It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 Winter Olympics - Back Up Plans or Cancellation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
No one is talking about this yet, but the coming 2018 Winter Olympics would appear to be between a rock and a hard place.

The only way I can see that the Olympics would be unaffected, would be for the Kim Jung Un to be removed without military action, relatively soon. If that happened, and if the transfer of power was to someone that wanted to bring stability to the region, well then the Olympics would have a great story line at that point, with full participation. (Does this seem likely to anyone? Maybe if China pulled it off, or if someone sane pulled off a coup from within the regime.)

If this is resolved militarily, and as predicted North Korea does hit Seoul and the rest of South Korea hard on the way out, then it would seem unlikely that hosting the Olympics is going to be appropriate. Remember we are only about eight months away, so if today 50 thousand people lost their lives in a conflict, would anyone even care about the Olympics?

If this is not resolved, then I just can't see anyway around tensions continuing to rise in the months ahead. Now if athletes were reluctant to go to Rio because of mesquito bites, then I just can't see them going someplace where there is very real danger of war breaking out. Seoul to Pyeongchang-gun is about a 78 miles from what I can tell but it isn't all that much further from them North Korean border, so I would guess it is also well within range of artillery fire and is probably a target as well.

Am I missing something here? Does everyone still think we will have an Olympics with full participation like it is no big deal? I just do not see that happening. However, a search of what the back up plans may be yields nothing, so if this is not resolved might we be looking at a chance for an out right cancellation?

In the grand scheme of things, this is just a sporting event, but there is an enormous amount of money tied to it and surely I cannot be the only one that recognizes the perils that lay ahead. It will be interesting to see what happens as we get closer.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Think about it.

Perfect false flag.

Perfect time to test a nuke.

So very perfect.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang will be OK.

North Korea may even participate.

North Korea won't do anything silly because there will be Chinese and Russian competitors there. They would not want to get their two paymasters riled, would they?

The OP misses out the obvious and most plausible option. That is, North Korea will do nothing to interfere or interrupt a global sporting competition.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
oh joy - another " will the olympics be canncelled // fail thread "

they are getting slightly boring and repetative - as we have had one for every games since 2012

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

as well as the PRC team attendance - i predict that chinese spectator numbers will be 2nd largest

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I still dream about the Russian drummer girls we saw at Sochi. All that slender feminine loveliness. The perfect antidote for the western female obesity epidemic.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

So it is your contention that nothing will happen with North Korea before then. No war, no escalation of tension?

For what it is worth I hope you are right.

edit on 29-5-2017 by Fullblast because: incomplete thought

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Not sure why you wanted to start out with fail thread attack. Just interested in what others think and ATS is the best place for that.

I believe most concern previously has been about facility completion. And your right nothing ever came from those, but I never thought it would. This to me is a bit different.

Remember, we saw some withdrawals of athletes from Rio for mesquito bites, and I believe even more will cancel for this.

I also believe you are right that they will go on as expected unless there is/has been a great lose of life. That is my case for cancelation, and in that situation, who really cares right?

edit on 29-5-2017 by Fullblast because: More complete thought

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
In case you haven't noticed it, the FIFA U-20 World Cup is already being played in South Korea.

top topics

join