It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comparing Conspiracy theory with Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Is it just me or does anyone else see similarities between Conspiracy theory and Religion. Here are a few points :

1)Both attempt to explain the unexplained about this world

2)Both draw from historical documents who's validity can't be absolutely proven, and use very little substantial fact and knowlege to prove that what they explain is the truth.

3)Both believe there is some higher power we are unaware of which controlls our destiny

I'm not saying conspiracy theory is wrong as I think its only natural for us to attempt to explain the unexplained, and i'd agree that there's many things that just dont add up in this world which could have conspiratorial explanations. But when people start believing conspiracy theory like it is outright fact (as many on this forum do) then they enter a belief system just like a religion.
Why do we all feel the need to attach ourselves to these belief systems? isnt it better to leave everything open for questioning so that when you acquire new knowlege you dont just discard most of it because it doesnt fit in with your current beliefs?

Keep an open mind people!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Going to have to diagree with you on this one.

1)Both attempt to explain the unexplained about this world

Conspiracy theories attempt to uncover the truth about what has already been explained even though it may have been lied about.

2)Both draw from historical documents who's validity can't be absolutely proven, and use very little substantial fact and knowlege to prove that what they explain is the truth.

Some conspiracy theories have been proven.

3)Both believe there is some higher power we are unaware of which controlls our destiny.

If I believe that say a spacific person or organization or government agency is creating a conspiracy then I am aware of that higher power.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Conspiracy theories attempt to uncover the truth about what has already been explained even though it may have been lied about.

That just backs up my orginal point

Some conspiracy theories have been proven.

Fair enough but many are based on pretty shaky evidence if u ask me.

If I believe that say a spacific person or organization or government agency is creating a conspiracy then I am aware of that higher power.

I was actually referring to the illuminati/NWO here not the government which we are all very much aware of.

Dont get me wrong here, i'm not saying that what you people do is bad, i think its interesting to here peoples ideas and discussions about conspiracies. And the great thing about conspiracy theory is that its always open for discussion, whereas religion is not. What I am doing is questioning why you have to believe that conspiracies are absolute truth. When you start thinking like that then conspiracy theory becomes no better than religious doctrine.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I think you made an interesting comparison.
Undoubtedly there are things happening in our world that are indeed conspiracies. I think as humans we will always seek explainations for what we experience when no explaination is readily apparent or provided.

Sometimes it causes a person to rush to a conclusion that others find extreme and unbelievable, but if not for this basic curiosity and ability to form a hypothesis, we would not have the amount and depth of pure science and discovery that we presently enjoy.

Originally posted by lost_soul
Why do we all feel the need to attach ourselves to these belief systems?

There is also some evidence now that the human brain in hardwired to seek religion / belief systems.

www.time.com...

new topics

top topics

join