It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pyongyang launches suspected ballistic missile – South Korean military

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I think it's more a case of chased it underground. Various rulers of Japan in it's fuedal/pre-industrial days tried to stamp out that samurai/warrior/militarist streak with less than stellar results...

I worked for a Japanese company, on a surimi manufacturing vessel, back in the day--not for long--I was lent to them by the American company I actually worked for...weird ass arrangement that thankfully didn't last for long.

I contrasted those men on that boat, with the stories my Dad told from his short time in Occupied Japan just after the bombs, and his time in Japan during the Korean war, of obsequious, even timid, men and women...and, frankly, I didn't see it. There's an underlying mentality in many, if not most, that is just waiting to come back out. The same one that rocked Asia and the Pacific to its foundations--and gave us all we wanted for a short time.

North Korea is playing a very dangerous game that I, personally, would urge them to rethink--the last time Japan decided Korea was a pain in the ass, they took it away from the Koreans for quite some time.

My impression, from others obviously, since I have no direct experience with their military, is of a tough, professional military that has blended the best of the samurai spirit/bushido, and left out the bad. My experience with lay professionals in a very important industry-fishing- is the same. I'm out of date on most of it, but I can't imagine it's changed much...

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

A 3rd US aircraft carrier task force has now been dispatched to North Korea.

USS Nimitz
USS Carl Vincent
USS Ronald Reagan
US moving 3rd aircraft carrier-led strike group towards North Korea in unprecedented show of force

Washington is sending its third aircraft carried-led strike group to the western Pacific stretch closer to the waters of the Korean peninsula in what is seen as an unusual show of force amid tensions in the region. USS Nimitz, one of the world's largest warships, will join two other supercarriers, USS Carl Vinson and USS Ronald Reagan, which are already sailing in the region.

It is extremely rare for the US to deploy three aircraft carriers simultaneously in the same region and this is additionally significant given the existing tensions in the Korean peninsula. The US Navy has not explicitly said Nimitz is intended for operations related to North Korea but said the aircraft carrier will be mobilised in Asia Pacific and the Middle East.

click link for article
edit on 28-5-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-5-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Links not working.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

There has not been official confirmation that all three will be there at the same time. Lincoln will not be one of them though. She's based in the Atlantic, not the Pacific, and was delivered bank to the fleet less than a month ago after RCOH. She's got workups and qualifications to do.

Vinson is nearing the end of her deployment. They extended her a month, but that's about up.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Links not working.

Fixed

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Really looks like more sensationalism from the media, gotta have that attention grabbing headline and then bury the truth in the story.

The US Navy has not explicitly said Nimitz is intended for operations related to North Korea but said the aircraft carrier will be mobilised in Asia Pacific and the Middle East.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Yeah thats my bad.. It is the Ronald Reagan and not Abe Lincoln.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Most likely what will happen is Reagan will meet up with Vinson and do their usual handover, after which Vinson will come home, and Nimitz will head to the South China Sea.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's incredibly provocative, and sooner or later they're going to miss the water, either intentionally or unintentionally. Hopefully, they'll have Aegis Ashore in place before then.

This weekly test (as promised by N.K. 3 weeks ago) landed in a busy shipping lane. Good thing there was no ship in the spot where it came down.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's incredibly provocative, and sooner or later they're going to miss the water, either intentionally or unintentionally. Hopefully, they'll have Aegis Ashore in place before then.

This weekly test (as promised by N.K. 3 weeks ago) landed in a busy shipping lane. Good thing there was no ship in the spot where it came down.
Wonder if there are attempts to recover the missiles?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Nothing has happened. Nothing will happen. No one is going to be doing anything. This is the same BS that's been going on for 10+ years and nothing still has happened. Even if a missle hits landfall in Japan that's their problem. The U.S. Shouldn't even be meddling in those affairs.

We need to be addressing the battles that are happening inside the U.S rather than fantasizing about theoretical ones outside our borders.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

Except for the fact the Korean war never ended. It only ended in a cease fire.

We have defense treaties with S. Korea and Japan so its very much our business. Not to mention we are present by a UN security council resolution.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

We have defense treaties with S. Korea and Japan
North Korea has a pact with China, the Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty.
Link

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

We have defense treaties with S. Korea and Japan so its very much our business. Not to mention we are present by a UN security council resolution.

If the U.S. would actively be an agressor by attacking the North Korean mainland it would quickly deteriorate into a total war. One which I don't think the United States could actually win.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

We have defense treaties with S. Korea and Japan
North Korea has a pact with China, the Sino-North Korean Mutual Aid and Cooperation Friendship Treaty.
Link

China may back away from North Korea if it keeps up its nuclear program

China is not obliged to help defend North Korea from military attack if the reclusive state developed nuclear weapons, according to Chinese diplomatic and military observers.

The assessment comes as senior officials in Washington warn of a strike against the Pyongyang regime.

China and North Korea signed a mutual aid and cooperation treaty in 1961 as they sought to mount a united front against Western powers. It specifies that if one of the parties comes under armed attack, the other should render immediate assistance, including military support.

But the treaty also says both nations should safeguard peace and security.

For China, North Korea’s development of nuclear weapons in violation of the United Nations treaty on non-proliferation could amount to a breach of their pact, leaving Beijing with no obligation to lend a hand, observers said.

China could also have a get-out clause if any US military intervention was not deemed an armed attack.

click link for article...

In this case N. Korea has pushed China a nuke to far...

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

If the U.S. would actively be an agressor by attacking the North Korean mainland it would quickly deteriorate into a total war. One which I don't think the United States could actually win.

21st century technology verse 1950's technology.

I like our odds.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard

21st century technology verse 1950's technology.

I like our odds.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Thats a touchy situation there.

I don't believe that China favors US involvement, that buffer zone they have in place works to their favor.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Agreed. It will be interesting to see how President Trump responds to this latest provocation from NK.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join