It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Wants To Defund Programs That Help Small Farmers Survive

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Actually it is part of the governments job to help farmers. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without food?

Not surprised at your failure to see the bigger picture here.
But I wouldn't call Bartlett an actual farmer.

Bartlett says his father had encouraged him and his siblings to not pursue careers in agriculture, and he initially heeded that advice — earning a bachelor’s degree in environmental studies at Dartmouth College and working with AmeriCorps to rebuild the homes of Hurricane Katrina victims in neighboring Louisiana, among other pursuits.

Sounds more like a wannabe Captain Planet...
Probably still owes on his student loans.
Credentials aside he still isn't actually producing much food.

The result was Home Place Pastures. Bartlett and his team grow and process pasture-raised pork, beef and lamb with a keen eye on humane handling and environmentally friendly practices. The farm now processes about 25 hogs, five steers and 20 lambs and goats a week, bringing in about $30,000 in revenue. And Bartlett has 12 farm employees, about half of whom live right in Como.

Employees 12 whole people and has requested more than 150k in federal assistance to employ costly farm practices. Though I agree with compassionately raised food. Forcing me to subsidize someones dream of doing so is asinine. Because as of right now it's not sustainable. Especially the way we Americans consume meat.

I give him credit for trying but he should put his efforts in creating sustainable farming practices rather than just picking the most humane one out of sheer virtue signal and expecting to be subsidized for it. Thanks but no thanks.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Really? Selling off the grain reserves of the US? Did they buy the USDA Ak47's a 10,000 rounds per employee?
I seem to remember record orders from the government of MRE's and other emergency supplies which must be for the elites because I never hear about FEMA giving out anything except vouchers in domestic emergencies.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
a reply to: Boadicea

Really? Selling off the grain reserves of the US?

It makes absolutely no sense to me either -- I was pretty shocked at the time. Vouchers have their place, but if there is no food to purchase with those vouchers, they're worthless pieces of paper. (Or would that be a plastic card with an RFID chip now?) Same for charity -- generosity is wonderful, but one cannot be generous with what one doesn't have.

Leaving us with only one possibility -- as you already alluded to -- those who control the food control the masses. The critters at the top will have food reserves no doubt...

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

First off, I try and be as self sufficient as possible, by growing the majority of my own produce, raising chickens, fishing a couple times a week in both summer and winter and always hope to get a moose for my freezer in the fall during hunting season. If I do hit the grocery store, it is usually for raw supplies such as flour, sugar, yeast etc...

Now have you ever had farm fresh strawberries from a small farm and compared them to the $2 Strawberries you get from Walmart that come from the mass farm and are strangely oversized? What about farm fresh eggs vs mass farmed eggs?, what about a free range chicken vs a mass farmed chicken that has been fed mass amounts of antibiotics and is put in brine right after is is slaughtered so when it hits the packaging plant it weighs more thus increasing profits. I could go on, but when you compare food from a small farm to something from a mass farm and sold in a Supercenter type store, the difference is that the food from a small farm tastes like food!!! If you have never had farm fresh food from a small farm I really feel for you as there is a HUGE difference in taste factor!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Is this that money they get to NOT grow corn?

Or is this that money they get for actually working but at double pay for the same crops?

No one should get money from the government unless they are poverty stricken and actually need BASIC assistance.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FenderTwin

I have a lot of respect for people that do their best to feed themselves without resorting to unethical or unhealthy practices. Self-sufficiency is never 100% but a matter of degrees and the close you are to 100 the better your odds are.

You're right, small farm food tastes and feels different than mass food products.

Welcome to ATS FenderTwin!
You'll find many like minds here and tons of good tips on how to improve self-sufficiency.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join