It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Wants To Defund Programs That Help Small Farmers Survive

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

Farming is very profitable if done right and without subsidies. If done right there is no waste in farming. A seed becomes food or a plant which replenishes the soil. Two sheep can become ten and so on. Actually small scale farming can be more profitable than large scale operations.

Niche farming is most profitable whether it be an organic operation or fruit trees. Both farmers can expect to come out way ahead. not necessarily multi millionaires but very comfortable. Accounting and marketing and old fashioned hard work is what it takes.

The average small farmer makes an average 60 thousand a year to 107 thousand a year. Less than 10% make under 30 thousand. It does take a good head and patience but farmers do well.

work.chron.com...

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Willtell
I’d bet you a dime to a dollar that the programs like the tax breaks for the oil companies will NEVER cut under Trump.

No business or industry should be getting government handouts. The Federal Government should not be in the business of picking winners or losers.

LIke - Big Finance, Big Agriculture, Big Pharma, Big Arms... They all get huge taxpayer handouts. Get rid of those first ... then talk about small businesses of all kinds.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well, of course he is. They voted for him, after all, and they are the very people Trump and the GOP will eat first.

Irony? The people who will remain largely unaffected by the GOP schemes are the ones the GOP and it's supporters constantly attacked and blame for all the worlds evils: young urban liberal college grad professionals.

Hey, they voted for it, so they wanted it, it's theirs.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I know a tobacco farmer in N.C. For generations that is what his family did.The government stepped in an offered a boatload of money per month NOT to grow tobacco. Now they collect the check and grow pecans.
Is this one of the subsidies ?
This was stopped during Obama's first term. Wonder how many others continue
Peace.
edit on 5/29/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell
Paying people not to grow anything is a big waste,the taxpayers are footing the bill,these farmers need to back to farming,and start growing and selling,just like it used to be,there are way too many subsidies,and with them the red tape and the government panels,get the federal government out of peoples lives

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
Actually it is part of the governments job to help farmers. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without food?

Actually is part of the government's job to help big oil. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without gasoline?

See how that works.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
LIke - Big Finance, Big Agriculture, Big Pharma, Big Arms... They all get huge taxpayer handouts. Get rid of those first ... then talk about small businesses of all kinds.

I just said to get rid of all of them. Who cares what friggin order they are in, scrap all subsidies wholesale tomorrow.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
Wait... You don't think our food supply should ne subsidized?

No.

I'm sorry but you're crazy.

Says the person who wants the Federal Government deciding what businesses to prop up.

Farming isn't profitable but it's necessary.

Bull****. There are successful farmers and there are unsuccessful farmers, the government shouldn't be propping the latter up at the expense of the taxpayer.

And if the government d idnt subsidize... the only way farmers could break even or profit.. is by jacking up food costs to unaffordable levels...

Straw man. Your assumption is that no one knows how to turn a profit in the entire industry which is absurd.

That's crazy!

What's crazier is your inability to comprehend simple free market economics.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

originally posted by: Metallicus

Things need to survive without artificial support.

Subsidies only prolong the inevitable and waste tax payer money.

You should give that speech to the oil companies, Pharmaceutical companies and all the defense contractors we waste hundreds of billions on every year.

Ok so really then isnt it better to support the really big guys that can feed millions and not Joe niche farmer? Let him go under then we wont have to waste tax money paying him not to farm.

The big farms you are talking about doesn't need the subsidies because they pay next to nothing to the illegal immigrants that work for them. But it's not a good idea to subsidize farms that feed their communities and others but are barely making it. If you guys are so die hard anti illegal immigrant then you should be pushing for the money to be cut off from the big farms.
edit on 5460000005531America/ChicagoMon, 29 May 2017 07:06:55 -05002010 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Actually it is part of the governments job to help farmers. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without food?

Actually is part of the government's job to help big oil. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without gasoline?

See how that works.

This nation operated quite well before gasoline was ever invented but it didn't operate that well without food. So no it isn't the job of the government to prop up big oil.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   

This nation operated quite well before gasoline was ever invented but it didn't operate that well without food. So no it isn't the job of the government to prop up big oil.

This nation operated quite well before the internet was ever invented but it didn't operate that well without food. So no it isn't the job of the government to prop up internet access.

We can do this all day.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
Somehow I suspect there's been food production long before subsidies. Kind of disingenuous to suggest there'd be 'no food' without subsidies.

Dumbass argument. There is a finite amount of farmable land yet an increasing population. When farmers, as they have been, are faced with bankruptcy or selling their farmland to developers, far too many are forced to do the latter. That pattern results in less and less farm land with a larger and larger demand for food. The whole idea of subsidies is to prevent exactly this from happening. It is intended to keep farms sustainable to prevent our permanently losing farm land. Once it's gone you can't get it back.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I live in a farming community, many rich farmers claiming low income to get "help" with their electric bills while driving their new pickups and living in their big beautiful new houses. SMH

I've never seen a poor farmer.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Things need to survive without artificial support.

Subsidies only prolong the inevitable and waste tax payer money.

Not true. You’re just espousing dogma my friend that may sound good but doesn’t jibe with reality. In an age of the big Agra business, small farmers are being wiped out. Do some research and you’ll see.

That’s why even the usual selfish republicans even support the aid to small farmers.

theeconomiccollapseblog.com...

No, they support getting votes and staying in power in DC.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

These small farmers who are becoming obsolete in an age of Monsanto.

The cause to me is irrelevant. If your business model is not profitable the government should not be subsidizing you at the expense of others.

Promoting the General Welfare does not mean actual modern welfare, it means promoting laws that give every person an equal opportunity to achieve success. How they pursue their own success is their own business so long as it does not harm others.

I'm all for dropping subsidies to ALL companies and letting the chips fall where they may. Lower the taxes to all companies across the board and stop giving special loopholes to the big businesses. Part of the problem with agriculture right now are the arbitrary price controls on food that are skewing the actual market, which come from legal strings that are attached to government subsidy.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

I just said to get rid of all of them. Who cares what friggin order they are in, scrap all subsidies wholesale tomorrow.

maybe if you looked at "THE WHY" these subsidies were created in the first place, you might have a better grasp of the big picture.....it's like with every regulation and law passed, there was a reason. your simplistic solution seems to be in vogue these days.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
maybe if you looked at "THE WHY" these subsidies were created in the first place, you might have a better grasp of the big picture.....it's like with every regulation and law passed, there was a reason. your simplistic solution seems to be in vogue these days.

The 'why' is irrelevant to me. If your business model is a money loser it needs to go away and not be supported by the taxpayer.

I had several businesses, how would you have liked to have been paying me to keep them open at a loss?

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
So here is my question; Is this the grant that tells farms to let fields sit fallow, even though it could still be planted?

I know over here in germany I see that they rotate the crops pretty regularly, when I asked I was told the different crops help to a degree with keeping the soil nutrient rich, coupled with the deep level tiller. (forget the actual name)

If there are ways for farmers to keep growing it seems foolish and a waste to not have them growing if they could.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Did you ever hear of the American Great Dust Bowl? Agriculture policies and rules were set up to prevent that from happening again.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

And there are techniques that have been discovered since that allow a more or less constant use of farm fields with little impact on the environment...

According to the German Farmers I have talked to leaving it fallow is a measure of last resort.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join