It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Wants To Defund Programs That Help Small Farmers Survive

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
They couldn’t beat Obama twice so they got a arch deceiver who claimed he would help the poor, lower and middle class. That doesn’t look to good now does it?

I would take what you're saying a hell of a lot more seriously if you didn't display your obvious hatred of Trump in every single post... If he's done something wrong, I want to know about it. An evidently biased post makes me lose attention and makes me think that you're hyping it up because it has no substance.

Maybe you should take a step back.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

The cause to me is irrelevant. If your business model is not profitable the government should not be subsidizing you

Food isn't just a business, why the hell should we even have a government if it can't do anything that actually helps people?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Farm subsidies started in the 1930's after the American Dust Bowl. About 75% of the subsides wind up in the hands of the big corporate farmers, not the individual family farmers you are speaking but the big boys like Pilgrims Pride, Archer Daniel Midland, and Riceland Foods. The small farmer are doing rather well like Bruce Springsteen who receives subsides for leasing land to an organic farmer, Bonjovi who has bee hives, and former President Jimmy Carter and media giant Ted Turner, all millionaires who should not get subsides and really if they had any kind of conscious, they wouldn't ask.

The average farmer in America has an annual income 29 percent higher than other Americans, I live in what was once an agricultural community so while in school, I noticed that all the farmer kids were very well off. A lot of the payments made to farmers under these programs are to keep them from farming their land so there is not an over supply, that's right, they are paid to do nothing.

It was started as a temporary solution to an emergency situation but here we are 6 decades later with the program still running strong. There is a lot of fraud as well in the program, The American tax payer pays 60 % of the farmers insurance cost and handle any payouts due to crop damages. 1500 residents in New York City, 374 of them on the plush East Side received payouts, one of them named Rockefeller gets 300 thousand plus each year.

theweek.com...

We cannot continue at this pace or we will be insolvent before long. This program that the President is looking to stop is also a duplicate as in there are other programs already accomplishing the goals. The biggest stumbling block to stopping farm subsidies is of course politics and the fact that this program also includes the monies for the Food Stamp Program.

Funny how you complain about the rich getting tax cuts when it looks like THIS program is just that but worse, it is a Direct Deposit for many. The same famous people out there yelling about Republicans this and that, are the very ones taking advantage of programs like this, Springsteen and Bonjovi, Mr. Carter and especially Rockefeller. We have to start some where to get a grip on this and then rebuild with what is left but this notion of something for nothing or because I am poor and your rich has to stop

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Well , believe it or not, republicans agree with me on this one.

They even understand that capitalism is not divine and does not come out fair all the time and the powerful can manipulate it to their own benefit.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Willtell

Things need to survive without artificial support.

Subsidies only prolong the inevitable and waste tax payer money.

You should give that speech to the oil companies, Pharmaceutical companies and all the defense contractors we waste hundreds of billions on every year.

I don't support any subsidies so you are preaching to the choir.

It is all a waste of taxpayer money.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Check into how much of those agri subsidies go to large corporations.

Funny thing. Where I live, the guys getting AG subsidies hate that the government helps out people, except them.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

And don't forget the nuclear power industry, which literally can't survive without govt assistance.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

They couldn’t beat Obama twice so they got a arch deceiver who claimed he would help the poor, lower and middle class. That doesn’t look to good now does it?

I would take what you're saying a hell of a lot more seriously if you didn't display your obvious hatred of Trump in every single post... If he's done something wrong, I want to know about it. An evidently biased post makes me lose attention and makes me think that you're hyping it up because it has no substance.

Maybe you should take a step back.

You see your wrong. I don't hate Trump. In-fact I have on occasion said good things about him.
Its his policies that can do damage to human beings that I hate

His actions has proven him to be awful. You judge people by their deeds.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
More fake outrage...

Obviously it is time to impeach the bastard...

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

And people ask me why I am not a Trump supporter, this is one of the answers my friends.

I hate Trump as much as I hate regressive leftists.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
If this is the subsidy program I am thinking it is, it does not help small farmers much. Most of the subsidy goes to large scale corporate farms. It helps about two to three percent of the farmers in the country the most, the biggest ones. Farmers can buy into an insurance policy, that helps way more smaller farmers than the subsidies do. Of course our government likes to give money to the biggest guys.

I am not sure if this is the program this thread is about though. I was studying how these programs for farmers work a few years ago and I was kind of shocked who they helped the most.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I suspect 'Democrats' will be named an endangered species sooner rather than later. On a par with the Dodo bird.

The Dodo isn't endangered it's extinct. May want to learn the difference.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Corporatism.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: buster2010

And don't forget the nuclear power industry, which literally can't survive without govt assistance.
Agreed but they can only get their fuel from the government so why doesn't the government just take over the nuclear power industry.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Things need to survive without artificial support.

Subsidies only prolong the inevitable and waste tax payer money.

You should give that speech to the oil companies, Pharmaceutical companies and all the defense contractors we waste hundreds of billions on every year.

Ok so really then isnt it better to support the really big guys that can feed millions and not Joe niche farmer? Let him go under then we wont have to waste tax money paying him not to farm.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Im not big on subsidies, but sometimes there is a national interest in doing so, and food production is equally as crucial as energy production. Diversity of crop and farmer are essential to a prosperous country. Farmers are already barely staying in business.

To remove such a subsidy, protective tariffs and other farmer protections would need to be implemented.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Fruits and vegetable prices as have already gone up. I'm not looking forward to this administration's Farm Bill!

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I’d bet you a dime to a dollar that the programs like the tax breaks for the oil companies will NEVER cut under Trump.

No business or industry should be getting government handouts. The Federal Government should not be in the business of picking winners or losers.

Fine, then lets wait and se Trump cut the tax breaks for the rich

Must we go over this yet again? What tax breaks? The top 50% pay 97% of the taxes already. The top 10% pay 67% of all taxes, and that's an income of about $115K, hardly "rich" in any city in America. And the "greedy" oil companies. Okay. Who do you think makes more money on a gallon of gas? The oil companies or the government? You know what's coming, don't you? The Federal government takes 18 cents a gallon. state & local take another 19 cents (varies widely). The oil companies? 6 cents a gallon. The fact is tat the government takes far more money from a gallon of gas than the oil companies, and far more in taxes from so-called rich people.

Tat Trump does not want government to pay farmers to not grow crops is to me a very good thing. How about just taxing them less? How about government not taxing the crap out of farmland forcing farmers to sell because they are land rich and cash poor? There are lots of solutions out there that don't mean just giving money away.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Wait... You don't think our food supply should ne subsidized?

I'm sorry but you're crazy.

Farming isn't profitable but it's necessary.

And if the government d idnt subsidize... the only way farmers could break even or profit.. is by jacking up food costs to unaffordable levels...

And we already have hungry under people!

That's crazy!

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

These small farmers who are becoming obsolete in an age of Monsanto.

The cause to me is irrelevant. If your business model is not profitable the government should not be subsidizing you at the expense of others.

Actually it is part of the governments job to help farmers. How do you hope to promote the general welfare of the nation without food?

Somehow I suspect there's been food production long before subsidies. Kind of disingenuous to suggest there'd be 'no food' without subsidies.

I have 180 acres in the Texas panhandle. I know how to play the game; I'm gonna get my subsidies for putting my land in the soil bank and not grow anything until the prices skyrocket for cotton and onions. Or grow cannabis, just a matter of time....
edit on 28-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join