It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump to hungry seniors: Drop dead

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Indigo5

No, but seriously, I find it laughable that ANYONE says some are monsters for not wanting to do for others when those same people advocate for less than frugal spending by government.

Honestly have no idea what you are trying to say?

Government should never be any larger than it needs to be. I am a fan of cutting fat at every opportunity.

I just do not consider helping the least of us, or affording older Americans the ability to eat as excess that warrants elimination.

And conservatives have utterly abandoned any right to pretend they care about fiscal conservatism.
Trump's budget calls for a 54 Billion dollar increase in spending this year.

All of the services provided by this act ...health, Falls prevention, meals on wheels etc. cost 511M annually...

One tenth of one percent of trump's proposed INCREASE to military spending of 54B this year.

How the Trump Budget Could Bury the U.S. in Debt
fortune.com...

edit on 30-5-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't think they will go hungry. I think it will simply force people out of retirement.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Sounds terrible if that is the case.
Is it all about Federal government issues or can the people change things like meals for vulnerable old folk at a state/county level?
Would a state/county candidate stand a chance if they supported tax funded services like that while bypassing the Federal level?

It depends on the State. California for example could very easily fund this program on it's own and has the political will to do so...as long as it was able to send less tax dollars to the Federal Government. California is a profit center for the Fed though...the Fed gets more than it gives, and it wouldn't let that Golden Goose go.

Ironically, the states least financially equipped to backfill this program on their own are mostly conservative.

The other issue is that Trump's spending plans significantly ADD to Federal Expenditures and decrease revenues.

So this doesn't represent savings to the Federal Government, it just VERY slightly reduces the increased spending deficit on Military and other things and a tiny bit off-sets the huge tax cuts planned for corporations and the wealthy.

Any way you look at it, trumps budget adds trillions to the spending deficit, this and many other cuts to assistance programs is just a way of making those trillions in additional deficit appear ever so slightly smaller.

Actually that is what I find most offensive...Increasing Military Spending in one year by 10,000 times what the budget of this program costs?

It isn't a savings...All these cuts just reduces the additional spending by a tiny percent. Cutting these programs is more moral messaging and platform. That is kind of what makes it so ugly a policy.

edit on 30-5-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Miracula2
I don't think they will go hungry. I think it will simply force people out of retirement.

What kind of job do you see for an 83 yr old crippled woman in a wheel chair, like my friend down the road.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The Meals on Wheels program is for people that either can't drive...or SHOULDN'T be driving any longer..

Folks that are so old that they can't safely operate a motor vehicle should not be forced out of retirement.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Thanks for the informative answer

It seems crazy to me that the Fed's are even involved in schemes like food for vulnerable old folk, or care services.
Even in little UK such services are administered by City Halls and local government. The only input from UK 'federal' government is setting minimum standards for care policy, and reimbursing city halls with funding grants where local taxes are in shortfall.

Although the UK is small the differences in the way local government administers things around the nation is quite noticeable, and of course because different areas have different needs, rural/city etc.
The differences between states in the US is massively noticeable, so federal schemes would surely need to be flexible.
'One size fits all' could never work for every state.

Your federal schemes seem a lot similar to EU schemes trying to create uniformity among 28 member countries.
I voted to leave the EU because I think a sovereign UK can do a better job free of the EU 'Fed's', I wonder how many states in the US think the same.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Senator Jeff Flake, R, Arizona, just released a report of 50 absurd things funded by the government.

Fish on treadmills, Fraternity party metrics and barbie doll popularity gauges.....

Yet Democrats think they are a solution to a Republican problem. Perhaps they are right. Or maybe both are part of the problem of low common sense amongst so much partisan BS.

Before anyone gets an ear from me about needs being met I want to hear an in depth conversation from them about waste.

Check the report out. There is your budget and then some.

edit on 5 30 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

What kind of job do you see for an 83 yr old crippled woman in a wheel chair, like my friend down the road.

Sounds like a bounty hunter to me. Weight lifting. Some martial arts training. She could be tracking down criminals in a wheel chair.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't know why but your post caused me to have a flash back.

When I was a child there was a meals on foot program.

The ladies in the neighborhood took turns cooking for the elderly and they made us children deliver the meals to their homes. Sometimes they made us sit with them to help them out with things that was difficult for them to do like, get them water or change the TV channel. We didn't have remotes back then.

We would stay until one of them came to relieve us.

I even remember when they had a special collection at the church to replace the furnace in one of the neighbor's home. They had young children and couldn't afford to buy a new one. They would have froze to death it the community hadn't come together to help.

But that was a long time ago, in a town were everyone was struggling. They found that it was so much easier when you struggle together.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Thanks for the informative answer

It seems crazy to me that the Fed's are even involved in schemes like food for vulnerable old folk, or care services.
Even in little UK such services are administered by City Halls and local government. The only input from UK 'federal' government is setting minimum standards for care policy, and reimbursing city halls with funding grants where local taxes are in shortfall.

Not so different. Meals on Wheels also receives local funds and charitable contributions. The Fed backfills what is necessary. The issue here in the states is that we are a geographically BIG and economically diverse country.

For context...geographically...from the southern tip of England to the northern tip of Scotland would only occuply Half of California alone.

In impoverished rural communities the tax dollars are not there and locals can't afford to give as much...so taxes from Silicon Valley help meals on wheels in rural Tennessee.

Although the UK is small the differences in the way local government administers things around the nation is quite noticeable, and of course because different areas have different needs, rural/city etc.

Right..

Your federal schemes seem a lot similar to EU schemes trying to create uniformity among 28 member countries.
I voted to leave the EU because I think a sovereign UK can do a better job free of the EU 'Fed's', I wonder how many states in the US think the same.

Rumblings...Texas and California being the most notable about talking about exiting the union.

Despite the increased partisanship here, most still recognize that "United" at the end of the day is the root of our power.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I will check it out, but I recall from the last list Flake put together a few years back...He BSed a whole lot once fact-checked.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Despite the increased partisanship here, most still recognize that "United" at the end of the day is the root of our power.

An old movie "Enemy Mine" does a fairly good job of showing what happens when even enemies find themselves alone, hungry, cold, and desperate.

Sometimes survival depends on working together instead fighting against each other.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

What a wonderful story...

Truth is, sometime in the early 1980's we were told that Women joining the workforce would mean everyone could work less, maybe 4 day weeks, lot's of extra money.

Then a few years later we were told that computers would make us so much more productive that we would work less and make more money...

Now both parents work ungodly hours to just get by...and are on-call via email and cell phones every day of the week..if they are lucky enough to be getting by.

That is a whole different issue..But having spare time and spare money to contribute is less common these days.

We need to fix things in this country...but until then we need to care for the elderly and dangerously poor until we can figure out better solutions for them and us. Letting old people suffer so someone driving a Ferrari can afford their 3rd boat ain't the answer, that's all I know..

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

An old movie "Enemy Mine" does a fairly good job of showing what happens when even enemies find themselves alone, hungry, cold, and desperate.

Sometimes survival depends on working together instead fighting against each other.

We remember we are "United" and find our American Strength when we are attacked...

We just need to figure out how to do that when planes are not flying into buildings.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
It isn't lost on me that the only time leftists (who otherwise loathe the military) care about veterans is when they think they can gain some political advantage by exploiting them.

The OP's main "source" is an Alt-Left bird-cage-liner in the mold of Daily Kos and Move On. The "story" is replete with qualifiers like "could" and "some sources say" (unnamed as usual). It also begins with the usual liberal smoke-and-mirrors lie by stating that "millions" will be affected by these proposed cuts.

Nothing could be further from the truth...

The "source" repeatedly uses the example of the "Meals On Wheels" NGO -- a charitable organization fractionally funded by Federal block grants to the tune of about 3%. Even far left CNN backs me up on that...

Federal Funds make up 3% of Meals on Wheels Budget

The lie here -- and it is a lie meant to deceive the uninformed for political gain, is that these minimal cuts affect millions. They don't. In fact, they won't affect anyone. Everyone in the system now -- whether deserving or not, will still be visited by the Freebie Fairy on a regular basis.

The issue Trump & Co. are trying to address is far bigger in scope and scale than a few dollars per month in bennies to a tiny number of veterans. They are trying to fix the failed block grant and social welfare system to better serve its recipients and make them less dependent on government at the same time.

As everyone who's truly studied the social welfare system in this country knows, there is an undeniable and panoptic phenomenon that rules all: need is generated by supply. You want proof, you say...?

In the 8 years of the Obama Administration, even during a supposed economic "recovery", almost ELEVEN MILLION more were added to the food stamp program -- an increase of almost ONE THIRD (32%). Why? Could it be that the "need" followed the supply? Guess how much the food stamp budget was increased under Obama...? If you guessed 32%, then you get an extra cookie after dinner (you must eat all your Brussels sprouts first though!).

The bottom line is, not one veteran who wasn't mentally or terminally ill, starved to death in this country for lack of access to FREE food before the massive wealth redistribution of LBJ's "Great Society". Today, in the richest country in the history of mankind, with an economy that is (finally) coming back to life, almost 1-in-6 of our citizens receive food aid.

Where does that end? Should everyone get "free" food just so it's "fair"? "Free" healthcare? "Free" housing? "Free" internet? "Free" clothes? Where does it end...?

The OP clearly pines for the demise of the conservative (Republican) government we now enjoy. That's simply not going to happen -- liberals don't have the power to do it politically and the electorate is obviously not behind them at this point.

In fact, it's off-topic by a mile, but there is a new analysis out this morning by the brilliant Michael Patrick Leahy ("Democrats Face Long Odds of Taking the House Back in 2018": Breitbart) breaking down the 2018 mid-terms and it's a bleak scenario for leftists.

I personally find the Alt-Left tactic of lying about Republicans pushing granny over the cliff in a wheelchair laughably stale at this point. I'm pretty sure most of the rest of the voters are onto that one too...

edit on 30-5-2017 by SBMcG because: Correction

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
It isn't lost on me that the only time leftists (who otherwise loathe the military) care about veterans is when they think they can gain some political advantage by exploiting them.

It is sad that your reality is dictated by political propaganda.

Less vitriol and dishonesty will serve you better in life...and I really do mean you. People like me can just ignore it and move on, folks like you have to live with yourself..Be better to yourself.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: WUNK22

There are many Americans, even right here on ATS, that leave me with the impression that non-Americans are more important than Americans regarding every aspect of existing on this planet. For instance, many of these folks I refer to believe with all their hearts and minds that someone in the US illegally should be treated better as well as being afforded all the rights and privileges of actual citizens - especially if those citizens are politically opposite or not-the-right-religion to these Americans who prefer non-Americans to Americans.

It's sad that a lack of education, a weak mind and lots of belief in state sanctioned propaganda leads these folks to think that citizens should be kicked-out so non-citizens can take their place.

Yes there's no reason to keep helping foreign nationals and illegals if we have to cut senior benefits to stop the crashing of our economy.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
www.palmbeachpost.com...
www.theguardian.com...
www.google.com... 024&bih=532
This is just a drop in the bucket now instead of letting it rote in the fields why note give it to hungry people .
Really people arguing about feeding the world when the world does this ?
FACT the Untied States has enough arable land to feed the worlds population TWICE OVER .
FACT the United States out spends every other country combined by 3 times IN WAR efforts .
Fact even if we cut that in half we would still have 25 % MORE weapons then every one else combined .T disregard for life .Any life When we get suicide people on buildings sure as the rain falls there will be thous saying JUMP .
FACT i saved a man from drowning once 30 other people all telling me just to wate and let the cops handle it .
29 out of 30 Americans would have let taht man drowned .
Fact a older teen was beating teh heck out of a 9 or 10 year old wile 20 people stood and did NOTHING .
Fact I step in took a hit and stopped the fight my reward ( being arrested ) .
This is the real america ( we alest use to put on a good face but now we dont bother to do even that .)
But let me say FACT YOUR COUNTRY is just the same .

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: SBMcG

It is sad that your reality is dictated by political propaganda.

Less vitriol and dishonesty will serve you better in life...and I really do mean you. People like me can just ignore it and move on, folks like you have to live with yourself..Be better to yourself.

Due to a standing threat of account deletion by a mod, I will to longer respond in kind to personal attacks.

Thank you.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Did you know donut shops and bakerys through away the Whole inventory of food every 8 hours .
Our grocery stores the same .
In thsi town we do have a publix that donates its unsold slightly out of date food .
It is amazing JUST ONE store and half teh towns neeed have freash well everything all because they did nto through it away .
ps churches pick it up and give it out . ( i should know the lady next door is a member my son hasnt ahd to by food in months . ( could he buy it him self ? sure but turning down extra food is foolish )
You turn down eggsa dn bacon and hamburger and chicken ( most accedently frozen when shoudl be freash .

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join