It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Strange Weather In Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
At this time of the year you would expect visitors and Australians to see grassy mountain slopes where visitors would normally go hiking and enjoy nature. But the weather in Australia has been very strange to say the least. On Thursday February 3rd, wild storms lashed parts of the country bringing floods and bitter cold as an intense low pressure system moved across several states in the country. It should be summer in Australia right now, but the system also brought some of the lowest temperatures over parts of the country. In parts of the country people had to huddle and stay home because of the freezing temperatures in eastern Australia.

www.smh.com.au
The unusual weather that turned summer into winter in eastern Australia also had meteorologists gasping, with some describing it as among the most extraordinary they had witnessed.

Melbourne was under water after experiencing the heaviest rainfall in 24 hours since records began in 1856. Huge waves in Bass Strait smashed windows on a ferry on its way to Tasmania. And the cold snap across NSW saw February records for minimum overnight temperatures broken in many country towns.

A senior forecaster at the Bureau of Meteorology, Elly Spark, said the cause of the havoc, a low-pressure system that developed late on Wednesday to the east of Bass Strait, was extremely intense, equivalent to a tropical cyclone.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The winds in that part of the country exceeded 100 kmh, and in the mountains there were gusts of more than 120 kmh.

This is for sure some strange weather over Australia, i hope all the members of ATS and ATSNN that live in Australia are alright, and perhaps they can tell us themselves how the weather is over there at this time.

Related News Links:

www.khaleejtimes.com

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I will put some pictures of the weather in Australia as a reply. Here they are.

That's some pretty nasty weather.

BTW, the pictures come from both links I gave above.

Actually, I did not give the link to the other pictures, here it is.

www.stevequayle.com...

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Interesting story.
Do any of you think any of this strange weather that has been occuring all over the world might have something to do with the HUGE earthquake and the following Tsunami in ASIA?
I live in Los Angeles, California, and it is not unheard of us here in sunny So. Cal. to actually have some weather but we had some crazy windy rainy weather for 2 weeks straight. (20+ inches for the month of JAN.05)
In my 30 years in Calli, I had not seen such a storm pattern locally.

IMHO - we are going to see alot wierd weather patterns all over the globe from now on.

PS> again, IMHO - The whole issue with global warming might be the root cause...???

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
and global warming doesn't exist?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Good coverage. Nice pics. Thanks.

Gools posted an interesting link to an article tying all this stuff together - it was written by a Russian ...anthropologist(?) - apparently the Russian higher-ups are starting to hide out in some under-mountain complex...

Will try to find the post...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I was thinking the same thing about the tsunami/earthquake causing strange weather around the globe. A butterfly flaps it's wings and it causes a weather pattern change, similar effect but taken to the extreme.

I live in Las Vegas, and it rained nonstop for 2 weeks as well. We are a desert community, and there was nasty flooding.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
here in lubbock texas we had 1 week of rain straight....seemed like 24/7 the whole time...near the 6th day it lightened up ....the next day when it finally ended it was over....it could have somewhere while i was sleeping but i dont think it did

here in West Texas; we consider this on the border of the desert/great plains grasslands
conditions here are great for 2 things; mesquite and little round cacti

a whole week of rain is ....bizzare
not to mention its snowed 3 times here already..in my life ive never seen it snow more than twice in one year.. the winters not over yet either so it may go ever futher beyond records
we were lucky to get an Inch in one year *snow*
this years total is near 1 foot.....

i think the story of Australia and all of your storys ...show a pattern

there is a Good chance; this could be caused by human pollution
or human meddling of some sort...

when will we do something about it?
can we?

[edit on 4-2-2005 by muzzleflash]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
I live in Las Vegas, and it rained nonstop for 2 weeks as well.

Yikes! I've been there when it rained for six hours and there was flooding. I'd hate to see 2 weeks worth. Those tiny pipes will get you every time.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Brrrrr. Chilly chilly Canberra, Australia. 30 degrees one day 8 the next. ( well maybe over 2 days ) What a change in weather. I'm glad its not so cold today. It's meant to be summer!. Apparently the record low for february in Canberra is 2 degrees. It was 3 degrees min the other day. The shock factor is when it gos from hot to cold so quick. Brrrr.

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 04:48 AM
link   
gday guys
im in surburbian area of south east melbourne, last wednesday morning it was sunny and later that morning it was raining for about 24hours just about non-stop, which ive never seen before. it rained the next 2 nights after that... very wierd

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The 3rd of February was the coldest February day on Record!!

I'm about an hour or so east of Melbourne.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have some pic's taken by one of my neighbours.
The first one is my back gate, and the rest are of my neighbours (upstream) about 1km being rescued by the Police/Ambo' chopper. I evacuated by car earlier.

Sanc'.

new topics

top topics

join