It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Plans to Shoot Down ICBM

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Article in New York Post

Preparing for North Korea’s growing threat, the Pentagon will try to shoot down an intercontinental-range missile for the first time in a test next week. The goal is to more closely simulate a North Korean ICBM aimed at the U.S. homeland, officials said Friday.

Sounds like a good test. I think this is the best message we can send to lil Kim. Although, apparently it isn't an easy feat.

The American interceptor has a spotty track record, succeeding in nine of 17 attempts against missiles of less-then-intercontinental range since 1999. The most recent test, in June 2014, was a success, but that followed three straight failures. The system has evolved from the multibillion-dollar effort triggered by President Ronald Reagan’s 1983 push for a “Star Wars” solution to ballistic missile threats during the Cold War — when the Soviet Union was the only major worry.

So, we know we can do it but it's been a long time since we've been under that kind of threat. I have confidence that it can be done reliably. They should get the NASA guys involved. After all, they can successfully drop rovers on mars which ESA knows is no easy task.

The basic defensive idea is to fire a rocket into space upon warning of a hostile missile launch. The rocket releases a 5-foot-long device called a “kill vehicle” that uses internal guidance systems to steer into the path of the oncoming missile’s warhead, destroying it by force of impact. Officially known as the Ground-based Midcourse Defense system, the Pentagon likens it to hitting a bullet with a bullet.

I'd love to see this in action!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If someone shot down one of our missile tests, we would be at war with them immediately.

Do you really see this ending well? I'll bet one of their subs tries to sink the boat.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
If someone shot down one of our missile tests, we would be at war with them immediately.

Do you really see this ending well? I'll bet one of their subs tries to sink the boat.

You even read what he posted?

+1 more 
posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

They're shooting down a Minuteman fired from Vandenberg into the Pacific.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LogicalGraphitti

They say its pretty difficult even knowing the data of where the ICBM will be heading.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: randomthoughts12

The system, prior to the kill vehicle redesign and SBX changes had a 50% success rate.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

It's a test of our ability to shoot down an incoming ICBM. It's interesting in that we are under a threat should NK succeed in building rockets that can reach mainland USA. I think of it as a backup plan to getting NK to stop their nuclear ambition. I doubt Kim Jong Un is going to change his plans anytime soon. This is better than the alternative of a preemptive strike on Pyongyang. I'm glad to see this option being tested.
edit on 5-26-2017 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomthoughts12

They say its pretty difficult even knowing the data of where the ICBM will be heading.

Right. That's what made me think of NASA and how they can thread a needle with impossible odds. Those guys know how to live up to a challenge. The point is, we can do it. It may take a while but right now we have time while NK is still working on long range misses.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The MDA is putting the MOKV kill vehicle on the fast track.

www.defenseone.com...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Can those ICBMs be steered at all- like the cruise missile, or are they just locked into a trajectory at launch?
If the test is to be legitimate the interceptor team would have to be unaware of the chosen target.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Imagine the success rate if the kill vehicle were tactical nukes.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Barliman

New missiles have limited steering ability as part of their counter to anti missile systems. They also use decoys that read the same as actual warheads to the radar.

The issue with not knowing the target area is that there are only so many areas they can fire the missile towards that are our test ranges. Barking Sands is too close. That pretty much only leaves Kwajallain.
edit on 5/26/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barliman

Can those ICBMs be steered at all- like the cruise missile, or are they just locked into a trajectory at launch?
If the test is to be legitimate the interceptor team would have to be unaware of the chosen target.

They undoubtedly have correction programs. You cant anticipate every gust of wind on an intercontinental flight.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I can't believe we would do they unless we had a fool-proof method. (Perhaps the supposed method and then a laser from space or ocean ship to be a backup.)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It was my understanding that NK's recent test of a medium-range missile was a success, and they can reach Alaska and Hawaii.

There's been talk of more sanctions and diplomacy (so much for the end to "strategic patience") but on the other hand, I read speculation that we could attack NK once our Potus returns from his trip. The G7 summit will end tomorrow.

Does anyone else believe that we're on the brink of WWIII? I don't see how this could end well, given how this conflict is ramping up.

Does anyone know if NK has the capability of using LACM's?
edit on 26-5-2017 by dianajune because: forgot something

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The test shot will have a self destruct on it.

We can't set up a test like this in front of the world's stage while the DPRK is watching and risk it's failure. The test shot will explode regardless of our ability to shoot it after it takes off. No matter what the publicly acknowledged narrative will be successful. The only ones who will know whether it actually passes or fails will be the Pentagon.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

The missile they tested had an estimated range of about 2400 nm IIRC. They flew it almost straight up, not on a normal trajectory, so the range estimate isn't 100%. It's about 3500 to Alaska. They can't quite get there, but they're getting closer.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barliman

I can't answer that. I just know previous I think 4 test were claimed to be successful but were not really. Also they had a lot of this info beforehand. Some experts saying a real success rate of like 25% at best. I am not a expert just data I remember.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I am basing this off one of the most recent test I have heard of. I am not the best for overall knowledge. Just from what I am seeing it's harder than they tell us. With the price tag alone they would pad their numbers a little is more my angle I would say.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: dianajune

The missile they tested had an estimated range of about 2400 nm IIRC. They flew it almost straight up, not on a normal trajectory, so the range estimate isn't 100%. It's about 3500 to Alaska. They can't quite get there, but they're getting closer.

Ok. Thank you for clarifying this! I can't remember where I read about the range, but it was claimed that NK could reach Alaska and Hawaii. It would make sense to nip this in the bud before they can do so.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join