It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Rowe to College Grads: ‘Don’t Follow Your Passion’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Mike Rowe's quickly becoming a hero of mine. The man's the king of common sense and blue collar decency.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: seasonal

Then what's the problem??? College isn't for everyone, but neither is trade work. Construction isn't for everyone, but neither is boxing, teaching, fishing (professional fishing), graphic design, etc. Every single profession on the planet has some people that love what they do; as in, every single profession on the planet has some people are fulfilling their dreams by following that career path.

I just don't see the logic in encouraging graduates to not follow their passions. I think one reason so many agencies and organizations suck is simply because some of their workers don't like their jobs. What good is a veterinarian that hates animals but is only doing it to pay the bills? It would make much more sense for someone who loves being around animals to be steered towards being a veterinarian. And wouldn't it be better for someone who likes working with kids to work at a daycare center than to have someone who hates kids do it?

All of your posts, my friend, are the best advice I've seen on this thread. Seriously, dude, you got your ducks in a row here.

My biological father, who I just met, works as an HR manager, got his masters in public administration. He basically told me everything you just said. In his line of work, he does a lot of career counseling, and is constantly talking to people miserable in their lives and jobs, who perform poorly, get laid off, ect. These same people are shocked to learn that there are tons of jobs, and career fields out there that not only pay well, but involve their "passion".

He was helping a homeless woman at a previous job once. Her passion was to work in healthcare, to become a technician or nurse. She only had experience waitress and food service. So he suggested hospitals have a number of support positions, like food service, laundry, cleaning. Her passion, ultimately, was to work with the sick. She took his advice. Got a job in hospital laundry, and she loved it. She got to be around doctors and nurses and learn more about their job. She got to hang out with and cheer up and chat with sick people, and the job also gave her time to study for her schooling, as her ultimate goal was to be an LPN. And eventually, she became one. And she loved her job, even doing laundry. It paid decent, gave her and her daughter health insurance, and her foot in the door to her dreams.

She never gave up on her dreams. Like you said, she learned to monetize them. She learned to think outside the box, and to see her dreams through a broader lens. My half brother, like you, is a musician, and he said the same thing. His passion is music. Right now, he plays in a band. But he told me there are so many support positions, from roadies, producers, engineers, legal and technical, ect, that no matter what life throws at him, he can always make a living in the music industry.

The job market of today is not our parent's job market. Everything is getting more efficient and streamlined. Today, no matter what your passion, there is a job out there that pays you to do that or something pretty damned close. It might even help you get your foot in the door for bigger things.

All you need to be today is flexible. And think outside the box. Those who can't will remain miserable and suffer.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join