It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

nintendo 2ds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
would that be the best all around handheld system for a 5 year old?

my daughter had a 3ds xl and of course it broke. she did have it for a good while though. she has been playing games on an old android phone we gave to her since the 3ds broke but its more of a pain in the ass really. the free games have ads and i dont want to put my payment info in cause she winds up in the app store quite a bit and i dont want to accrue charges.

i really know # about games but she seems to be more and more into it.

i figured the 2ds would be the way to go because it plays all the games the ds and 3ds does. the 3ds was a fold over and that wound up being the problem. she never used the 3d function so i figured the 2ds would be great.

gamestop has a new one with mario kart 7 for 80 bucks. she played mario kart a lot on the 3ds. she also liked smash brothers and kirby.

it does not have to be the 2ds but the only other ones i can think of are the psp and the ps vita. are they even still making games for those?

i thought about the wii u but 2 things that turned me off was the cost and i really dont want the main tv tied up with video games.

then again i could put a system in her room.....

basically i have no idea which route i want to go.

if you have or had a 5 year old that was into games which way would you go?

im not opposed to forking over some cash if its going to be a good system that we can find a good amount of games for.
obviously i dont want any of that first person shooter crap.
games like mario
crash bandicoot
sonic
megaman
rayman
kirby
racing games
maybe some donkey kong action
that style of play

any help is much appreciated

i really just want a decent selection of games that a kid would enjoy. not loyal to any type of system

hell i see game cube bundles on craigslist for 100 bucks with a lot of games that i am tempted...
dont care about resale value or trade value or any of that

a decent selection of games is the most important thing

thank you

also it does not have to be the best graphics with the most cutting edge features....

thanks
edit on 26-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I would go with the Nintendo Switch. It is a hand held along with being a system that can be hooked up to your TV. Plus it has the games you are basically looking for. It is however 300 dollars. Good luck.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Honestly at that age I would get them some books, the electronic babysitter is rotting our children.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

I would go with the Nintendo Switch. It is a hand held along with being a system that can be hooked up to your TV. Plus it has the games you are basically looking for. It is however 300 dollars. Good luck.

i just checked it out. definitely not off the table but what i am concerned with is the price of the games.
she is in the early stages of the whole video game adventure.....i think that might be a bit much.

whats your thoughts on the vita or psp?

that game arms for the switch looks pretty cool.
60 bucks a game though.....pretty steep

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Honestly at that age I would get them some books, the electronic babysitter is rotting our children.

I knew someone was going to go down this road. At the risk of being confrontational..... and with the understanding that I have no idea who the OP is or how he/she raises their kid.....

Why does the introduction of video games automatically equate to an electronic babysitter (which, by the way, I do agree can be harmful if electronics are filling that role).

Anyway, my son is 5 years old. He reads books (well, he's learning to read). He colors with paints and crayons. He builds with blocks and legos. He creates adventures with his Buzz Lightyear and Woody toys. He plays soccer on the weekends (and we're looking into little league baseball and karate as well). He goes swimming in the summer and plays in snow in the winter. He loves playing with our cats (the friendly ones, anyway). His teachers have always loved him and he's always eager to learn.

Guess what else he does....? Dun-dun-duuuuuun.... He plays video games. As far as I'm concerned, there is exactly NOTHING wrong with that. Or to be a bit more specific, I find nothing wrong with the way WE do it. He doesn't plop in front of the TV and zone out, unattended or unaccompanied for hours at a time. I would say at least 90% of the time I'm there playing with him. On top of that, not every video game is mindless killing things.

Take the Lego games, for example. While there is cartoonish "fighting," the bulk of the game is essentially problem solving. I see. I have to bring this thing over there in order to build this other thing to put that fire out to cross the bridge.

Since it's release on March 3rd, almost every single day my son and I have been playing the latest Legend of Zelda title (Breath of the Wild). Now, except for the some rainy weekends we play for far less than an hour... but we do play almost every day. The bulk of this game too is problem solving and puzzle solving in it's purest sense.

Nobody seems to complain if a child plays on a computer while logged into something like ABC Mouse (which we are subscribers to and are happy with). I would stop short of saying that many, if not most, of the video games we play could be considered educational.... but I won't stop short of saying that because, quite frankly, they are.

I want you to know that, if we were talking rather than typing, you would hear in my tone of voice that I'm not trying to be confrontational or antagonistic. I've just heard the blanket insults at parents that have video games around their young children. I'm not necessarily lumping you into that category.

Be well.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

For what it's worth, our plan is to give him a 2DS-XL for his birthday later this year when he turns 6 and so far, he said he will be asking Santa for a Switch this Christmas.

I've heard and read that the 3D part of the 3DS isn't good for young kids' eyes and although I guess that is out for debate, I've tried the 3DS in the store once and it gave me a mild headache.

I think that although there are kid friendly games across all platforms, Nintendo's niche is really based primarily on the family friendly games.

I'm sure no matter what you get your kid, it's going to be appreciated.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and then how it works out.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

I think the Switch, as a portable, may not be the best for such a young kid. Something tells me that screen is going to be dropped quite a bit. Just my two cents.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

thanks for the post.
dude is just trying to be #ty to me i think.....ive got a few personal digs from him so thats what i suspect is going on.

my daughter has a # load of books. we started collecting them for her before she was born....
my wife and i are avid readers so that was important to us....

the 3d part was pretty useless imo.

im leaning towards the 2ds because it is not a folding type so i think it is a bit more sturdy and she already has games that i know she likes to play.

i think 80 bucks for a new system and a game is a pretty good deal.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
My 10 yr old is 'allowed' to play my Wii and a two games (Minecraft & Disney Infinity) on our PS3. As for handhelds, she is still restricted to the 'children's tablet', though I will graduate her to my Nintendo DS soon. I did not know that it played the 3DS games, but the big pro is that it plays the Gameboy Advance games on it (and there were some better ones on it than the DS).

top topics

join