It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI illegally shared spy data on Americans with private parties

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
According to some interpretations of a recently declassified document, the FBI apparently was a little loose with names of Americans caught-up in U.S. "surveillance".

Unauthorized 3rd parties and contractors were some of the recipients that are outlined in the article.

Very dangerous some people might say.

Possible (probable) political advantages too !!

The documents are from the FISA Court !!

Usually very Hush-Hush.

Declassified memos show FBI illegally shared spy data on Americans with private parties

The FBI has illegally shared raw intelligence about Americans with unauthorized third parties and violated other constitutional privacy protections, according to newly declassified government documents that undercut the bureau’s public assurances about how carefully it handles warrantless spy data to avoid abuses or leaks.

For instance, a ruling declassified this month by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA) chronicles nearly 10 pages listing hundreds of violations of the FBI’s privacy-protecting minimization rules that occurred on Comey’s watch.

The behavior the FBI admitted to a FISA judge just last month ranged from illegally sharing raw intelligence with unauthorized third parties to accessing intercepted attorney-client privileged communications without proper oversight the bureau promised was in place years ago.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Uh, screw that, with respect.

If you want to talk about violations of Constitutional law, it all starts and ends with NSA activity, and the operation of mass surveillance. The very COLLECTION of the data in the first place, is a Constitutional violation, so if you want to converse about how data gets shared, I would personally set your priorities more accurately. Start at the root. The root is the collection of all data everywhere. Any crime committed after that is secondary and less serious, because the largest violation is the surveillance itself and the lack of probable cause involved to justify it.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I know the answer is "never".... but....

When will Americans, as a whole, say "Enough!!!" to being sold out?

There is seemingly nothing that the government does to us that we collectively take a stand against.

Now, to be fair, I personally don't know what to do about it.

Am I to go out and protest? Where? Against who exactly?

Am I to vote a certain way? What good does that do since we essentially have a one party system?

My life and my wife's life are set. We are fine. However, I'm absolutely horrified when I think about what this world will look like when our son becomes an adult.

(I'm a bit cranky this morning).

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Of course they did. Is this even a question.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This happened under Comey's rein of the FBI and this was released last month. Did this actually have something to do with Why Comey was fired? Evidently the Justice department knew about it before then and I suppose the president would have been aware of this around that time too.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Its easier to go after what is proven, and can't be wrapped into the "its for national security" blanket.

In principle you are right. In reality...we can't stand on principle alone.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Shut. It. Down.

Nsa, fbi, cia.
There's no doubt left that they're all corrupt as #, I can't come up with any reason not to close all of them, and put every single person in management in prison.

Re-staff if you must, but I say we're better off without.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Uh, screw that, with respect.

If you want to talk about violations of Constitutional law, it all starts and ends with NSA activity, and the operation of mass surveillance. The very COLLECTION of the data in the first place, is a Constitutional violation, so if you want to converse about how data gets shared, I would personally set your priorities more accurately. Start at the root. The root is the collection of all data everywhere. Any crime committed after that is secondary and less serious, because the largest violation is the surveillance itself and the lack of probable cause involved to justify it.

I don't like mass surveillance.

I also don't like terrorist cells being able to operate with impunity in my home country.

Decisions, decisions...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Liberty has a cost.

Pay up.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If you cannot stand on principle alone, then you should not stand at all.

There is nothing wrong with sitting down instead.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is why people that don't work for the US govt. don't like govt . employees. Basically they sell their soul for a paycheck and that my friend is the truth.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The documents are from the FISA Court !!

Wait just a minute!

Actual documents?
How am I supposed to believe this if there are no anonymous government officials bringing this info to us?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Not surprising honestly.

Yes, the government is sharing their information (the stuff they gather on you, the citizen) with corporations, even your government data is up for grabs and that's from a personal, hilarious situation, not an opinion.
edit on 26-5-2017 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

but, but, don't you want the gov't to protect you from those evil islamic terrorists??

maybe I am wrong but all this crap started with bush and his patriot act...
back then the conservatives most favorite answer was....
"But, if you have nothing to hide, why do you care!!"

but, oh ya, I forgot, obama is the conservatives official whipping boy, isn't he???

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Liberty has a cost.

Pay up.

So I shouldn't care for the security of myself or my family, under the vague notion of some non-existent "liberty".

Good to know!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Not surprising honestly.

Yes, the government is sharing their information (the stuff they gather on you, the citizen) with corporations, even your government data is up for grabs and that's from a personal, hilarious situation, not an opinion.

Taht my friend is selling the "truth" to who wants t o listen to is. Which is rare these days.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: cenpuppie

You have this backwards. It's the corporations that share their collected data with the alphabet boys at NSA, CIA, FBIA, DIA, etc. Take your pick on the acronym. They all do it. This is the reason companies like Google, Verizon, AOL, ATT, Yahoo, Microsuck, and any other Internet/communications company has "lack of privacy" policies.

The problem with NSA bulk data collection is that they collect too much information for it to actually be useful intelligence until they use it in a retroactive fashion. Monitoring everyone means that actionable intelligence just gets washed away in the massive sea of data that grows exponentially every 24 hours. Which is why up to this very day the alphabet boys have foiled precisely zero terrorist plots by collecting all of our data. The few plots that have been interrupted were done so because of actionable HUMINT (human intelligence) combined with targeted SIGINT (signals intelligence). The old fashioned way.

GCHQ and the NSA have a joint effort and share multiple facilities. You'd think with all that data being gathered they could stop something like a bombing at a pop concert in Manchester or maybe a bombing at the Boston marathon, eh?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Its going to be a longgggggg summer.
Especially when the hunter becomes the hunted.

Buck

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Also, this isn't really a new thing. People on this very sight have been trying to tell each other about the 1984ish Orwellian state of surveillance the West lives in. It's even worse in Russia and China. Snowden confirmed public suspicions back in 2013 but for any one who served time in the services this wasn't really much of a shocker. A gross invasion of personal privacy and a breach of the Constitution at it's very foundation? yes. But a shock, no.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
All U.S. Government = bad.

Except for its leader.

Amazing isn't it????

top topics

<<   2 >>

join