It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greg Gianforte's assault on a Reporter on Election Day!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Nice one republicans. You guys really seem to be bringing out your best recently.

Washington (CNN)Greg Gianforte's choke-slam of reporter Ben Jacobs on Wednesday night -- and the ensuing assault charge -- might not cost him a victory in today's Montana special election.

But even if Gianforte wins, Republicans will face a major decision on whether or not to seat him. What's beyond debate is that, according to Jacobs and multiple eyewitnesses, Gianforte grabbed the reporter by the throat and threw him to the ground -- screaming "sick and tired of you guys ... get the hell out of here."

While Gianforte's campaign put out a statement -- ludicrous on its face -- blaming Jacobs for his "aggressive" reporting tactics, the Gallatin County Sheriff's Office decided that the evidence was clear, charging the Montana Republican nominee with misdemeanor assault.

Link

Here's the audio of what went down for those interested.

Is this what we should expect from Republicans now??? Violence against reporters who are just doing their job???

For the party of Personal Responsibility and Accountability they sure seem to hostile toward allowing anyone to report on what they're doing.

This happened on the day of the election. Pretty sad IMO.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yeah, he probably shouldn't have done a take down. But at least he isn't using bike locks from nowhere to the heads of Innocents like some o' them progressives like that Berkeley Professor, eh?
edit on 25-5-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Other than to just try and deflect from the actual topic.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I don't see what one has to do with the other. Other than to just try and deflect from the actual topic.
You mean other than you casting a wide net of accusations on repubs? (Of which I'm not, btw)

You probably don't see the irony in your above reply. You just went right over your own head. I don't believe I've seen it done quite like that before. Priceless.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I agree, but something that isn't being discussed to much:
"Where's the rest of the recording?"

It seems like the Guardian Reporter, only released the part with the attack, but not the part before the attack. Was this an attempt to frame an unfavorable image of the candidate, was it just sensational journalism, or was this exactly what is being reported? The whole issue seems a little off to me, but I'm not sure why.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

I agree, but something that isn't being discussed to much:
"Where's the rest of the recording?"

It seems like the Guardian Reporter, only released the part with the attack, but not the part before the attack. Was this an attempt to frame an unfavorable image of the candidate, was it just sensational journalism, or was this exactly what is being reported? The whole issue seems a little off to me, but I'm not sure why.

But we have an eyewitness account by a Fox News journalist—who was there and witnessed the entire thing—that says Jacobs was not physically violent, and was attacked essentially without provocation and for asking a question (which contradicts the Gianforte statement/account of the incident); hence, the assault charge.

ETA:

To be clear, at no point did any of us who witnessed this assault see Jacobs show any form of physical aggression toward Gianforte,

Fox Link
edit on 25-5-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I also watched an interview with a "Buzzfeed News" reporter that mirrored what the Fox reporter said, but the interviewed reporter didn't seem like she was sure of what happened. Like I said there's something about this that just seems off.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

What wide net???

Republicans in general have been pushing the FAKE NEWS, anti-media narrative.

Here's a Republican slamming one to the ground for doing their job.

I remember a while back there was another Republican senator I think who threatened another journalist for asking questions and he got in trouble too.

Then there were all the Republicans who simply ignored answering questions to reporters after voting the Repeal of Healthcare.

Then there are the Republican Members who are avoiding town halls as well.

Starting to see a pattern yet???

The reason I said you were deflecting is because that is what you were doing. Comparing a professor at Berkley and the members of our Elected Government which also has full control of all branches makes no sense. It's also not the topic.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I'd like to add that this is just another incident we're seeing that is becoming increasingly more common.

Here we have a journalist assaulted for asking a question. The account from the perpetrator is completely different (a lie) from what others witnessed, which shows the attempt to lie and justify the assault and trying to spin the narrative to make the journalist the bad guy.

In another instance, if anyone recalls, journalist Dan Heyman was arrested for his persistence in questioning Price in the WV State capitol, which was also an attempt to spin the narrative that he was "breaking through SS security detail" in order to make the journalist the bad guy for using too loud of a voice in questioning.

Both of these men had something happen to them (one assaulted, on arrested) simply for doing what journalists do and have done for a long time: their jobs in questioning and holding public officials accountable. Persist, ask questions, and not relent.

These days, since the "media is the enemy," we are seeing an outright assault on them and and on journalists. This is both unprecedented and uncalled for, and frankly quite dangerous.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Well I'm going to applaud Greg. Listening to that guardian guy's voice I picture many of the type of people I have come to loathe. Why our governments want everybody to be like that I have no idea. I wish Greg would have stomped his ass so bad I could have heard his lip quiver and fear in his voice. Whining about his glasses. Little bitch.

No idea about what kind of person Greg is though. Could be a major dick. Nonetheless that passive aggressive crap needs to go. It's making the world a nastier place day by day.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I must admit I find it very interesting as well that just 20 min. after I make this thread here someone decides to make their own about this same story only from the already debunked perspective.

Once again trying to spin what is happening by pushing a false narrative with plenty of supporters jumping in to say how much they agree with that version despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Could that all be just a coincidence?? Or perhaps a conspiracy in itself to simply get others to believe a lie over the truth??

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Acuna is already walking back her euewitness account.

She stated that he grabbed the guy by the neck. This morning? She's not so sure that's what really happened.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nobody is changing anything other than the spin doctors as they try and reverse the truth once again.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Journalism FAIL.

Cover the news not make the news.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Nice one republicans.

Do you see it now?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

And here we go with the false narratives and baseless propaganda spin like always.

You people are sick in the head.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

NO. He's a Republican isn't he????

Deal with it.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Acuna is already walking back her euewitness account.

She stated that he grabbed the guy by the neck. This morning? She's not so sure that's what really happened.

As I said in the other thread:

Grabbing someone by the neck and throwing them to the ground before you beat them, and grabbing someone on both sides of the collar and throwing them down before you beat them, is not all that different in the greater context.

Until next time on, "As the Narrative Spins."

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

False narrative ?

If a reporter is close enough to get thrown down.

That's a personal space violation.

What did they expect was going to happen?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The was charged with assault. There were witnesses who all agreed on what happened.

I don't care what you think about the proximity of anyone or WTF that is supposed to mean as it makes not difference.

You obviously think it's fine to assault a reporter for doing his job and asking questions.

Your a shill towing the line for whatever reason.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join