It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump chastises fellow NATO members, demands they meet payment obligations

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

The Warsaw Pact was established after NATO. In direct response if I recall.

Seeing as it no longer exists anymore I favour simply disbanding NATO altogether.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

It may have started like that, however it seems that it is everyone's war on terror now...

Yes they should carry their weight...Why shouldn't they? As was earlier posted NATO was created to defend against the communist spread following WWII...Which mainly protected European nations...Not the US. Wonder who footed the bill back then too? Probably not the European countries that were in shambles after a war occurred there.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good for him to remind them of their obligations. I guess human nature and wanting a free ride even extends to treaty nations.

During the cold war we had around 1600 bases spread around the world. Many were so small it would be hard to count them as bases for some were just listening post...However today we have around 800 bases and they are not all that small but well equipped for the most part. If you look at a military base map we are everywhere around the world..

I read an article not to long ago that said if NATO/America wants peace then stay home ... which in some cases I do agree.

I keep waiting on the big, huge, infrastructure programs to get started in America and what they will look like when finished. Hate to do and spend on infrastructure just to see stuff blown up with some kind of stupid war or terrorist activity..

edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
a reply to: Kali74

Great allies they are to let us foot their bills...

While we send the bulk of any NATO force anywhere they are active the rest usually send token units and gear to "assist" ...Do we really need them? I say we worry about our own country and its interests and stop playing world police. I bet we could finally cut that military budget I hear everyone complaining about...

We are in the business of war. There are just to many corporations that profit from our entanglements overseas.
They have full time lobbyist pushing for more war in more and more places.

War is now a capitalist corporate free enterprise. Follow the money....

You can even get a mutual fund now that is dedicated to war profits.
edit on 25-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The previous agreement made in 2014 is that NATO nations would pay 2% of their GDP by 2024. It's 2017. Now if Trump wants to make a new deal, he should put it that way as opposed to pissing in our allies faces.

But they aren't even paying the "2%"

Welchers Inc.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

And now, the US is using NATO resources and personnel for our wars so we should be footing most of the bill. However, as I stated before... all other NATO nations are in compliance with current funding. If Trump wants them to start paying more now he should renegotiate the 2% GDP by 2024 current agreement. Instead he stumps and cries it's not fair, it's not fair... like a 5 year old.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:42 PM
link   

They don't have to until 2024.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

And now, the US is using NATO resources and personnel for our wars so we should be footing most of the bill. However, as I stated before... all other NATO nations are in compliance with current funding. If Trump wants them to start paying more now he should renegotiate the 2% GDP by 2024 current agreement. Instead he stumps and cries it's not fair, it's not fair... like a 5 year old.

But they aren't paying the "2%"

They are defaulting.

link   
They didn't look all that er, chastised to me, some were having a titter.

link   
I like the campaign-Trump better. Get us the hell out of NATO and the UNITED NATIONS.

If they want something, give the White House a call, or go knock on the door.

The United States will do just fine. It's how we roll.

link   

It's 2024?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I felt embarassed for you when i saw him do that, he is such a classless fool.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

I was going to post that but the feelings are so raw around here lately...

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

They should be paying more....a lot more.
Most of those European countries still owe the USA and the UK for not having to learn to speak German after WW2.
And the USA, along with the UK, held the USSR at bay during the Cold War.
As far as I am concerned, we had enough of our boys die over there then that the money they owe will never be equal.
edit on 25-5-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
NATO is just taking advantage of the American taxpayer. They use US blood and treasure to accomplish their own goals. NATO is mostly for the protection of Europe, not the US.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

NATO is mostly for the protection of Europe, not the US.

From what?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

NATO is mostly for the protection of Europe, not the US.

From what?

Who else? Russia

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

He said "they" are taking advantage of U.S. Taxpayers

...to take advantage of EU taxpayers...

Ha!

Leaders, eh?
Leading right into what... the next 15 years of failed policies and fricken police states? Sounds great!

Sometime they'll give a war and nobody will come.

C. Sandburg

Guess we all have our dreams, right? In front of a twisted shard... shambles.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

So make a new deal. Don't go whining around the entire world like a little bitch. Aren't deals supposed to be his thing?
edit on 5/25/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Go Trumpy!!

What the Hell is Canada in the "European" NATO For?!!

Mexico is in North America, invaded by Spanish, Why isnt Mexico in there?

How can Canada be involved in European matters, But Australia and New Zealand are not? Countries who both fought in WW1 and WW2, and sacrificing 100s of thousands of young people, for the "Liberty and Freedom" of Europe!!

Time to get rid of the whole farce....Russia is not a threat anymore, I believe they never were.

It was simply a manufactured lie, to keep the military machine rolling, and citizens subdued.

I think Trumpy was actually having a backhanded criticism of Euro leaders for their treatment of the UK and the Brexit....and the Europeans demand of excess Money to leave......Trumpy was putting the shoe on the other Foot....as in, You owe us Americans money!!

Good on him, he's a business man, not a puppet politician...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join