It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump chastises fellow NATO members, demands they meet payment obligations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Trump in Brussels, Belgium today and he apparently gave some NATO countries a piece of his mind.

He has mentioned before that some NATO countries are not paying their fair share of defense costs.

He said "they" are taking advantage of U.S. Taxpayers !!

Ha !

Trump chastises fellow NATO members, demands they meet payment obligations

BRUSSELS — President Trump exported the confrontational, nationalist rhetoric of his campaign across the Atlantic on Thursday, shaming European leaders for not footing more of the bill for their own defenses and lecturing them to stop taking advantage of U.S. taxpayers.

Speaking in front of a twisted shard of the World Trade Center at NATO’s gleaming new headquarters in Brussels, Trump upbraided America’s longtime allies for “not paying what they should be paying.” He used a ceremony to dedicate the memorial to NATO’s resolve in the wake of the 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States as a platform from which to exhort leaders to “focus on terrorism and immigration” to ensure their security.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I guess the question here would be... Is he wrong?
Are they paying their fair share?

Isn't NATO just the military force created to serve the UN?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I can't believe it, but I agreed with something he said on this trip.

Personally I don't like any of my money going to NATO. It's archaic and if anything, creates more enemies than it defends against.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

No, the UN has their own force, they do a great job of committing war crimes (mainly rape) many places they visit.

NATO is an extension of the US IMHO.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
He could always have America leave the alliance.

Leave the Fascists of Eastern Europe and the Neo-liberals of Western Europe who squander their nation's wealth in the interests of their bankster friends to fend for themselves. They'll come begging back I can guarantee it.

Something like this I imagine

edit on -050004pm5kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This is cool...Trump really showed those wimps who's boss.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
His speech was great. It was refreshing to hear someone say what they felt and what we all feel instead of a leader who references himself 67 times in a speech.

Trump is a person and not a career politician. I am just riding out the next 4-5 months when all the bs scandal stuff is behind and we can work on our country again.

Why should we give aid to any foreign country or entity when we have our own citizen homeless and hungry.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It was hard for me to believe when I heard this the other day..but here are numbers;

""Only five of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's 28 member countries last year met the alliance goal of spending at least 2% of their gross domestic product on defense.""

Here's a breakdown of how much of the target contribution was met in 2016 by the 28 nations.
www.businessinsider.com...

The USA contributed 80% more than was required! Those are OUR taxpayer dollars folks!

edit on 5/25/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

It is time that we as a country are respected again and not bowing to those who want our help. Cool vid.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

The previous agreement made in 2014 is that NATO nations would pay 2% of their GDP by 2024. It's 2017. Now if Trump wants to make a new deal, he should put it that way as opposed to pissing in our allies faces.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

He's not wrong.

I am tired of being the world police and funding failed international initiatives (like the U.N.)...its getting really old and if other countries want to be part of this then pay your share.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Why should European nations have had to lose sons and daughters after 9/11 just because we were attacked?

Because that's what allies do.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

After finding-out about the absurd cost of building their new NATO HQ building, I am in favor of Trump telling those European elitist's...YOUR FIRED!!

Let Putin march on leftist utopia's France, Germany, and Canada!!

Poland and Slovenia is all we want!!!!

Rush Limbaugh covered this today and said "NATO is just one of a long line of wealth re-distribution big Governments"
edit on 25-5-2017 by Granite because: sp

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Granite

After finding-out about the absurd cost of building their new NATO HQ building, I am in favor of Trump telling those European elitist's...YOUR FIRED!!

You guys have lost your freaking minds!
edit on 5/25/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I guess the question here would be... Is he wrong?
Are they paying their fair share?

Isn't NATO just the military force created to serve the UN?

No many of them are not paying there fair share, NATO the North Atlantic Treaty Organization was not however set up for the UN but as a mutual defence alliance against the then growing power and threat of the Warsaw Pact and was a natural outgrowth of the Wartime western allies of the second world war were instead of Germany Russia was then seen as the threat since it was occupying much of eastern Europe having seized the territory during and after the war and having put puppet communist government's in power in those nation's - under a tight leash of course.

There is an argument that We really did not win the war in Britain or indeed the French as we entered the war to free Poland but the war ended with Poland under Soviet occupation, in fact at the start of the war Soviet Russia had been Germany's Ally in there invasion of Poland and both Germany and Russia invaded Poland together, it was a little while later that Hitler launched his operation Barbarossa against Russia, a Gamble on his part that eventually backfired very badly indeed.

Nato had to find a purpose to continue to exist so quite often it would serve the UN but in fact there is no specific UN armed force though many state's do use the Blue UN emblem when acting in UN backed peacekeeping mission's.

And many nation's are members of the UN peacekeeping force BUT it is there decision to participate in peacekeeping or humanitarian action's or not and they are not under obligation as far as I know though as to that I may be wrong.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

originally posted by: Granite

You guys have lost your freaking minds!

YOUR FIRED too!!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Great allies they are to let us foot their bills...

While we send the bulk of any NATO force anywhere they are active the rest usually send token units and gear to "assist" ...Do we really need them? I say we worry about our own country and its interests and stop playing world police. I bet we could finally cut that military budget I hear everyone complaining about...

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

The previous agreement made in 2014 is that NATO nations would pay 2% of their GDP by 2024. It's 2017. Now if Trump wants to make a new deal, he should put it that way as opposed to pissing in our allies faces.

Phuking allies.. WHO NEEDS THEM?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

It's the United States War on Terror, remember? Is there some reason they should be footing more of the bill at this time?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

AKA .... agreements from the "Welch" Summit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join