It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matthews: White House Staged Slain Marine Mom's Hug

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
For the sake of argument, let's find ONE thing that was NOT staged by democrats whether in or out of office, EVEN now.

The thing could be staged from here to high noon, the fact is, the emotion was real, it was most obviously NOT fake, and the American public got it. That's why the Media left complained about it.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I believe some of you have multiple personality disorder.

On the one hand you will say that our poor kids are getting sent out to Iraq, and you will embrace the parents who say it's terrible that their kids got killed, and you will scream that Bush is a murderer.

As soon as something like this happens, some of you accuse the woman, who did in fact lose her son in Iraq so don't even attempt to question that, please , of not being genuine. "She's crying for the cameras", "She's trying to make Bush look good".

Yet another example (the list is getting longer and longer) of you folks going against your own ideals and beliefs simply because it allows you the opportunity to bash a politician. How interesting it must be to look at things from your perspectives.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums

On the one hand you will say that our poor kids are getting sent out to Iraq, and you will embrace the parents who say it's terrible that their kids got killed, and you will scream that Bush is a murderer.

As soon as something like this happens, some of you accuse the woman, who did in fact lose her son in Iraq so don't even attempt to question that, please , of not being genuine. "She's crying for the cameras", "She's trying to make Bush look good".

Nope you have it wrong sweetie. No one is saying that she didn't feel that...we are saying Bush orchestrated it, put things in place, knowing it would happen....staged...and I think we are right...he used those people and their very real emotions to do exactly what they did for his own benefit!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Nothing but the continued spouting of Matthews (anti-war, anti-Bush, anti-FoxNews, etc.) CNN political rhetoric amounting to nothing substantial, nothing. His comments have served the same purpose as those comments made by the Marine general and then the media blowing it out of proportion.

"Staged"?
Why, because they got an invite?
So what if it was "staged"!
For crying out loud people, thats the wonderful world of Politics.
No politician thrives without it, Democrat or Republican, it fundementally makes no difference.
And yet, seems that many here like to point out this and that, as Djarums has mentioned, and find that their own comments, past and present, are found wanting and in contradiction. Again, as pointed out.

seekerof

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

"Staged"?
Why, because they got an invite?
So what if it was "staged"!

I'm sorry but I find using people emotional pain for gain just degusting...and this is not a political issue with me, I'm not overly political. I understand that politics is a career....using anyone's emotional distress and pain for career advancement or opportunity, to me, is just not right! That's the way I feel, that's the way I see it!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Why did a mother of a marine who died in Iraq, and a leader of the new politcal movement able to sit near eachother, in the front row of the gallery?

Marine Corps Sgt. Byron Norwood of Pflugerville, Texas was killed during the "Bring them on" assualt on falluja. The falluja operation was planned as a show of force after the US election. The basic orders for the operation was to contain the area, and sweep from one end to the other killing any insurgent that got int the way. nothing that was done there brought more or less freedom to the iraqi people, in fact they probly got more freedom then they wanted when they cam back and found a city, and thier homes in ruins

He said to his mom before he went to be sent to a needless death "You've done your job, mom. Now it's my turn to protect you.'"

What brings me to tears is that he was sent to his death, to support and bolster Bush's political agenda in short, he was used.

As a soldier you are trained to follow orders without question, but also it is understood that those orders are not frivolous, and that even if you are ordered to die, you death will mean something. To betray that trust is horrid and disgusting

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
LadyV, I do believe that answer applies to yourself and a few others, but not to all. There are those here who actually have, on a few occasions in recent memory clearly displayed disregard for their own ideals in favor of trashing someone.

Additionally, I have to question one other thing. Are some of you so young that this is your first State of the Union Address? It has been a common practice for a very long time to strategically bring guests to the Address and point them out during the speech. It does make for good emphasis to a point, and it is by no means anything new.

The frequency of which some people point out decades old practices and seem to believe they were invented by Bush leads me to ask if some of you have been living in isolation until November of 2000.

Disregarding previous history to make things fit your agenda is ignorant isn't it? And we do have that little motto here.

By the way, remember how one side of the aisle started booing at the mention of social security. Remember how it was more than one person who know precisely at which point (before Bush even mentioned what he wanted to do/change) to boo? If you don't think that was planned previously I have a bridge to sell you.

This is a TV show ladies and gentlemen. Being naive is understandable, being selectively naive is annoying.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Additionally, I have to question one other thing. Are some of you so young that this is your first State of the Union Address?

I am certainly not....I was 50 last October....yes, 50. I can prove it with a drivers license, so please do not u2u!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

am certainly not....I was 50 last October....yes, 50. I can prove it with a drivers license, so please do not u2u!

Then having watched more of those addresses than I have you can surely agree with me that more than one President, from more than one party, has similarly engaged in the tactic of using people (who somehow reflect a current event) to underscore and emphasize points and gain good support.

I'm sorry but turning this incident into another "Bush is a manipulative bastard" thread is the wrong thing to do.

That is politics. The Address is supposed to be good marketing. So were Roosevelt's chats that some of you have heard of. This goes back a long time.

Were they set together on purpose? Probably. But I think that anyone claiming that they were told "Ok, cry lots, and hug and stuff" is insulting.

Politicans are what they are. If you don't like it, I suggest going somewhere that doesn't have politicians (any ideas?). Because the bottom line is, every country in the world has leaders who employ the same thing. Not just George Bush because you don't like him.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't give a damn who is president...it's not right and that's the way I feel! I do not vote for a "party" to begin with, nor do I vote due to religious views, I feel that's an unintelligent way to vote. I vote for whomever I feel will do the best job...and I would be saying this the same way if "I had seen it" and it was Kerry there or anyone else! So don't go pushing this off as a Bush hating thing to "me", while I most certainly do not care for dubya....the feelings I have would be the same regardless of held office and did this! Just so ya know!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
He said to his mom before he went to be sent to a needless death "You've done your job, mom. Now it's my turn to protect you.'"

You know, I was so repulsed by what I was seeing that I totally forgot that Bush said that. That was EPIC!!! Yeah, like his mom was worried about the local Dairy Queen getting blown up!

That was exploitation in it's most vile form.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

while I most certainly do not care for dubya....the feelings I have would be the same regardless of held office and did this!

Which, in my belief is good to hear, since at least you, like myself, have beliefs that you stick to regardless of who is making the speech.

And so it should be apparent that most of the comments I made were absolutely not directed at you specifically, in fact I'm sure you know who they were directed at because it's not the first time I've criticized a certain few members for what I'd consider political prostitution.

As hard as it is for you or I to understand, there are those who would react differently to a person's actions based on who they are. I believe I have shown over two plus years that I am not shy about criticizing and voicing my opinion about anyone in any conflict on an even basis. I know you've seen that, and it boggles my mind how people can act any other way. I honestly don't think you can argue that there are some people who go out of their way here to demonize Bush for anything possible often sacrificing their own beliefs.

I think they're good people who have let their dislike for that man go to their heads and I think it interferes with their clear judgement of things. But seriously, LadyV, you know quite well I wasn't referring to you in particular in any of these posts here, those folks know who they are.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow djohnsto77 you are sooo blind!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Wow djohnsto77 you are sooo blind!

Let me elaborate on that. I believe Djohnsto77 is a well meaning, good hearted, patriotic American, walking around with blinders the size of Shaquille O' Neal on.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The hugging was not scripted or planned.

The people that brought them in aren't idiots tho, they rationally expected that there'd be some sort of 'tender, emotive scene' between them.
I mean, I'm not saying that the whole thing was ''fake", but one can't make too much out of the situation, it is something of a 'prop'.

Its like the Yellow Ribbons. When people went out on their own bought yellow ribbon and actually tied them to their trees and porches that was something. Then it became magnetized mass produced sticker shapes with slogans that people are practically obliged to purchase and slap on their cars (man, the very things that consume the strategic resource that makes the middle east geostrategically important). It became, for me anyway, meaningless. And now it ends up that those things don't actually pay money to support the troops.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Anyone that is stupid enough to think that can safely be ignored.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Every second of that hour+ Speach was gone over with the finest of fine toothed combs. Nothing was unexpected or unintended. It's marketing at it's best, hell it worked on me.

EDIT: So what!! if you have a rational mind then you will see through it.

Quit your complaining.

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Halfofone]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by djohnsto77
It was not staged. The people involved have been making the news circuits denouncing Matthews for these statements.

How do you know this for fact!? It's one person's word against another.

Chris Matthews wasn't there and he's only a third person guessing
and putting his bias into the news. He has no proof. However, the
two women involved were there. They were the ones actually doing
the hugging. They both say it was spontanious. As much as I really
like Hardball and Chris Matthew, he stepped in it this time. He has
no proof, and the two women involved say it was an emotional
moment and it 'just happened'. I'm sure the White House liked
it. I know the dems hated it. They all 'groaned', at least that's
what the TV news is saying.

I'll take the word people who were actually involved, over the
word of a talk show host.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'm sure the White House was thrilled this happened and maybe even was hoping something like this would happen, but they didn't instruct the women to do this. If they had it would have come off as phony. As I watch the repeats on the news, it becomes more and more clear that it was a spontaneous action which is exactly what the participants say.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Wanna' have some fun? Go to a book store and pick
up a copy of 'Psychology for Dummies" (no, I'm not
calling you a dummy). I think it's rather well written
and folks who haven't had any psychology training
will get a kick out of seeing symptoms of different
disorders and syndromes in people here - and elsewhere.

I have dusted off my old psychology books a few times
while discussing things with people in chat forums.
It would be irresponsible of me to give a diagnosis of
people over the internet like this, but it sure is fun
re-reading their symptoms matched up against sound
science and psychology.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join