It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking down ideological battle lines; Political thought bubbles, echo chambers and team sports

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is what bothers me the most; social and political ideological thought bubbles and echo chambers. We are all guilty of this myself included. I do however try to be aware of this and break it down. This is what has been driving me crazy about the last election cycle, it is on a scale from both right left and center that I have never personally witnessed before.

whyy radio

In these increasingly polarized times, it can be difficult to find common ground and even engage civilly with people who hold different beliefs or political views. Today, we’ll talk about the best ways to mitigate the pitfalls that occur when sharing your opinions with friends, families, or coworkers, and ways to breakdown the political divide.

I thought this podcast was BEAUTIFULLY done. I for one know that I seek out and engage with opposing ideologies and although I am somewhat stubborn I can be convinced to change my position, but with great resistance. Essentially if you can change my mind you have earned my respect as an excellent artist on the canvas of debate.

CNN (I know)

However, a new study claims just the opposite: Social media actually isolates us, creating and facilitating confirmation biases and echo chambers where old -- and sometimes erroneous -- information is just regurgitated over and over again.

Apparently myself and the radio show host are not alone in this line of thinking. Confirmation bias is a very real experience and as our physical social mediums continue to breakdown and as more people turn to social media to experience that feeling of being connected to a community they are in fact in inadvertently creating echo chambers the affirm their confirmation bias and solidify their ideas, unchallenged.

So instead of sharing to challenge or inform, social media users are more likely to share an idea already commonly accepted in their social groups for the purpose of reinforcement or agreement. This means misinformation -- which is a much more appropriate term for "fake news" -- can rattle around unchecked.

One of the biggest problems of this is how others begin to react towards those who challenge or disagree with us.

Faux News (I Know)

Berkeley protests: Hundreds rally after Coulter talk canceled, at least 6 arrested

We all remember the events at Berkeley... Based Stickman, Anti-fa.... the willingness to either verbally or physically assault those who are merely presenting a different point of view. I believe the echo chambers are a major reason for this. In my opinion this is due to the fact that those that do not agree are seen as the enemy and are challenging those with other points of view personally rather than ideologically because of the confirmation bias create by social media bubbles and bubbles in our personal lives.

Group Identity

Group identity refers to a person’s sense of belonging to a particular group. At its core, the concept describes social influence within a group. This influence may be based on some social category or on interpersonal interaction among group members. On one hand, if we consider the case of athletic teams, a student at a university that participates in popular forms of competition such as football or basketball may identity with his or her team during contests with rival schools (“We really rocked in the Banana Bowl Classic. We took on all comers and whipped them!”). Classic rivalries such as Michigan versus Ohio State in football or Duke versus North Carolina in basketball are excellent examples of instances that produce strong identification based on a social category.

Otherwise known as tribalism, group identity has no become a team sport where the other team is seen as the enemy and must be defeat at all cost regardless of what they think. They are the enemy!

I challenge everyone here to step out of their ideological bubbles and try to understand opposing points of view better. I also challenge everyone to stop personally attacking those who disagree with you and ADMIT FAULT where fault exist.

Let's evolve and challenge each other without the vitriol on the boards and at home.

(before anyone says anything I covered the topics in on the show I still highly recommend listening)

edit on 25-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Perhaps those in the know realize that people once they are polarized are much easier to control because they have some knowledge of the law of polarity and are using it to their advantage.

"Everything is dual; everything has poles; everything has its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same; opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled." — The Kybalion.

edit on 25-5-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I totally agree with you, our tribal nature is known to the enemy (who or whatever it is) and is used and abused to keep use divided and controllable.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I feel like we're being forced in to picking a side whether we want to or not.
The centre ground folk are dwindling and as the old trench warfare teaches us, no-mans land is a very dangerous place to be.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

We are choosing to pick a side. We can't be forced, we can only be persuaded.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Not with all this labelling getting thrown around at the moment.
Anyone who doesn't agree with something coming from either side automatically gets tarred as opposition.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Yup. It actually inhibits progress on any level. Kinda going back to the stone age here.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

What was it that George Bush once said?

Something like "you're either with us or you're with the terrorists".

Not much choice there is there.
Its a tactic that seems to work pretty well and I'm seeing it more often these days.
I try and keep a balanced view but that means I'm pretty quiet in real life. Some people can't seem to accept that you might see the world differently.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

These days people can't even handle it. They start freaking out and name calling.

Very odd.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

WHYY is a fantastic station - out of Philadelphia, isn't it?
An NPR affiliate, I believe.

Your thread is a good one. F/S

I've been paying more attention to 'slant' than I was even a year ago. There is an enormous difference between, say, InfoWars and Huffington Post; or WSJ and Washington Post. I tend to prefer the outlets that have more articulate, in depth reporting over those that have **OMG SHOCKING!** headlines.

I think having an advanced education leads one to prefer meatier, more thorough and substantiated (footnoted, it used to be called - now it's called "linked sources"), detailed information. And "Further Reading" sections (such as external links at the bottom of Wikipedia pages). When I was young, we had to actually go to the physical brick and mortar library and check out books and use those to reference for term papers and so forth.

I think it's sad that no one except we old timers know the Dewey Decimal System now. I miss the musty stacks of the giant library on campus...
edit on 2552017 by Catalina22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I wonder why we have such strife today? Maybe by removing our powers of association, strife and conflict were created on purpose.

Why would someone deliberately try and divide the populace?

With forced integration, is harmony even possible?

History probably has some clues in there somewhere.

So would the best course of action be to just sit back and watch it all happen without lifting a finger or questioning what is happening?

Why is it so terrible to surround yourself with like minded individuals, even if it is in the digital world?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Why would someone deliberately try and divide the populace?

Because if you can get them at each other's throats, they don't spend time looking at the larger issues. It's never-ending escalation. Then when they are torn utterly asunder you come in and offer a solution.

Psychopaths like to set people up like that.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So now it's all nice nice after you trashed the people you don't agree with. WTF....Marxists? That's not namecalling?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 25-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Catalina22

Hegalian dilectic

problem reaction solution

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Catalina22

Just discovered it today will be listening a lot more now. Very surprised it wasn't slanted NPR does have a tendency to favor leftist ideology.

I been listening to Ben Shapiro and No Agenda a lot lately, although Ben is a conservative he does take a more pragmatic approach which I like even though we disagree on some subjects.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Don't want your hard earned money taken from your paycheck to pay for "stuff" for others?
You hate the poor.

Don't want babies being killed in the womb?
You hate women.

Think Obama's policies and presidency was bad for the USA?
You are a racist.

Want to stop the flood of illegals crossing the border with no background or health checks?
You are racist and hate the poor.

That's how Democrats and the media make you choose sides.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I wonder why we have such strife today?

Economically people are worse off than they were 10 years ago and with the internet and social media people have become more aware of lying politicians and what's happening in the world.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

Totally agree.

I brought up the topic of abortion with someone in what I would consider a respectful fashion and immediately this individual went right into name calling, personal attacks and freaking out and we didn't even really get into it. I was part of the patriarchy.

Crazy.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

So what would you advocate? There are core structural differences in the population. Differences on almost every level of thought. I agree that automatically labeling someone to try and shut them down at certain times is a great disservice. But sometimes those labels are very accurate to the point where the individual hasn't changed their tune for over 10 years. They do not have an open mind and they do not try to debate at all.

Could labeling be useful in certain cases?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I do agree with labeling, you have to label. The labels do not have to frame the position though they can just be reference points. I advocate standing on principle and being flexible enough to change your position.

It's very hard I know I am very hard headed. I have to actively work on my ego. Also stop making things personal and try to separate yourself from your ideas.

Easier said than done.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join