It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Afghani Airliner Missing with 104 Onboard

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
During a snow storm Thursday afternoon, an Afghani Airliner carrying 104 passengers went off the radars and has been labeled "missing." A search for the missing jet, lead by the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, has begun today southeast of Kabul. Its last confirmed location was 3.1 miles east of Kabul.

www.cnn.com
Airline President Zimarai Kamgar said the crew of eight consisted of six Russians and two Afghans. Ninety-six passengers were on board. He said seven were foreigners.

An official with Management Sciences for Health of Cambridge, Mass. said three women employed by the company were on the Boeing 737. A man working for a Dutch engineering company was also believed to be on the flight.

The Afghan capital sits on a high plateau and is ringed by tall mountain peaks. Flights are often canceled during the winter due to poor visibility and Kabul's airport does not have advanced radar technology that could help pilots land in bad weather.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although most news sources report this plane as missing, it seems it's only "missing" from the naked eye...Clearly this plane has crashed. The real question is, could the weather truly be to blame, or are there other factors? Very sad....As this story develops, we'll see where the media decides to take its spin...

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
story.news.yahoo.com

[edit on 4-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
emmmm....

wasnt there already an ATS thread to this topic of missing afgani airliner?
why is it missing?
i am very puzzled by this...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Yes, Souljah is right (for once
)there was an ATSNN news report on this that mysteriously disappeared.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Souljah,

The original thread did not follow the guidelines laid out for ATSNN submissions. They have strict guidelines, and I suspect that an editor may have deleted it. There was another one by the same member, with the same problems, and it is gone too.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Duzey, it was elevated to an ATSNN item. Why did that happen if it didn't follow the guidelines?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The search has been suspended. NATO and Afghan forces have called off the search, for now, as it is now late in the evening. Expect the search to resume tomorrow once the sun rises. Also NATO officials are denying that pieces of wreckage of the plane have been found.

www.foxnews.com
KABUL, Afghanistan — NATO and Afghan forces suspended their ground and air search as darkness closed in Friday for an Afghan passenger jet carrying 104 people after it disappeared from radar screens during a snowstorm near the mountain-ringed capital.

NATO and Afghan Officials denied statements from Turkish officials that parts of the wreckage had been located 20 miles southeast of Kabul, and they said the search would resume Saturday.

Surely the plane didn't disappear in the Bermuda triangle. Certainly the plane has crashed, and certainly it will be reported as pilot error with the weather as an extenuating circumstance.
But would the authorities actually tell us if this plane was shot down?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Duzey, it was elevated to an ATSNN item. Why did that happen if it didn't follow the guidelines?

No it wasn't, and Duzey is correct.

Back on topic, please.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I honestly don't know. I was really surprised they were elevated, they should have been sent back for a fix.

The problem was the opening paragraphs. They were opinion and did not contain factual information from the article quoted.

My three guess is that the news was considered breaking and they allowed it, it was very late and somebody made a wee error, or they felt sorry for realorrit because she went into the negative points within a day of joining.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
ok,
this is a real mystery to me now,
anyways,

reuters claim that the wreckage was found near Kabul.

KABUL (Reuters) - The wreckage of an Afghan airliner that went missing with 104 people on board has been found near the capital, Kabul, a day after it was turned away because of heavy snow, a Western security source says.

i started a new thread here with the same topic, because the ATS thread mysteriously dissapeared on me...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
But would the authorities actually tell us if this plane was shot down?

...That's funny....I'm thinking....no!

I wonder if it could have been a repeat of the hijacked Afghani airliner in 2000....

The source of the story which I referenced did note that the Kabul airport is lacking many of the technological advances that assist pilots in landing during poor weather....Common sense wants me to believe that was the cause.....But who knows?!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
ok,
this is a real mystery to me now,
anyways,

reuters claim that the wreckage was found near Kabul.

I've noticed the same inconsistencies in reports....

Some say missing...some say it's crashed....some say they consider the passengers dead...

Looks like the media is running around with its head cut-off on this one...I'm surprised their not rushing towards the possibility of RPG and/or terrorist related causes...

[edit on 2/4/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
i am just waiting for reports from some extreme islamic web page.
saying it was actually shot down by an american interceptor.

and then some american extreme news agency reporting that,
terrorists taken over and bombed it from inside.

just like the hercules that "crashed".

whatever happened to that news?
end of story, huh?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
i am just waiting for reports from some extreme islamic web page.
saying it was actually shot down by an american interceptor.

You know I had thought about that when I first read, and posted the article. What if it was mistakenly shot down by a US missile? Would they still stick with the weather story? Or would they claim a terrorist missile did it? Some benefit to them to justify the continuation of the War On Terror if they claim terrorist did it. But they will probably just want to make it go away, so the weather is my bet.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I heard they´ve found the plane (which had 104 people on board) east of Kabul. No word on the cause of the crash but there was a blizzard in the area.
EDIT: I should read the replies more carefully. Already mentioned...

[edit on 2005/2/4 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

KABUL (Reuters) - The wreckage of an Afghan airliner that went missing with 104 people on board was found Friday near the capital, Kabul, a day after it was turned away because of heavy snow, a Western security source said.

Found

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

KABUL (Reuters) - The wreckage of an Afghan airliner that went missing with 104 people on board was found Friday near the capital, Kabul, a day after it was turned away because of heavy snow, a Western security source said.

Found

I was halfway dozing a bit ago when the evening news was on and I could have sworn the newsman said something about "a stuck yoke" was radioed by the pilot just before it disappeared.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Besides that, it was said that NATO and other search and rescue had to call off the search for bad weather reasons!

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

KABUL, Afghanistan - A NATO helicopter searching for an Afghan jetliner that disappeared during a snowstorm with 104 people aboard found what appears to be the wreckage of the plane Saturday in the forbidding mountains east of the Afghan capital, officials told The Associated Press.

NATO: Found

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
i hope they find the black box too.
and that it wont mysteriously disappear!

"Dutch AH-64 Apache helicopters that were searching for the missing Kam Air Boeing 737 have found the wreckage at 1:37 p.m. The wreckage was spotted in the Shaperi Ghar area approximately 30 km (19 miles) south, southeast of Kabul city," said a statement from NATO peacekeepers in Kabul.

An Afghan Defense Ministry spokesman said there were no survivors.

source:
reuters

[edit on 5-2-2005 by Souljah]

new topics

top topics

join