It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump said he would save jobs at Carrier. The layoffs start July 20.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Curious: Did Trump campaign on this?

No, it actually occurred after the election, while he was in transition mode and took the extraordinary step of involving himself in the role of leadership.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I've worked in the industry of lay offs.

The long and unforgotten world of industrial job that includes pension and full benefits are gone from the western world. If it still exists it's a very niche market, and even at that it's still about the bottom line. No orders, no contracts, no work. And a lot of us workers like that know this and plan ahead. The mart ones survive and flourish the ones who live day by day struggle.
This was my biggest issue with Trumps campaign, he took advantage of the people in desperation to gain a vote.
I worked in the rail manufacturing business for 4 years, a well known established company with ties to TTX, Procor, and had their monopoly on Potash transport, and I still got laid off 3 times, and people who worked there for 22 years got their lay offs as well.

American dirty industry is dead.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Curious: Did Trump campaign on this?

Could it be he really did try, and it wasn't even politically motivated (as in to win an election)??

Perhaps you're a vegetarian, and dogs are never to be thrown a bone?

So you are in favor of participation awards then? Trump gets a prize for trying. Just like kindergarten!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

You're crucifying him for apparently not succeeding. As if he campaigned on it.

While apparently the only other option in your mind is he is to get an AWARD.

The partisan mind really is something to behold. Not exactly a good thing, but it certainly is something.

Okay. If it has to be that way, what had Obama been up to during all of this? Didn't he FAIL as well (this was set in motion on His watch, no)???

Regardless of Neo-McCarthyist anxieties, and tales of weapons of mass groupings (WMG's), might we not all be able to agree that a POTUS not merely talking about jobs about actually going in and trying to save specific jobs was a step in the right direction?

If such a person did try, but failed, should they be discouraged from future attempts by being crucified at every loss?

edit on 25-5-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You're crucifying him for apparently not succeeding. As if he campaigned on it.

While apparently the only other option in your mind is he is to get an AWARD.

Crucifying? Being a bit melodramatic aren't we? I'm just laughing at his incompetence. He deserves it everyday.

The partisan mind really is something to behold. Not exactly a good thing, but it certainly is something.

Truly it is. "Crucifying". Lol.

PS I'm snipping your partisan "What about Obama?" deflection. I'll let you stew in your own partisanship on that one.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

If I had my way we'd have someone whom wasn't republican or democrat as the previous POTUS as our benchmark example I had to use to illustrate my point there.

Which is why I brought Him up.

Well that, and to speak your language.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Well I don't care about your wishes. They mean nothing to me. I care about reality and CURRENTLY I'm talking about Trump sticking his foot in his mouth.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: manuelram16
So I'm guessing you libtards will pile up and accept you were wrong when the labor market is good down the road.... Nah! didn't think so.

Doin what amigo....

Pickin strawberries and fruit for when the Mexicans have all been deported?

Bus boys and hotel cleaning ladies, Pluckin chickens for Peyton?

MAGA, MAGA, MAGA

Yes, when your welfare check dries up and they tell you go do farmwork, btw since Trump came up I've seen more job openings for professional engineers, go figure....

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

So I'm guessing you libtards will pile up and accept you were wrong when the labor market is good down the road.... Nah! didn't think so.

Doin what amigo....

Pickin strawberries and fruit for when the Mexicans have all been deported?

Bus boys and hotel cleaning ladies, Pluckin chickens for Peyton?

MAGA, MAGA, MAGA

Yes, when your welfare check dries up and they tell you go do farmwork, btw since Trump came up I've seen more job openings for professional engineers, go figure....

My welfare check...?

Do you think Trump is going to scrap welfare?

edit on 25-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is the problem with ANY president claiming that they can do anything about jobs--all that they can do is try their best to create a company- and corporation-friendly atmosphere in America so that the enticement of moving manufacturing off of American soil is a better proposition for the company.

Trump hasn't done that yet, and he certainly should not make promises about the company keeping jobs in America when he knows full well that he doesn't control the hiring and manufacturing of a private company.

This is a part of his narcissism, but to be fair, both candidates were saying similar things on the campaign trail, and anyone with half of a brain knew at the time that it was just campaign rhetoric.

Still, it does make him look like an ass.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Well technically he made this promises and this "deal" in December after the election had already happened.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
True, but regardless, it's one of what I'm sure will be many instances of putting his foot in his mouth concerning things that he can't control.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It would be great if Trump would use this experience as a learning tool and he thinks before he speaks in the future, but alas that won't be the case. Trump probably won't even admit that he screwed up here. Because Trump never admits fault. It's one of his core beliefs, and is VERY dangerous.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It would be great if Trump would use this experience as a learning tool and he thinks before he speaks in the future, but alas that won't be the case.

Trump and everyone backing him over company strong-arming need to reflect heavily on something I've been saying for years.

The president is not the MF'ing God of Jobs, nor does the president hold the magic fairy wand to poof them into existence. Presidents are not magically able to make an economy robust, that takes confident consumers/clients. Not a stupid EO and an ego to match it.

Trump erred rather bigly. He erred by thinking he could revamp the economy like a teetering franchise in a death spiral when he can't. The economy is not Sears, and he's not the CEO, and even Sears' current state proves it takes consumer confidence & want of what is offered to survive healthfully, not the magic of suited bean counters.

Nobody wants American made abroad. We don't even want our own s# because we know it's not worth the money. We're railing against cheap Asian crap both in cost and quality, but the best homemade we're going to get is the same crap quality, at double or more the cost. That does NOT inspire consumers to crack open the tightwad wallets.

Increasing tariffs won't fix that. Threatening companies from the OO won't fix that. Consumers have to want to buy American. Right now, consumers are a little too happy with the cheap crap to pay more for the same crap to be made here.

Edit: I'm speaking in terms of mass production and certain borderline niche (for the lack of a better way to put that quality high bar) industrial products such as timber (our wood is not #1, sorry) Not small-scale artisan start-ups & the like.
edit on 5/25/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/25/2017 by Nyiah because: You get a typo! And you get a typo! Everybody gets a typo!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

Holly Gillham, a spokesman for the Indiana Economic Development Corp., which was formerly led by Vice President Pence, said Monday's notice of jobs cuts was consistent with Carrier’s arrangement with the state and Trump.

“As announced in December, Carrier is fully committed to retaining more than 1,000 jobs in Indiana over the next 10 years,” she said in an email. “By choosing to maintain these Hoosier jobs, Carrier is showing confidence in Indiana’s skilled manufacturing workforce.”

From your article. Please read your own source next time...thanks.

Thanks for correcting more fake news...

edit on 25/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Holly Gillham, a spokesman for the Indiana Economic Development Corp., which was formerly led by Vice President Pence, said Monday's notice of jobs cuts was consistent with Carrier’s arrangement with the state and Trump.

“As announced in December, Carrier is fully committed to retaining more than 1,000 jobs in Indiana over the next 10 years,” she said in an email. “By choosing to maintain these Hoosier jobs, Carrier is showing confidence in Indiana’s skilled manufacturing workforce.”

and now the crickets are deafening when the supposed flaw is found to be untrue. always cracks me up when they cant justify the unwarranted hate

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale

and now the crickets are deafening when the supposed flaw is found to be untrue. always cracks me up when they cant justify the unwarranted hate

What's untrue? The majority of the jobs "saved" were skilled jobs that were never leaving to begin with. That was pointed out and also ignored.

From the article:

Michael Strain (this is a guy that wrote an Op/Ed for WaPo titled End Obamacare and People Could Die. And That's Okay.) , director of economic policy studies at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute, said Trump’s deal with Carrier offered a partial solution to a broader problem.

American manufacturing employment, he noted, has dwindled for decades, especially in Indiana, where a third of workers held those jobs 50 years ago; the share today is closer to 10 percent.

“I wouldn’t even call it a deal,” Strain said. “It seemed to be that Carrier was responding to political pressure and did so in a way that allowed them to make it through a political moment.”

Italics mine.

This was a move facilitated by Mike Pence's Governor's Ofifice done purely for the optics. Yes, a few jobs were saved for a brief period of time, and that's great for those people, but treating this like it was some major win is disingenuous.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete

originally posted by: TheScale

What's untrue? The majority of the jobs "saved" were skilled jobs that were never leaving to begin with. That was pointed out and also ignored.

From the article:

Michael Strain (this is a guy that wrote an Op/Ed for WaPo titled End Obamacare and People Could Die. And That's Okay.) , director of economic policy studies at the right-leaning American Enterprise Institute, said Trump’s deal with Carrier offered a partial solution to a broader problem.

American manufacturing employment, he noted, has dwindled for decades, especially in Indiana, where a third of workers held those jobs 50 years ago; the share today is closer to 10 percent.

“I wouldn’t even call it a deal,” Strain said. “It seemed to be that Carrier was responding to political pressure and did so in a way that allowed them to make it through a political moment.”

Italics mine.

This was a move facilitated by Mike Pence's Governor's Ofifice done purely for the optics. Yes, a few jobs were saved for a brief period of time, and that's great for those people, but treating this like it was some major win is disingenuous.

Jobs were saved. How many, who knows.
There was a deal. It was clear what the deal entailed. Read the statement made when the deal was done.
The deal is being kept.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

The manufacturing jobs will move to Monterrey, Mexico, where the minimum wage is $3.90 per day.

But later that month, Greg Hayes, chief executive of United Technologies, admitted that the $16 million investment would go toward automation. “What that ultimately means is there will be fewer jobs,” he told CNBC's Jim Cramer

According to Jones, 550 union members will be laid off, plus another 82 temporary factory staffers who were brought on to help with the transition.

This isn't that hard to follow. The deal, that was actually negotiated by Mike Pence, gave Carrier 16 million dollars to automate their facility. Most of those saved jobs are still moving to Mexico, but the workers were kept on while the facility was upgraded to "help with the transition". I've seen facilities that went automated go from needing 120 people to 16 to do the same job after the machines went in.

You don't know how many of those jobs that weren't leaving in the first place comprise these numbers. The amount of permanent jobs actually saved could be very insignificant (and obviously not to the people that hold them). But I'll stand by the statement that this was a bigger win for the optics of President-Elect Trump then it was a win for the working man. Business found out that all they have to do is threaten to move to Mexico and the President might give them money to put robots in their facility.
edit on (5/26/1717 by PistolPete because: grammar

Edit: It's 730. That is a good amount.

edit on (5/26/1717 by PistolPete because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Carrier agreed to keep c1000 jobs in the US over 10 years.
They are doing that.
Deal done and adhered to.

That's all.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join