It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump said he would save jobs at Carrier. The layoffs start July 20.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Trump said he would save jobs at Carrier. The layoffs start July 20.
Looks like we have another example of yet ANOTHER Trump con. Remember all those jobs Trump "saved" back in November from Carrier? Yeah, they are leaving anyways.

Carrier, the company President Trump pledged to keep on American soil, informed the state of Indiana this week that it will soon begin cutting 632 workers from an Indianapolis factory. The manufacturing jobs will move to Monterrey, Mexico, where the minimum wage is $3.90.

That was never supposed to happen, according to Trump's campaign promises. He told Indiana residents at a rally last year there was a "100 percent chance” he would save the jobs at the heating and air-conditioning manufacturer.

About 1,400 positions were on the chopping block, per company estimates. Over the past year, Trump has claimed he could maintain at least 1,100 of those jobs in the United States. But on Monday, the company gave official notice to Indiana officials that it would start laying off workers at the factory on July 20 and keep slashing staff until approximately 800 factory employees remain.

Here are some of the gems that Trump said about the company:

A celebratory Trump visited the factory in December and announced that, thanks to his negotiating, more than 1,100 of the jobs would stay in the heartland.

“Carrier stepped it up, and now they’re keeping over 1,100 people,” Trump told an audience of cheering factory workers.

He said those numbers could go even higher, noting that United Technologies had agreed to invest roughly $16 million into updating the plant.

“And by the way, that number is going to go up substantially as they expand this area, this plant,” Trump said. “The 1,100 is going to be a minimum number.”

The plant is supposed to be expanding? HA! Check out where that $16 million in investment is really going.

But later that month, Greg Hayes, chief executive of United Technologies, admitted that the $16 million investment would go toward automation.

“What that ultimately means is there will be fewer jobs,” he told CNBC's Jim Cramer.

So the factory still exists. The jobs will still exist. They'll just be done by robots instead. Trump is winning again!

+5 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Holly Gillham, a spokesman for the Indiana Economic Development Corp., which was formerly led by Vice President Pence, said Monday's notice of jobs cuts was consistent with Carrier’s arrangement with the state and Trump.

“As announced in December, Carrier is fully committed to retaining more than 1,000 jobs in Indiana over the next 10 years,” she said in an email. “By choosing to maintain these Hoosier jobs, Carrier is showing confidence in Indiana’s skilled manufacturing workforce.”

From your article. Please read your own source next time...thanks.

+4 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
I can hear you wringing your hands from here...
So sad that people let their competitive political ideology get in the way of people suffering. Rather than looking at this as a victory for "your side". You should look at this as a loss for us all.

I'll give credit to Trump for at least trying.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
But on the bright side, at least you have something to get all frothy of mouth over!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
if i had to guess id imagine carrier probly played up the whole incident with trump simply for free advertising. i do HVAC work and ill say this about carrier, they have their head so far up their arse when it comes to designing their units that i will not purchase any equipment from them and dread having to work on them. i dont understand how they stay in business in the first place. if your a homeowner id suggest not buying anything from them anyhow unless u dont mind paying more in labor when something breaks because they put something in a place that requires u to disassemble half the unit to get at something that normally takes a couple mins to replace. their parts are also not cheap if u get factory replacement parts.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Yep...Ford Motors too...and they are still going ahead with Mexico plans as well.

+12 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad
Also from my source

The company told The Post on Thursday that “more than 1,000 jobs” will be preserved. However that figure included engineering and headquarters staff whose jobs were never scheduled to leave Indianapolis in the first place.

How about you read the source yourself next time?

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
I can hear you wringing your hands from here...
So sad that people let their competitive political ideology get in the way of people suffering. Rather than looking at this as a victory for "your side". You should look at this as a loss for us all.

I'll give credit to Trump for at least trying.

A victory for my side? Lol. I see it as no such thing. It IS a grand opportunity to gloat about Trump's incompetence since he loves to gloat about his supposed greatness though.
edit on 25-5-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

The Indiana Economic Development Corp. board on Tuesday voted to approve up to $7 million in grants and tax credits for Carrier. The November deal, reached after a mix of public shaming by Trump and negotiation by Pence, caused Carrier to backpedal on closing its furnace-making operations in Indianapolis and moving more than 700 jobs to Monterrey, Mexico. Carrier agreed to keep at least 1,069 workers in Indianapolis for the next 10 years.

www.indystar.com...

are you talking about this deal??? so they used the $7 million in grants and tax credits to automate and relocate the jobs, how nice!!!
carrier strikes again!!!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

This is very sad and unfortunate news. I wish Don could have been right on this one.

This is proof that Don speaks out of his #ss and the tumplovers need to take that in consideration and quit following him blindly like they do religion.

Its ok to want what he wants, just know that worshipping him more than likely will not get you there.

Don is a man-child and says things just to get adoration and applause in the moment. He may or may not have the resources to get there, and he may or may not just be saying things to get the glory.

please, smarten up, you know who Im talking to...

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Trump is a master at getting people to believe his BS. Simple minds can only grasp simple concepts. And seldom question anything that challenges their cultish adoration of their chosen leader and the narrative he puts forth.
The US will continue to hemorrhage jobs and Trump can't do sh!t.

It's capitalism....

money.cnn.com...
edit on 25-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

The only thing I see him trying is to understand why he cant or doesnt have the authority he thought to make the changes he "promised".

All that coming from a grandpa businessman with zero military experience who knows "more the the Generals do...BELIEVE ME"...who still has no clue as to how a government runs: by policies, procedures, votes and representatives.

The "BELIEVE ME" crap he keeps saying is usually reaffirmed over and over again by someone who really doesnt believe in himself.

There is still ISIS, Obamacare, no jobs...and that I can tell by the porches filled with able bodied potential workers...waiting for them "jobs" to come......

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's amazing to me that people believed Trump in the first place.

Really though, how would you know if something Trump says is a success or not? Even if something he's involved in is an abject failure he'll still call it the greatest thing ever, just because he's involved in it.

I'm sure this is still a win for Trump supporters somehow. That part of his narcissism has been sold to his followers and they've lapped it up along with every other con device Trump's sold them for a ticket on the Trump train.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is something Trump has already accomplished. A win. We aren't supposed to keep looking.

He's still winning. Every day. You know.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people.

I'll let the readers discern that for what they will.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think carrier was shutting the plant down and he pressured them to keep it open saving around 800 jobs.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Seems when Trump tries to do a lot of things, he gets shot down by lib judges,etc. The President is not as powerful as you may think.

You can make promises with good intentions, only to find out later that it may not work. I could promise to change a friend's tire tomorrow, only to find out he bought the wrong size. Would I be breaking a promise?

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Also from my source

The company told The Post on Thursday that “more than 1,000 jobs” will be preserved. However that figure included engineering and headquarters staff whose jobs were never scheduled to leave Indianapolis in the first place.

I did and quoted the part that that states facts not the author's opinion. I know it goes against your whole agenda of painting Trump as a bad guy, but facts are facts.

link   

originally posted by: underwerks
I'm sure this is still a win for Trump supporters somehow. That part of his narcissism has been sold to his followers and they've lapped it up along with every other con device Trump's sold them for a ticket on the Trump train.

Yeah. Aren't you reading the thread? Trump wins for trying. Apparently the Presidency is the same as kindergarten these days.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Also from my source

I did and quoted the part that that states facts not the author's opinion. I know it goes against your whole agenda of painting Trump as a bad guy, but facts are facts.

Lol. I posted facts too. Try again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join