It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faced with an urgent shortage of workers California farmers are desperate to be heard

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
The cost of living in California is so high that twenty two bucks an hour is not that good a wage. They sure are messing up over there with their crazy liberal ways. They have created an inflation that is making their products too expensive in the market when sold to other states.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Sure they can't get people to work for 22$ an hour so drop it to minimum wage

Brilliant strategy..did you read the OP?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
shortage of workers = shortage of pay

it really that simple, people won't work for $10 an hour picking fruit and almonds in California when it cost $1500 to rent a 1 bedroom come on guys common sense here...

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Sure they can't get people to work for 22$ an hour so drop it to minimum wage

Brilliant strategy..did you read the OP?

California.

They subsidize and flood the public with handouts, yet the price of living is unsustainable. I never said just changing one thing would fix everything, Cali needs to look inwards and fix their economy, especially if they intend to secede.

Put people in jobs through welfare offices/Workforce programs, cap profits on Agri industries. I thought Cali was full of folks that want to share thier wealth for the betterment of fellow citizens.

Its a mess, and they allowed it to happen by relying on illegals.

Have fun running the state as a country.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I see you all never took in the OP post. Mr Goehring is NOT a farmer, he's an agricultural business man.
Well read again and oh what, Mr Goehring DOES NOT produce essential food. He's a grape grower, you know the ones that churn out bottles of wine at $50 plus. That peeps is a luxury item.
Now before I feel sorry for him I would like to see his production and profit costs because when you look at all the wine growers in California they aint destitute. So how about spreading and sharing some of their vast profits to the worker who actually provides the service for them to make those profits.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I live in the Vancouver area so I know all about a very high cost of living, the average starter home begins around a million$ and gas is $5+ a gallon for the cheap stuff..I agree with you on the welfare recipients..they should be presented the opportunity, and if they wont do it..no more benefits.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

“We had to pick and choose vineyards that were gonna forego certain operations, those are the hard decisions we have to make, and we lose a lot of sleep over it,” said Goehring.

Poor little rich man, my heart bleeds for you................NOT!

Sell you stupid vineyard and move to South America.........full of peons to pick your grapes for a $1.00 per week.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I got that entirely.......see my post of just a minute or so ago!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Maybe California shouldn't be taking advantage of illegals for their labor force.
Raise the pay level.
Everyone expects Wal-Mart to pay people more.

The article says raising pay hasn't helped so how will it help anywhere else?

The foodservice industry wages in general have been trending upward because it's become very hard to find people to work.

It's not because people are lazy and don't want to work, it's just that there are not enough people to fill the needed positions.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I still find it funny how I hear "Free market" from many many people.

But when the market is supposed to kick up the $$$ it is ignored.

If you pay they will come.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

It this particular industry, they have been "kicking up" the money.

The problem, as I stated in my post, there are a shortage of people to fill the positions.

Unemployment is at around 4.5%. Even if all of those people were to hired in just this industry alone, there would still not be enough people to fill the positions.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
If I was a farmer, I'd just let the crops rot in the field. Get my crop insurance and go to the bank.

Capitalism the American way.

Want vegetables and strawberries....pickem yourself.

www.cropinsuranceinamerica.org...

Eventually the Mexicans will be welcomed back with open arms, will be able to get a green cards at the border and buses will take them to work in the fields.

Americans love their strawberries.....
edit on 25-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
If I was a farmer, I'd just let the crops rot in the field. Get my crop insurance and go to the bank.

If we were to be smart about this, we would work with our Mexican neighbors to create a better worker program.

Let more people in to the country that want to work. But we can't do that, well...because illegals and stuff.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

If we were to be smart about this, we would work with our Mexican neighbors to create a better worker program.

Let more people in to the country that want to work. But we can't do that, well...because illegals and stuff.

Trump got elected on the hatred of Mexicans.

You reap what you sow....corinthians 6: 7

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

The problem, as I stated in my post, there are a shortage of people to fill the positions.

Unemployment is at around 4.5%. Even if all of those people were to hired in just this industry alone, there would still not be enough people to fill the positions.

I would like to see proof for this claim.

There are a little less than 1 million people unemployed right now in california.

Are you really claiming that the wine industry needs more workers than that?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Trump got elected on the hatred of Mexicans.

You reap what you sow....corinthians 6: 7

Indeed.

If people only understood how connected at the hip we are with Mexico.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I would like to see proof for this claim.

There are a little less than 1 million people unemployed right now in california.

Are you really claiming that the wine industry needs more workers than that?

I did not say the wine industry. I said the foodservice industry as a whole. Not just California, either.

Suppose I should have been more specific and I admit I was being a bit hyperbolic.
edit on 25-5-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-5-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Looks to me like California has its own slave trade that's drying up.

Sorry we have to take your slaves again.

I live in the central valley of California, these farms are mostly owned by corporations, and the ones that are solely owned, are mostly owned by conservative republicans. and let's not forget the billions of dollars in federal subsidies received by these corporate farmers. and to top that off, most farm labor groups are sub-contracted out, meaning the farm or company cannot be held legally responsible for illegal actions by those that run own those sub-contracting companies......it's the details, you need to pay attention to, as with everything else....a clever phrase on a bumper sticker or website, doesn't tell the complete story.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

There is an equilibrium, they have not reached it yet.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

H1B1

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join