It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With Confederate flags gone, Civil War museum will close

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   
By deleting the past you delete the access of knowledge for the future. This is also being done to old climate data. reply to: seasonal

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: yuppa

That moron of a confederate president played into Lincolns hands by saying it was about slavery.

Read the Constitution of the Confederate States or the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens and you will find out that it was about slavery.

The Constitution of The Confederate States of America was a VERY progressive one for its time...
The President of The Confederate States was limited to one term which was 6 years.
The President enjoyed the power of a Line Item Veto
Term limits in the House and Senate
No Tax on Income
Taxes could be paid "in kind"
The preamble began as the US Constitution SHOULD begin We the peole of The Confederate States of America, each State acting in its Sovereign and Independent Character....

The speech that "Little Aleck" gave was a political speech to constituents and was no more government policy that a speech given by Trump at the Coast Guard Academy.

What we should have done is free our servants and THEN fired on Fort Sumter.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

That moron of a confederate president played into Lincolns hands by saying it was about slavery.

Read the Constitution of the Confederate States or the Cornerstone Speech by Alexander Stephens and you will find out that it was about slavery.

100% so. Even during the "reconstruction" it was shown to be as such.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
No different than ISIS going around the middle east and destroying monuments that don't align with their thinking. No respect for anything American by these people destroying our past.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Government historians from the north were out to smear and malign all southerners at that time. only the top percentage fought for slavery and th erest didnt care one way or another.
the Ire the south still feels though isnt from slavery being lost. it was over the north doing the same thing the british would had done to the colonies. King george(abraham lincoln) comparison.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Ah yes Radical Reconstruction...
Please tell me ONE PLACE in the North at that time that would have tolerated even ONE Negro congressman, Governor, or Senator. The yankee imposed on the prostrate South an ALL Negro government and disenfranchised the only people that actually KNEW how to run a State. The northern States had laws that made it illegal for a freedman to even SETTLE in their States. Then, in TRUE yankee fashion, you descended upon the former Confederate States like so many vultures to see what graft and corruption you could manage and what land you could steal. Yet you wondered why a secret organization was formed with the goal of driving the yankee and his allies out of our States...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Teikiatsu
Is there any respect to the thousands upon thousands that were killed?

'Respect' for those fighting to own slaves?
Hahahaha!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

Hahahaha!

You do realize the majority of the people that did the fighting and the dying could not and most likely if the war had not broken out would not have ever been able to afford a slave right?

A very small percentage of the south owned slaves, most were fighting because their home state was under attack, and later on at the behest of the government.

Sure is a shame when an entire group of people are smeared because of the actions of a few huh...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Hahahaha!

I guess some people can put themselves in the shoes of a dirt poor White Southern farmer in 1860 and know what they would do if a bunch of people with rifles marched into their State and attempted kill them. You FIGHT. Americans don't do on your knees very well.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Hahahaha!

You do realize the majority of the people that did the fighting and the dying could not and most likely if the war had not broken out would not have ever been able to afford a slave right?

A very small percentage of the south owned slaves, most were fighting because their home state was under attack, and later on at the behest of the government.

Sure is a shame when an entire group of people are smeared because of the actions of a few huh...

Its funny eh? Its almost liek what the current government does with muslims.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I care not for the battle flag of those who rebelled against this nation. I care nothing for the soldier who fought for the side that had they had won, would've had me in chains today. There is simply no part of that heritage that I respect. Men laid down their lives to have the right to keep others in bondage. Such a waste, good riddance.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
I care not for the battle flag of those who rebelled against this nation. I care nothing for the soldier who fought for the side that had they had won, would've had me in chains today. There is simply no part of that heritage that I respect. Men laid down their lives to have the right to keep others in bondage. Such a waste, good riddance.

Then don't demand that i respect yours. Respect is a two way street.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Demanding that you respect mine would be a fruitless endeavor. The simple fact that you support people who fought for the right to have slaves is automatically disrespectful to the entirety of my being.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg
Demanding that you respect mine would be a fruitless endeavor. The simple fact that you support people who fought for the right to have slaves is automatically disrespectful to the entirety of my being.

It blows my mind that 200 years ago people owned other human beings in this country. OWNED as in, had ownership over another human being like I would over my Playstation4.

And 200 or so years? That's like 3-4 generations of people. Like, great, great grandparents. Still super recent in the bigger picture.

And these humans who were bought and sold made it possible for a some land owners in the south to make a lot of money...and that money went into politics.

And somehow these rich, white, land-and-slave-owning people down south convinced less wealthy white people to fight a war for them.

And even if that war wasn't JUST about owning other humans like property -- if they had won, they would have continued to own people. So these other white people got duped into fighting to protect the ownership of human beings.

And we're still celebrating the "independent spirit" of these white people down south that got duped into fighting for other, richer, land-owning, human being-owning, white people? Even though they lost?

Yeah, none of that ever made sense to me. It seems like a lot of brain washing from plantation owners to the poorer white people of the south.
edit on 27-5-2017 by Kettu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: The3murph

What we should have done is free our servants and THEN fired on Fort Sumter.

They weren't servants, they were slaves. Those held in bondage were nothing close to being servants.

And no, they would not have been freed by choice. The southern economy ran on slave labour. Even after its quasi outlaw, there was still a huge market for it.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
The confederate flag is the new n-word.

Nothing "new" about it, that filthy rag has always implied the "n-word".

K~

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Yet you wondered why a secret organization was formed with the goal of driving the yankee and his allies out of our States...

Huh & here I thought the KKK was just running around terrorizing & killing innocent black folk just because they could.
You mean to say they had more of an agenda than being murderous cowards who raped & killed because they thought it was fun?

K~
edit on 28-5-2017 by aethertek because: quote

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

Didn't you know about their larger agenda?

They invested in a bed sheet company that went bankrupt, and had to find a way to use all those white sheets!

^ That was sarcasm, by the way....

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I thought museums were supposed to be safe??

Oops. Guess not.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

You really should attempt to at least have a passing knowledge of why some of them fought for the south before commenting.

Slave holding, or the right to was only one of several reasons. Those barefoot boys from the hills of Tennessee and Alabama weren't fighting for the right to hold slaves.

I suggest reading excerpts from diaries and letters written by the men and women on both sides, it could be very enlightening for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join