It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 2414: The SWAMP Act of 2017

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Donald Trump's blatant disregard and whimsical spending of tax payer money is pretty outrageous. First of all, if you look back over the years leading up to the election race Captain Orange Manbaby blasted Obama over and over again for his golf outings and the money spent on them. Well the math speaks for itself. Trump is on pace to outspend Obama's total over the course of eight years within his very first.

Representative Ted Lieu from California has drafted a bill aptly titled the SWAMP Act of 2017. “Stop Waste And Misuse by the President Act of 2017” should it be passed would force the Trump to pay back every red cent of tax payer money he spends subsidizing his own business. The office of the President is not his to use as a free media advertisement platform for his resorts. It's also not his to spend tax payer money for little weekend vacations to properties that he owns and operates.

The full text summary of the Swamp Act:

SECTION 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the “Stop Waste And Misuse by the President Act of 2017” or as the “SWAMP Act of 2017”.

The Congress finds as follows:

(1) Presidential travel to commercial entities owned in whole or in part by the President or First Family results in the American taxpayer effectively subsidizing the President’s businesses.

(2) Given current expenditures, President Trump is on track to spend more during his first year of office than all eight years of the Obama administration combined.

(3) It is unacceptable for the President to maintain an interest in traveling to properties in which he has a direct financial interest, as the U.S. Government is responsible for renting space for personnel in said private commercial entities.

(4) Every time the President travels to Mar-a-Lago, he necessarily promotes his private business interests via free press at the Government’s expense.

(5) The State Department’s recent promotion of Mar-a-Lago on its official website raises serious ethics concerns.

(6) As of April 14, 2017, President Trump has cost the U.S. taxpayer unprecedented amounts of money, including the following estimated costs:

(A) For trips to Mar-a-Lago:

(i) Total cost for security in Palm Beach: $3,700,000 (each trip).

(ii) Roundtrip flights from Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, to West Palm, Florida: $700,000.

(iii) Overtime for local law enforcement during Trump’s trips: $60,000/day.

(iv) Total golf cart rentals ordered by the Secret Service “for POTUS visit”: $35,185.

(v) Estimated loss of business due to airport closure: $30,000/weekend.

(B) For Trump Tower:

(i) Request for additional Secret Service funding to secure Trump Towers: $60,000,000.

(ii) New York Police Department security costs: $127,000–$146,000/day.

(iii) “Elevator services” ordered by the Secret Service: $64,000.

(iv) Air Force One flights to New York City: $180,000/hour.

(7) The proposed 2017 Federal spending bill includes reimbursements for millions of dollars spent by Florida and New York to protect the President and First Family, and facilitate their travel. While localities should be reimbursed, the taxpayer should not be responsible for said reimbursement.

SEC. 3. Reimbursal for costs of protection.

In the case of a person whom the United States Secret Service is authorized to protect under paragraph (1) or (2) of section 3056(a) of title 18, United States Code, if that person, while traveling for official business or for personal purposes, stays in a hotel or other establishment providing daily-rate accommodation in which that person has an ownership or financial interest, that person shall reimburse to the Treasury—

(1) any amount expended by the United States Secret Service for the provision of such protection; and

(2) any amount expended for other costs incurred by the Government pertaining to that stay.

HR 2414 The SWAMP Act

Thus far, as of mid April the President has spent $21.6 million just to Mar a Lago alone. That doesn't count the $127,000 - $146,000 (which the New York Police Department has confirmed that it costs) to protect the First Lady while she stays in New York, away from the White House.

Obama spent $97 million on travel/vacation through the course of 8 years. If Donald keeps up the pace of his current spending for vacations and golf trips to Florida or New Jersey/New York he will out pace his predecessor within the first year of his presidency. So much for fiscal conservatism... at least when it comes to his ability to waste tax payer money subsidizing his own businesses.

Donald Trump's travel expenses in 10 weeks cost US taxpayers as much as Barack Obama spent in two years

The bill estimates that the total cost of security to Mar-a-Lago for each trip is $3.7 million, roundtrip flights from Joint Base Andrews to West Palm, Florida at $700,000, overtime pay for local police at $60,000 a day and Secret Service golf cart rentals at $35,185 for each visit, among others.

Bill aims to make Trump pay government back for taxpayer-funded trips to Mar-a-Lago

What say you, fellow members?
edit on 24-5-2017 by AnonyMason because: spelling/grammar

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i say the american taxpayer is getting hosed and it is very clear.
apparently most dont seem to mind...

you will see what i mean here very soon with the replies that come.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Absolutely! Remove the president for spending 25 million dollars in 3 months.

A question: is this an argument about his ability as a president or is it a sh!tpost?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah... I wait with bated breath.

I'm going to get some beer.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

You're not concerned at all that the President is using the White House to subsidize vacations to establishments that he gains a profit from?

It doesn't bother you in the least to see tax payer money go directly into his pockets while we pay for his vacations?

If he hits the $92 million mark in the first year? Knowing full well that it took Obama eight to rack up the same expense? Meaning that should President Trump make it 8 years we, the tax payers, will have spent almost $740 million that goes directly into his business coffer?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
But... Obama! And Hillary! And Trump has earned his vacations, just don’t ask me how or why, just know he has because Obama and Hillary and/or liberals.

This bill is un-American because we’re supposed to support our president! Just don’t think about the Tea Party protests or the past 8 years and you’ll know what I mean.

I think I’ve made my point, now I will collect my stars and feel as though I am right because people agree with me.

Am I ATS’ing right?
edit on 5/24/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnonyMason

You're not concerned at all that the President is using the White House to subsidize vacations to establishments that he gains a profit from?

It doesn't bother you in the least to see tax payer money go directly into his pockets while we pay for his vacations?

If he hits the $92 million mark in the first year? Knowing full well that it took Obama eight to rack up the same expense? Meaning that should President Trump make it 8 years we, the tax payers, will have spent almost $740 million that goes directly into his business coffer?

Are you kidding me? When multiple millions are spent by detractors getting news stories in place?

Por favor, un poco de sentido comun!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Your senses are far from common, mi amigo.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
Absolutely! Remove the president for spending 25 million dollars in 3 months.

A question: is this an argument about his ability as a president or is it a sh!tpost?

its starting mason

a lot of people just dont care even though it is right in front of them.

they had no problem dogging obama about money spent every time they could. every vacation. every golf outing.

now that trump is doing it on a far larger scale its just whatevs.....
there is an excuse for all of it.

an excuse for why he has to go to mar a largo all the time....apparently he can not meet people in confidence at the white house.

an excuse for melania staying in new york....its all about barons school. well school is ending soon and i am very curious to see when and if she moves into the white house.

funny cause lots defend her for staying in new york for school cause she is just trying to be a good mom and do whats best for the kid.

when the obamas stay in dc for the exact same reason they get ripped on and its because obama is going to attempt to overthrow trump and whatever whatever

edit on 24-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Your senses are far from common, mi amigo.

Well FU as well, I guess we can all be insulting, right?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Let the hate flow through you.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonyMason

I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect the US taxpayers to foot the bill when the president travels, even if for a vacation. We elected him to a position in which protection is needed and that can be very costly.

But...I don't think the President should be able to use that for personal gain. This bill addresses that issue.

Presidents deserve vacations and time to relax. They do not get to profit from it.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

No biggie. Saudi arabia is giving us mucho billions and billions. 26 mil is chump change compared to that

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Read the list of bill sponsors then maybe look who needs publicity, a boost for the mid-terms ect.....
You can write whatever legislation you want, that doesn't mean it will ever come out of committee. Without more to go on it looks like another "publicity dog & pony show" lots of righteousness and hot air.

Plus.
Slippery slope people. If they legislate where you can go or do business as President, it can happen to anyone not in "favor". It's a grab at curtailing Trumps constitutional rights. If you're happy with that??
You're nuts.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Remember when Michelle didn’t travel with Barack to French Polynesia? They were saying that they might be on the verge of divorce. Now that Melania isn’t living in the White House they aren’t even entertaining such ideas.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Nah, I far prefer to engage people in debate. Sadly you seem, by your actions, to be neither able nor willing to actually debate, finding refuge in veiled insult.

Good for you.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Remember when Michelle didn’t travel with Barack to French Polynesia? They were saying that they might be on the verge of divorce. Now that Melania isn’t living in the White House they aren’t even entertaining such ideas.

yes i remember.
figures.
trump can do no wrong. nothing negative can be said about trump.
its wild

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Good lord, this is the crap that these idiots on Washington are working on?
It's a waste of time and paper and it's news?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Ha!

Coming from a member of Congress, that's rich!
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I agree we need to stop waste and abuse of taxpayer money at all levels of Govt. The hypocrisy of our elected officials knows no bounds.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Nah, I far prefer to engage people in debate. Sadly you seem, by your actions, to be neither able nor willing to actually debate, finding refuge in veiled insult.

Good for you.

They can't debate??? You're the one without a valid counter argument!! God the projection and false claims you Trumpanzees make is just laughable.

You're argument is just FU and personal attacks. YOU HAVE NOTHING!!! Yet you talk about others as not being able to debate. Such incredible lies that come forth from some of you is unbelievable. It's like you're too dumb to know your dumb or something.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join