It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isreal to receive specially instrumented F-35I in 2020

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The Israelis apparently are getting a special F-35I. This one will come wit lots of sensors that the normal F-35s will not. The intent is to allow Israel to test and add their specific and unique weapons to the F-35.

www.flightglobal.com...

I have to admit I am a little uncomfortable with this. The chinese-israeli relationship isn't exactly a secret and other allies have been adding their own weapons (meteor) without a special bird like this. Maybe I am wrong though?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The United States of Israel

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Israel get's our Best..... That's how it is. At some point the jets will be too fast for humans and become RC. Millions of American kids pretty good on those controllers.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

They are approved to purchase the aircraft and it is their money so why not customize it to their own needs. Israel has some mighty technology of their own and are starting to sell some of that technology on the open market just like the US. As for China, they have the J31 which according to some reports is superior to the F35. The Russian fighter is also believed to be superior so maybe its time to develop the next platform, and I am certain they already have it which is why we now allow export of the F-35.

www.military.com...

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Israel get's our Best..... That's how it is. At some point the jets will be too fast for humans and become RC. Millions of American kids pretty good on those controllers.

Nope, too much lag.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Zaphod58 probably knows more. But from my understanding the Israelis want to be able to install their own stuff.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I would suppose controllers and craft would be within the same theatre. and lags a non issue.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Yes it is. You're talking satellite links, even if they're in theatre together. They're operating beyond line of sight, so have to have a sat link. That means lag right now.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

The Israelites don't have the ability to betray us right now on the 35. We armed Saudi Arabia air Force to let them know that we are ensuring they stay toe to line. If they cross us and lose material and intelligence support their Life expectancy will be decades. With us Israel will ensure forever, without us?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bra1nwash

That didn't stop them with the Lavi.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

So if the F-35 turns out to be a joke against the Chinese and Russian versions, why not let the Israelis pimp it up?
We still have the edge with the triangles don't we? Didn't some of those foreign people steal the F-22 and F-35 plans about a decade ago? It has been suggested that the F-35, at least, was only an effort to draw down the development funds of the other guys and give America a bigger edge with the triangle craft while also giving aerospace workers something to do that we couldn't send to China for building.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Buck

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
They will be selling them empty airframes more than likely and maybe the engines.Knowing Israel they will standardise it to their way.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I just post this here

As expected for some time, Israel proposed a deal to purchase additional advanced F-15Es before procuring more F-35s. They also want their existing F-15Is to be upgraded to the same standard.:

www.flightglobal.com...

TheWarzone had a good article about this some time ago, explaining how this decision is not about the F-35
www.thedrive.com...

I think its a pretty good call. If you look at their OOB, they have about a squadron of really old F-15A/Bs still in service (alongside even more F-15C/Ds). All upgraded multiple times of course but with their operational tempo they'll reach the end rather sooner than later, no matter many times the rebuild them.
They could of course replace them with F-35s of course, but their capabilies dont match exactly (especially not now with the F-35Is just out of IOC) and its probably now or never for additional F-15s. The production line is sunsetting, this Israeli order if it goes through may very well be the last F-15s ever build i think.

The Problem they are facing however is to keep their numbers up. The IAF has shrunk rather dramatrically in the recent past and will only shrink further. They already got rid of their old F-16A/Bs some time ago and the remaining F-16C/Ds arent that far behind either give ntheir operational tempo. In fact they are already in the process of selling some of them off (www.defensenews.com...) which is a rather perplexing decision.
Of course some of the work is picked up by UAVs of course (the IAF operates well north of fifty weapon capable UAVs) but those also need to replace their dwindling combat helicopter fleet. They sold their entire inventory of Kiowas to Jordan some three years ago and good knows how long they plan to keep the AH-64As operational.
So its not surprising that their Ministry of Defense is also exploring other options than airpower to support the troops. Their Minister of Defense Liebermann pushed through his own pet project recently, equipping the Armys Artillery Corps with theater missiles capable of striking deep inside enemy territory (excellent article on the subject: www.ynetnews.com...).
These measure however dont solve the main issue. The gulf nations are building up their air forces with highly advanced airplanes, Israel alleged qualitativ advantage has been negated to essentially a handfull of F-35Is at this point. Of course arab air forces are still pretty crappy, as far as tactics, maintnance, sortie generation rates and so forth and relations with their arab neighbours and with the Gulf States are better than ever, so this not a short term military problem. But some of those things can change pretty quickly and if they are not carefull, the Israelis might find themselves lacking fighter jets sooner or later.

posted on May, 18 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

They are approved to purchase the aircraft and it is their money so why not customize it to their own needs. Israel has some mighty technology of their own and are starting to sell some of that technology on the open market just like the US. As for China, they have the J31 which according to some reports is superior to the F35. The Russian fighter is also believed to be superior so maybe its time to develop the next platform, and I am certain they already have it which is why we now allow export of the F-35.

www.military.com...

Their money?

At a signing ceremony at the State Department on September 14, 2016, representatives of the U.S. and Israeli governments signed a new 10-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on military aid covering FY2019 to FY2028. Under the terms of the MOU, the United States pledges to provide $38 billion in military aid ($33 billion in Foreign Military Financing grants plus $5 billion in missile defense appropriations) to Israel. This MOU replaces a previous $30 billion 10-year agreement, which runs through FY2018.

There is more aid beyond this.

top topics

join