It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump's Budget Betrays His Pledge Not To Cut Social Security

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Throes
If Walmart is going to pay people more then Joe public has to be willing to pay more for goods since you are forcing them to increase their operating expenses.

It would be a very small increase. Australia has double our minimum wage, with no appreciable change in the cost of goods for most items.

The cost of everything is Australia is higher.

Some jobs are meant for young adults starting out to work part time and be paid a lower wage. Look at the restaurant business in San Fran as an example of what happens when you increase the minimum wage.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   
He's going marginalize supporters. People are focused on the cuts as a positive to urban areas, when their areas too, such as rural will be impacted.

I volunteer helping the homeless and low income. There's already a donated funds and food shortage going on as it is. In states that cannot foot the bill with a cut in foodstamps, they can't handle the amount of people showing up for food either at food banks.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

You don't know wtf you are talking about. You were taught a racist line of garbage. Now you hate 'snooty whites' right? Man, you are a piece of racist work. Preaching that the Republicans hate blacks. Sad. It is people like you that continue the cycle of ignorance.

I said late 1800's. I then gave you the names of the presidents who brought in the progressive push but you do not want to listen. You do not see both sides and it is how you were raised it seems.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Catalina22

And you....do you have an original thought or are you just like the rest and want to call anyone who disagrees a racist to? for some stars....make you feel good? You should take your tagline from Mr . Tyson and try to live it. You may actually learn something.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Throes
Some jobs are meant for young adults starting out to work part time and be paid a lower wage. Look at the restaurant business in San Fran as an example of what happens when you increase the minimum wage.

Then those jobs shouldn't be hiring adults that need to support themselves. They are.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: veracity

You don't know wtf you are talking about. You were taught a racist line of garbage. Now you hate 'snooty whites' right? Man, you are a piece of racist work. Preaching that the Republicans hate blacks. Sad. It is people like you that continue the cycle of ignorance.

I said late 1800's. I then gave you the names of the presidents who brought in the progressive push but you do not want to listen. You do not see both sides and it is how you were raised it seems.

lol, i do see both sides, tis the only way i can gain clarity

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

ahh my math was messed up, for some reason in my head I was comparing the cut of 800 million over 10 yrs versus 3 billion of savings yearly, idk how I messed up so bad. Thanks for pointing that out

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: AboveBoard

originally posted by: Montana
So how about this, Why doesn't he cut the waste and excess FIRST. Then cut the funding for the savings that are found? Isn't making cuts first kind of putting the cart before the horse? Since everyone knows this will never pass congress, this is just more grandstanding, isn't it?

See this is the thing ^^^. You are spot on.

If the are concerned about fraud, they first need to fund fraud reduction units and better track where the money goes. Then, after they stabilize the program minus most of the fraud, they will better know what level of funding to apply.

They might also review the standards used for people to receive disability and make sure the program serves actual disability and not overly generous standards for qualification.

It ain't rocket science.

So bloat the govt some more in order to find out what bloat needs to be taken out.
This is what created the mess in the first place.

Not at all. What has been done is to eliminate the people and resources that can police fraud in the system. You cannot possibly eliminate fraud without knowing where, how and by whom the fraud was committed -- or what category of fraud is made more possible by the current laws...

You can't specifically target fraud by simply cutting the budget. That is like laying down machine gun fire on a crowd of mostly innocent people because a few criminals may be lurking in their midst robbing and stealing.

Blanket "cuts" to Social Security Individual Disability will do great harm and may not eliminate the "bad players." Why not supply the resources (jobs!) to go after the bad actors, protect the innocent, and look for ways to restructure the laws so that the baddies can't keep up their thieving ways?

If you eliminate millions (or even billions over time) of dollars of fraud and/or waste, without hurting people who need help, how is that a bad thing?

edit on 25-5-2017 by AboveBoard because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
This surprises anyone why exactly? The man is incapable of truth.

He said he intended, not promise.

Lol. What a superb example of drinking the kool aid.

Going back on his campaign rhetoric? Oh, it was only intended not promised!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Trump breaks a promise??? It's called a Tuesday.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Just a slight wake up call to try and counter the propaganda.

There are no cuts - Trump's budget increases social security substantially over the next 10 years, in fact I don't think there is a single year in the budget that makes any cuts.

The wailing and crying is because despite the substantial rises in social security expenditure budgeted, those rises are not as high as the previous budget going out 10 years, which were only ever loose estimates anyway.

I am not hopeful that these facts will create even a dent in the lunacy we are seeing in our media and the discussion here, but nonetheless one can but hope.
edit on 26/5/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Just a slight wake up call to try and counter the propaganda.

There are no cuts - Trump's budget increases social security substantially over the next 10 years, in fact I don't think there is a single year in the budget that makes any cuts.

The wailing and crying is because despite the substantial rises in social security expenditure budgeted, those rises are not as high as the previous budget going out 10 years, which were only ever loose estimates anyway.

I am not hopeful that these facts will create even a dent in the lunacy we are seeing in our media and the discussion here, but nonetheless one can but hope.

The inflation rate is 3.5%. Any increase less than that, is effectively a cut. Note that this doesn't just apply to social security. If you're employed, any raise less than 3.5% is the company giving you an annual pay cut.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: jjkenobi
I have a very hard time believing there is enough fraud to justify those cuts.

Google is your friend

Fra ud And Disability Equal A Multibillion Dollar Black Hole For Taxpayers

Improper payments estimated at $3 billion per annum according to Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget :

Fact Sheet: How much waste, fraud, and abuse is there in Social Security?

Assuming those numbers are anywhere near accurate, reducing some of that $3 billion of waster per year would produce savings that could easily surpass that $800 billion cut over a 10-year period.

But we won't know until we see the results, which wouldn't even be for several years.

You're also not going to know until you improve your math & reading comprehension skills just a bit as well.

For starters, you seem to have gotten S.S. disability cuts and Medicaid cuts mixed up.

According to the OP,

Planned cuts to S.S. Disability = 72 billion over 10 yrs which = 7.2 billion per yr..

Planned cuts to Medicaid = 800 billion over 10 yrs which = 80 billion per yr..

Reducing 3 billion dollars of waste, fraud and abuse over a 10 yr period = 30 billion.

30 billion wouldn't even pay for half of the proposed 72 billion in cuts to S.S. disability, much less the proposed cuts to Medicaid.

On the other hand, Trump's budget proposal is yet another, among many, fine examples of just what a colossal liar he truly is.
edit on 30-5-2017 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join