It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No sound

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Win 7 home edition, built in Realtech HD audio, Xonar Essence STX Sound Card, Audio connected to the HIFi - Denon AVR 1905 with Built in Decoders , no additions, deletions or changes to the set up. Had this computer for several years.

working fine when I turned it all off the nighte before but would not work next morning and not since.

Not playing MP3, MP4, etc.

All settings in the task bar checked muitiple times.

Checked speaker and system sound settings in control panel a dozen times.

Tried playing audio with Foobar instead of VLC as usual but no change

Uninstallted and updated Realtech HD audio and Xonar Essence STX Sound Cards drivers - no go,

Also tried playing in Audacity but no go.

Also used the audio trouble shooter in the control panel but it doesent find anything wrong.

Been near on 3 days now, Any ideas gratefuly received.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

That's weird. Happened to my computer about the same time. I'm in Aussie. Been googling since. Have managed to get it back by purchasing new driver updates.

Shouldn't have to purchase but in the interests of myself who likes watching vids I thought this was the best measure.

Glad to hear your experience. Leastways I wasn't the only one.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   
can you try playback devices, click on your's click disable, then re-enable?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Sometimes with hardware issues it's voodoo. Turn all the power off and wait 2 minutes and turn back on. With a laptop do a shutdown, remove the A/C cord, and pop out the battery to make sure it's really off. For a desktop, after shutdown, just pull out the A/C cord from the back and plug back in.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Have you tried plugging in a different output device, like a set of basic desktop speakers?

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Any recent downloaded updates to the operating system? I have sometimes found a recent update disabling Windows Media Player, so that the system needs to be re-set to the earlier date. On one occasion an update actually chose to disable my USB connections, which had allegedly been "causing problems".

edit on 24-5-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I had a problem such as that. Something about a MS download stopped/deleted MS media player from working. No downloads of the frees ones worked. After some searches for answers I found one that said to do a couple of things one of which takes you into the registry. A No-No for ignorant me! One was to pay to download MS Media Player. It cost 15 bucks. I did and then it worked. That's the price we pay for a free download of Win 10.

There are a lot of tricks these companies play upon us to get us to download/buy upgrades. I know damned well that my GPS has done that.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Couple easy but nasty things to check in there simple and easily overlooked.

Open Control Panel - place view on small icon and look for Sounds. Not the hardware sound card interface but the one that makes a BING when you open file, or mess up... The Windows Sounds. Do they work? Does your PC make a sound when you make a mistake, open a file, shutdown/startup? If it does then your card is good. Regaurdless of the higher sound function, if you hear a beep... sound is working. If it does beep. Again, in Control Panel, go to Autoplay, scroll to the bottom, and hit the 'Reset to Default'. Try an MP3...

If no Windows Sound at all..In Control Panel, open Device Manager, find Soundcard devices listed, open that, locate the Roll Back Button, and rollback the latest driver of the Soundcard... Cheers, you'll get it.

edit on 24-5-2017 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I have Realtech also and sometimes it can be the speaker setting. If you have it set on 5.1 for example, trying setting it to stereo.
I've also had an issue with an echo type effect, but that was fixed by changing other settings.
ETA : Check your default settings for the speakers.
edit on 24-5-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Slightly off topic FYI: The echo thing can be your live computer mic picking up your speakers and sending it back in to the system in a loop.

Cell phone call to home and home has speaker on.... One will hear their own voice echo from cell to home to cell from home phone in an "echo".

**OP? Check all your "mutes".

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I don't have a mic.
I found it was in the Realtech settings.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I know it sounds stupid.... But disconnect all of the wires from your outputs, inspect them for any bends, snips, or otherwise unfriendly guests chewing on them. If the wires are fine, you may want to shake up your hifi setup over a white table to see if anything falls out or is jiggling around in there. I am not saying you are not careful. And I am not saying you are not clean.

But something similar like this happened to my laptop a while back in a different way... And I found a cockroach had died inside of my laptop. It somehow got inside... And what the repair guy told me was... His antennae must have touched two wrong areas... And electrocuted himself to death, but it shorted out the battery looking capacitor.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Check your device manager.See if you see any yellow triangles next to your components.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I had this same problem with a sound card a few years ago. Try re-seating the card in the card slot (with power off... of course)... then reboot.

It seemed like the card was too thin for the slot, and it took some effort to get good electrical contact.

I eventually got frustrated, having to open the case to re-seat the card time after time.

I got a new card.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   

I would like to thank all those who suggested ideas that might lead to getting the sound back on computer. After 3 days I managed to get it going again.

The cause was when I shut the HIFI off the night before, somehow, the channels on the Denon defaulted to a channels that do not conduct sound. By placing both main tuner and the fine tuner onto a 'stereo' channel it worked as good as gold.

I've written this in my list of faults and how to fix them. Perhaps others might like to make a note of this too.
Thank you all once again for your help.

top topics

join