Goodbye Mr. Thurmond

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Good Bye Strom.

"WASHINGTON - Former Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, a one-time Democratic segregationist who helped fuel the rise of the modern conservative Republican Party in the South, died Thursday at 100.

Thurmond, whose physical and political endurance were legendary he holds the record for solo Senate filibustering retired on Jan. 5, 2003 at the age of 100 after more than 48 years in office.

His voting record was pro-defense, anti-communist and staunchly conservative. His devotion to constituent services was legendary. He was a lifelong physical fitness buff, who shunned tobacco and alcohol and was known for his vigorous handshake. He had a storied, lifelong reputation as a ladies man.

Thurmond's racial politics changed over the years as blacks began voting in large numbers. He became the first Southern senator to hire a black aide, supported the appointment of a black Southern federal judge and voted to make Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday a national holiday. "

Well, I will have to give my condolences to the owner of my old house, his daughter.

XAOS

[Edited on 27-6-2003 by xaos]

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I got the news via email--and i'm not sorry to say that i don't grieve his passing. Seems the strong die young and the weak die suffering. Tru politican was Mr. Thurmond. tis what it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   

new topics

join