It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carry on...regardless.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Lets just get rid of all of the investigators and police looking to stop terrorism too.

Which part of ‘go after the attackers and bring them to justice’ didn’t you understand?

+1 more 
posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

Lets just get rid of all of the investigators and police looking to stop terrorism too.

Which part of ‘go after the attackers and bring them to justice’ didn’t you understand?

The part that you edited that after I typed.

Now please go back to telling everyone they can't grieve or discuss what happened in this "minor" incident.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Minor?????? 20 people mostly children and you call it minor, wtf is wrong with you?????

I am a historian.

I also live in a city that was under constant threat of terrorist attack for 26 years.

I repeat: the way to eliminate terrorism is to ignore it.

The terrorist uses force because he knows he will never get his way by democratic means. Through calculated savagery, his aim is to induce fear in the hearts of people and weariness towards resistance.

In this evil strategy, the actions of the media are all important. For newspapers and television, acts of terrorism inevitably make good copy and compelling viewing. The hijacker and the terrorist thrive on publicity: without it, their activities and their influence are sharply curtailed. There is a fearful progression, which the terrorists exploit to the full. They see how acts of violence and horror dominate the newspaper columns and television screens of the free world. They see how that coverage creates a natural wave of sympathy for the victims and pressure to end their plight no matter what the consequence. And the terrorists exploit it. Violence and atrocity command attention. We must not play into their hands...

We must try to find ways to starve the terrorist and the hijacker of the oxygen of publicity on which they depend.

Margaret Thatcher, speech to the American Bar Association, 15 July 1985.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

See the note appended to that edit.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I am a historian. I also live in a city that was under constant threat of terrorist attack for 26 years. I repeat: the way to eliminate terrorism is to ignore it.

Good for you on being a historian, can we eliminate cancer if we ignore it?

Another thing I would like to know is how can you say ignore it in one sentence then in another you say go after the attackers, how can one do that if they are suppose to ignore it?

(post by Deplorable removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Thanks for a more civilized reply than the person with the Mulder avatar.

We — the general public — should ignore the terrorist threat just get on with our lives. Obviously this does not apply to the authorities, to people in the immediate vicinity of an attack, or who are in a position to assist the victims. But everybody else should just, as the thread title says, carry on regardless. Let the authorities deal with the terrorists.

Do you know how terrorism stops working? It stops working when it stops scaring people. Margaret Thatcher, who faced down the threat of the IRA, understood this clearly, as my quote above shows. Americans don’t seem to; they’ve been making a song and dance about it ever since 9/11, and appear to be surprised that the danger keeps increasing.

In my own country, suicide-bombing attacks became so common in the Eighties and early Nineties that we basically stopped paying attention. My wife and mother-in-law once saw a bomber detonate himself in an attempt to assassinate the Secretary of Defence, whose motorcade was passing. They literally saw the bomber’s head part company from his body and land in the road a few yards from them. When it was all over and the area was cleared, they carried on with their shopping.

Terrorism is defeated when it ceases to terrorize.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable

What a pathetic, cowardly post.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Thanks for a more civilized reply than the person with the Mulder avatar.

We — the general public — should ignore the terrorist threat just get on with our lives. Obviously this does not apply to the authorities, to people in the immediate vicinity of an attack, or who are in a position to assist the victims. But everybody else should just, as the thread title says, carry on regardless. Let the authorities deal with the terrorists.

Do you know how terrorism stops working? It stops working when it stops scaring people. Margaret Thatcher, who faced down the threat of the IRA, understood this clearly, as my quote above shows. Americans don’t seem to; they’ve been making a song and dance about it ever since 9/11, and appear to be surprised that the danger keeps increasing.

In my own country, suicide-bombing attacks became so common in the Eighties and early Nineties that we basically stopped paying attention. My wife and mother-in-law once saw a bomber detonate himself in an attempt to assassinate the Secretary of Defence, whose motorcade was passing. They literally saw the bomber’s head part company from his body and land in the road a few yards from them. When it was all over and the area was cleared, they carried on with their shopping.

Terrorism is defeated when it ceases to terrorize.

Lets see, the city of Rotherham ignored the grooming scandal for a decade.

People tried to bring it up, and people like you told them they couldn't discuss it.

Now 1400 girls were sexually assaulted. I suppose my bringing this up is only feuling it though, in your mind.

So we need to tell those girls that we are sorry. Not because we were silent and allowed the abuse to occur, but because we brought it up and charged the people that did this to them.

After all the sexual assault can only hurt them if they talk about it and let it hurt them.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Paedophiles grooming their victims is terrorism now?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

That is a bad example.

The Rotherham sex scandal wasn't designed to strike terror in the general population. Astynax also never said that things should not be dealt with.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Paedophiles grooming their victims is terrorism now?

But we can't discuss radical Islam.

Thats your point right?

So let me go through your mind set.

We can talk about radical islam grooming girls. We can't talk about them blowing up girls at a concert.

Makes sense.

Please go on telling us how minor this attack was. Please let us know how the grieving families are responsible for the next attack by talking about their loss and allowing these terrorists to terrorize them.

In addition, there are many Muslims that are trying to get radicalism out of their midst.

These people too need to shut up right, because by suggesting someone may be radical they are bringing up terrorism and admitting they have a fear of it.
edit on 23-5-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
I hope Morissey is not arrested, like other Brits have been, for discussing Islamic terrorism in public.

Thank god for the first ammendment...while it lasts.

Who has been arrested for discussing Islamic terrorism in public?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Yet more conclusive proof that Morrissey really is an utter arse.

Politicians are never the victim? Maybe he could tell that to the family of Jo Cox.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

This guy should shut his mouth right?

His attempts in asking fellow Muslims to call out radical behavior is giving terrorism power over him.

Its weird though isn't it?

he seems to imply his community has been ignoring the problem for too long.

Why didn't this ignoring solve the problem?

Oh, I guess we need every single person to ignore terrorism before its defeated.

edit on 23-5-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

edit on 5.24.2017 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

You keep harping on about something that was not said.

Ok, maybe what was posted could have been understood that way but it was already clarified.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

You keep harping on about something that was not said.

Ok, maybe what was posted could have been understood that way but it was already clarified.

How so? We are not allowed to discuss terrorism. Only the people going after them can, aka the investigators.

Thats what was said.

If I am reading that wrong, please clarify for me.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I'm guessing anyone who can directly help should.

Everyone else should try not to act terrorized and go on with their lives. You can talk about it but don't fear-monger. I know that is a tall order.

In the end nobody is going to follow advice if they don't want to or if it means clicks. That is a variable Mrs. Thatcher wasn't dealing with.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

But we can't discuss radical Islam. Thats your point right?

Hahahahahaha!

In addition, there are many Muslims that are trying to get radicalism out of their midst.

That’s right. While the media circus only helps publicize and propagate it.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Hi-yah!

Russia Russia Russia!

Simmer down-nuh

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join