It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"China's Epic Race to Avoid a Food Crisis'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Um fighting off fishermen? One jet/helicopter would take care of a fleet of fishing boats?

Did I miss something?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
As long as technology exist that can turn seawater into drinking water, I don't think it would be too bad and most likely going to be a future cash crop.

Yes, water is a fundamental right and I am sure it will be "free", to a certain extent, think vols per day/family#.

You see, its still very expensive and I'm sure very costly to operate, especially multiple facilities. I'm talking desalination plants and other similar methods.

"Among industrialized countries, the United States is one of the most important users of desalinated water, especially in California and parts of Florida. The cost of desalination has kept desalination from being used more often"(USGS et Al).

The issue with food however is different, I propose verticle farming.

"The building’s ceiling allowed for grow tables to be stacked twelve layers tall, to a height of thirty-six feet, in rows eighty feet long. The vertical farm grows kale, bok choi, watercress, arugula, red-leaf lettuce, mizuna, and other baby salad greens" (thenewyorker et Al).

Clearly, adopting infrastructure such as this can potentially offset food immensly and plenty of it.

"When the vertical farm is in full operation, as it expects to be soon, it hopes to ship, annually, more than a thousand tons of greens" (thenewyorker et Al).

Through enough planning, first world nations and other lesser countries can most assuredly deflect this potential crisis. Its all about the culture.

References:
water.usgs.gov...
www.newyorker.com...

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
as they become bigger players do they risk becoming the new bullies?

Oriental

Orient : align or position (something) relative to the points of a compass or other specified positions

Disoriented : make (someone) lose their sense of direction.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   
From a population standpoint, the Chinese moving to a western diet is the greatest thing ever.

3 ways to fix population:

- wars
- birth control
- disease

Looks like China has picked up 2 of the 3 torches. Which makes me wonder...how would china actually fare in war?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Good grief. Chinese starting to eat the Western Diet, can't they see we are sick from this kind of diet. They do not allow a lot of American food that contains chemicals in China though, that may make things better, most cereals are not allowed to be imported from America for a couple of reasons.

They see a Western diet as a status symbol, that they have made it to "the wealthy class". In particular eating beef and other red meats. With a diet of white meat like chicken and turkey, it's just a matter of bird feed, water, cages and some space to walk around, either indoor or outdoor.

With red meat, they need fields, wheat grain, lots of water for both cattle and wheat. The only way to achieve that is to clear natural ancients forests for fields, then move onto the next patch of land when those fields turn to desert.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

The closest thing China has to pasture land is Mongolia and that's not theirs.

It's no wonder Russia is watching them very nervously. Russia has large tracts of the sort of land China would need and it's very open and essentially empty. Of course, you have to figure Mongolia is even more nervous.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Puma says he was shocked at the scale of the problem revealed in the results. Many of the countries that rely most heavily on overexploited aquifers also happen to be the world's biggest food producers: the U.S., Mexico, China, India. And the relationship between supply and demand in the global food trade is already tight. "So it's really troubling to look at this, on top of all of the challenges we face for the global food supply," he said.

phys.org - Overuse of water threatens global food supply.

Using data and a couple models some researchers came to a horrifying fact. Ground water reserves are being depleted and are not being replenished fast enough to meet demand. That means the water used to farm crops is slowly being used up in the growing regions which means less crops creating additional stress. The global farming methods needs to be rethought. Waste can be mitigated but it has to be done actively. I know humans are smart enough to solve the problem but needs to start... uh, like ten years ago!

We already have the technology to massively reduce water usage when farming. Hydroponic farming inside of closed systems uses something like 2% of the water compared to the flood methods we use. It's exensive to set up though, which is the main barrier. Using water is cheap.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join