It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-5M Lands Minus Nose Gear in Spain.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

They should be awarded a bonus for not scratching the paint too much, it could have easily ended up worse than what looked to be nothing but a casual landing (minus the nose gear)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

There are a number of crew awards handed out each year. Barring something a hell of a lot more dramatic, they receive one of them.

According to the update, after verifying the red light for the nose gear, they attempted multiple extension methods, for approximately an hour. They were able to get them down about 6 inches, and ran their emergency landing/crash checklist on the way in. After stopping, the crew assisted the 21 passengers in evacuating the aircraft.
edit on 5/23/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Not sure what else was on the aircraft but at least 21 passengers were onboard.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I'd tell everybody to go aft big time......he looked like he had counterweight......
Awesome picture, held it up till 45 knots...50 maybe huh?..
edit on 23-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2017 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I was in a Navy helicopter that lost power at about 3000 ft. We were out over the water near our base. The pilots told us to strap in because they were going to auto-rotate us in. They angled the auto-rotation so we landed right on the end of the runway near the water. As a result we hit hard totaling the aircraft, but, no one was hurt. The pilots sounded calm cool and collected over the ICS, but, once we were down and they knew that everybody was OK they lost it for a few minutes.

I'll bet the same thing happened on that C-5, training takes over and you really don't get scared until the emergency is over and you have time to think about it.

By the way, our pilot was one of the first women helicopter pilots in the Navy. I'd fly with her any time, she was that good.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

I am pretty certain that I would have crapped my pants in that situation. No power helicopter... no thanks!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Lets just say that I needed a new flight suit after it. I'm not sure about everybody else.

posted on Mar, 15 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
After two incidents of aircraft landing without the nose gear deployed occurred last year, resulting in the grounding of all 56 C-5s, a C-5M made an emergency landing today at Joint Base San Antonio. The aircraft was returning from a local flight and had 11 people on board.

www.ksat.com...

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Ooowww....

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

why not hi-pressure air mats ??

posted on Mar, 16 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

more important - could // did the crew move part of it aft to shift COG ?

if the aircraft = tail heavy - it would assist the pilots

posted on Mar, 17 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Quite possibly. It would be the most logical thing to do in said situation. Good thinking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join