It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK to become new EU powerhouse within 20 years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Some economists reasonably project that within 20 years the UK will become the largest economy in Europe even surpassing Germany, which at present has a large lead over all other EU countries despite being pumelled in WW2. There is high unemployment in Germany at the moment and the former east Germany lags behind draining economic resources from the rest of the country.
I am sure the frogs won't take kindly to this news with their ridiculous 35 hour working week and waning influence on brussels

www.britainusa.com...

[edit on 4-2-2005 by ufo3]

[edit on 4-2-2005 by ufo3]

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
The United Kingdom is the one bright spot in the EU economic morass. I just hope the British people won't let the continent drag them down.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
That prediction is for many years from now.
A lot can change in that time.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
The United Kingdom is the one bright spot in the EU economic morass. I just hope the British people won't let the continent drag them down.

Thats not a true or welcome comment. Im British and i believe this country could learn alot from some of Europe's more peacefull nations and so could you.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MERC
Im British and i believe this country could learn alot from some of Europe's more peacefull nations and so could you.

I'm also British and I believe Europe could learn alot from us
and vice versa of course

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Yeah yeah yeah, the only way is a US-style, ultra right-wing, no social provision free-market way blah blah blah.
Sorry but I heard it all before and it still hasn't happened yet.

Who's old enough to remember Thatcher and Co. making similar 'predictions' almost 20yrs ago , hmmm?

dh

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The UK looks set to be an enslaved penal colony within about five years, modulated by ID Cards and governmental intervention in just about every aspect of life, with the 600 odd new offences introduced since 1997 doubled and thousands of citizens under electronically-surveilled house arrest
The rest of the EU will follow suit

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A lot happens in 20 years. FRG was Europe's powerhouse economy and a model to the world before reunification with the GDR and this has caused a lot of problems that Germany is trying to recover from. It will take time. The UK hasnt had to deal with the problems Germany has had to in the past 15 years.

Oh and newsflash : UK is part of Europe, culturally and historically.

I remember in the 80s everyone saying that Japan would be the no1 economy and that Japan would own most of America and now it's China who's the rising economic star. Who knows what will happen and i'm sure that in 10 years time Germany will have a strong growing economy once again. Unemployment in Germany is starting to get better (300,000 jobs predicted this year I believe) and if the global economy doesn't turn for the worst analysts predict that this trend will continue.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Of course where is the wit to see that Germany (an advanced western European country of 90millions or so) will, all things being more or less equal, always generate more wealth than the UK (an advanced western European country of about 60millions or so)?

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
Of course where is the wit to see that Germany (an advanced western European country of 90millions or so) will, all things being more or less equal, always generate more wealth than the UK (an advanced western European country of about 60millions or so)?

Maybe I miss read what you put but your basically saying national wealth is population linked????

posted on Feb, 5 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Maybe I miss read what you put but your basically saying national wealth is population linked????

- Well it is when set in a context of similar levels of economic development. Germany is an advanced European economy like the UK with appox 50% more people being economically productive/active, of course that is going to benefit them in comparison.

new topics

top topics

join