It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We've lost our way.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Above Top Secret - The name itself implies that we hold information, and discuss events and ideas that are not as public as all ideas are. It's a concept that if we use our senses, intellect, intuition, instinct, observation skills, etc - We can make it through a maze of information, dissect it together, and come out on the other end learning something from said journey.

Conspiracies/Conspiracy theories and thinking outside the box are a large part of this, and these things are great! Questioning and challenging the status quo is how progress has been made many times in history, and will continue to be for as long as people are around, I believe. What is being hidden from us? What do we have to dive deeper into to learn more about? What ideas take a large amount of evidence combined with opinions, conjecture, faith? ( To fill in the gaps where evidence is tampered with, manipulated, hidden, etc ... )

Disproving a conspiracy is valuable as we can see what is not true, though supposed by some - But on the other hand, diving into topics that cannot be easily proven false is even more interesting. We now have terminology that's well accepted and used based on such theories - Such as TPTB, NWO, and the like. We, as a community, have accepted specific theories as being so valid that we've adopted them into our very language we use.

While these things are what brought many of us here, it makes me upset that it's not the main objective here on ATS anymore. We no longer care to dissect information - We no longer care to deny the trends of the common sheep, avoiding division, and encouraging discourse and theory.

A main example would be one of the more popular topics lately - Donald Trump and his "ties to Russia" - This could be an amazing conspiracy, we could discuss what is wrong or right about this theory and dig deeper down the hole - Relying more on objectively studying the situation and creating every link we possibly could - As a community - And come to do what we have done before - Generally accept the theory, and adopt it as something that's more valid, as we have other theories, or reject it, and let it fade away.

But no, this is not even close to what is happening. Nearly every post could be deemed as worthless as a rant, yet thousands of stars and flags are being given out because people claim to have the higher ground than another. CNN is holy and amazing, CNN is bad and terrible - And so are you if you listen to them! We've become so divided we can barely allow the original concept of this website to thrive. We've let ourselves become pawns of the media, and even those that are most revered here are just as entrenched in this mentality as the rest of us.

We've lost our way, fellow members.

How can we make it back?

Deadlyhope

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

As a community we can establish proper sourcing, which I thought was already accepted before the US elections last year.

Nothing wrong with sharing an anonymous source if you acknowledge it as such. Further proof, not to be confused with copying or restating the original, always helps the cause.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

"So and so did a thing, and this unnamed source said so!" Is not proof. It wouldn't stand up to the UFO crowd, nor the bigfoot crowd and it shouldn't count anywhere else.

Pushing off opinion/bias/ideals as fact is not proof.

As a side thought, I've wondered what this board would look like without stars and flags.....

edit on 22-5-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
start encouraging people to look for the stories that they are hoping we will miss while we are arguing and bickering about those hot stories that they are using to divide us?
I'm guilty of this also, it's so much easier to get caught up with those things that are blaring at me 24/7 on all the news channels... but I do think we are missing something... not sure what but I halfway wonder if we aren't g onna wake up one morning and find that we are facing a month long banker's holiday that we never thought to prepare for or something..

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Donald Trump and his "ties to Russia" - This could be an amazing conspiracy, we could discuss what is wrong or right about this theory

Isn't that exactly what's been happening here? Half think it's a conspiracy against Trump and the other thinks it's a Trump / Russia conspiracy against the US.
edit on 22-5-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

The quality of members and people we have here on ATS is unlike anything I've ever seen. It's truly a special place, but unfortunately, partisan has taken over the site and I hope it doesn't become the reason for its demise.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Please ATS members don't turn ATS into another GLP or BIN! OP's need to share valid sources, not the next door neighbor's cat. Those who reply to the OP should have something better to say than name calling or say that the story was not on CNN therefore it's not true. Come on people, think before your post. Make what you say on ATS worthwhile for others to read.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The political division exists because there is a power struggle and people feel like their very future is at stake, and because of issues like racial, nationalistic, and economic disparity; and how each side of the spectrum sort of claims certain demographics as 'their side', people become insanely divisive. That's why things seem so messed up and bias currently. I predict it will grow increasingly chaotic and cut throat.

But when it comes to conspiracies and all things weird (X-Files), ATS will continue being it's old self. You will only see that if you block out the politricking topics.

Each person can learn to create great threads on these alternative topics and I always enjoy seeing a good thread about something I've never heard of, the stranger the better.

Another point is that the more seasoned readers have heard about most of the more 'well known' stories. So their interest levels in them are not so great unless new material surfaces or new ideas arise in terms of explanation.

Be patient and don't let it get to you.
Lots of great things are in ATS's future.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Be the change that you seek.

This is a unique time in human history.

Now days conspiracy is found in lots of things.

If you find something that is interesting.

I would love a good distraction.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

Donald Trump and his "ties to Russia" - This could be an amazing conspiracy, we could discuss what is wrong or right about this theory

Isn't that exactly what's been happening here? Half think it's a conspiracy against Trump and the other thinks it's a Trump / Russia conspiracy against the US.

Many of us paid Soros posters see it only one way.

**just kidding about being paid by Soros**

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingForABetterLife
Please ATS members don't turn ATS into another GLP or BIN! OP's need to share valid sources, not the next door neighbor's cat. Those who reply to the OP should have something better to say than name calling or say that the story was not on CNN therefore it's not true. Come on people, think before your post. Make what you say on ATS worthwhile for others to read.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
That holds true here too.

The star and flag system was originally designed to aid people in achieving what you just requested, forming a type of incentive for better content. The problem is that the prevailing belief systems might not be very intelligent, and so many flags/stars will go towards unintelligent posts that they agree with.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

I think the OP is brilliant. I would like to see people spending more time on the effort of illuminating conspiracy with supporting information. But I really like your post too. Both sides right and left have their conspiracies to investigate. I really like your post and your comment.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

People keep saying that, it is a partisan problem. I think it is laws and policy problems. There is a distinct difference in the process of governing the nation between the parties. This is a almost a political civil war, so to speak.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This thread again.

ATS grew with the internet. That's what happened.

Lots of things about the internet suck compared to the good ol' days.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

People keep saying that, it is a partisan problem. I think it is laws and policy problems. There is a distinct difference in the process of governing the nation between the parties. This is a almost a political civil war, so to speak.

Which side is not following the Constitution when it comes to passing laws? I don't understand what you are think is the difference between the two parties. Can you give an example of each party's style according to your way of thinking? Thanks.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

You make a very good post. I like the points you make.

link   
Does ANYBODY understand ?

It's all because Pluto in Capricorn and, Pluto in Capricorn will be here until 2024 !!

It's all beyond YOUR control !!

link   
a reply to: MOMof3

For the most part, it is definitely a partisan problem because sometimes it has nothing to do with politics but the same people are still disagreeing with each other, for seemingly no other reason than to just disagree. I've seen this happen too often lately.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You do realize the official "media" does exactly this, right?

So is it better to source a group/entity that is doing the exact same thing you are condoning?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Might as well get used to it. ATS stands for...

A....all
T....Trump
S.... Supporters

It's great! Long live the mudpit; If I can't get my fair share of abuse here, I wouldn't even bother to log on.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Nope, each side has the facts, and there's no way the other side could ever be right.

Is the narrative that is happening now.

Not civil debate on whether a conspiracy holds water, nope.

It's more of a dog-fight at which side has the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join