It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mobius Megatar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hello friends and fellow music geeks!

I was inspired by Zosimovs Thread (can be found here www.abovetopsecret.com...) to tell you all about an instrument that is not well known, and is a total mind F*ck for those who have never seen it. I'v had the pleasure of being good friends and regular "jammers" with one of the players in the followings videos, and been able to play the Megatar myself (not a common thing, if you know this fellow...)
It's an amazing instrument, and something that would take even the most skillled guitar player years to even get a grip on...

Bare with me because i am terrible at making threads...

For starts, What the heck is a Megatar? Well, According to Wikipedia.. "The Megatar is a stringed musical instrument designed to be played with two-handed tapping. It is manufactured by the U.S. company 'Mobius Megatar'"

They go on further to describe it as

The Megatar is a fretted instrument with 12 strings, divided in two sections of six, where one set of strings is for bass and the other for melody. Both sides are normally tuned in fourths intervals. Other tunings and setups are common. The scale length is similar to an electric bass guitar. It uses electronic pickups that should be connected to an amplifier to produce sound. The instruments have two embedded, dual-action truss rods and a stereo 1/4" output. The Megatars are usually made with bolt-on necks. However, from 2007 all new instruments are exclusively "neck-through". All models are either built from light-colored maple and alder or premium dark woods like mahogany, sapele, wenge and rosewood.

Also, I'll let this fellow explain a bit more...

So there it is.

Mr. Gonzales is pretty good, but lets look at some other players...

So those are some of my favorite Vids.. I'm sure there are "better" and more famous players out there, but not many.

Hope you guys enjoyed the vids, and learned something new.

Lets get the Music Forum bumping....

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Didn't that instrument used to be called the Chapman stick, or is that something else?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Hey, this is a great thread! Keep them coming!

I'm checking out the megatar right now as we speak. Visually, it is a beast of an instrument.

Frankenstein is a great start-- what a jam!!!!

Thanks for sharing sj

edit on 22-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hi, had to come back on here after hearing Song for Sade-- and now I have a favorite new song.

I love the Celtic feel to this song.

I'm a big fan of all the songs you posted.

It speaks to the instrument's versitility when it sounds great in several different genres. Deep, visceral sound.

edit on 22-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It's very similar to the Stick, but differnt and probbaly most importantly made by a different company.

Also similar to a WARR guitar.

a reply to: olaru12

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks glad you enjoyed them.

There are so many cool instruments out there that many don't know about because they really aren't part of the pop music format.

Some acts, King Crimson for one, almost get there.

Here's a video of a band called "StickMen"
Featuring former King Crimson members...
youtu.be...

Sorry can't embed right meow.

a reply to: zosimov

top topics

join