It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is cultural appropriation really a thing?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

I also mentioned Sadhus.
I dare say if you go back far enough, we probably all had dreads.
I was just trying to give a couple of examples that would be recognisable today.
I've seen dogs and even cats that have been left to get natural dreads.
My ridiculous statement was mainly directed to those who have dreads as a fashion.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

originally posted by: Ohanka
Nope. Just another made up thing by the racists who have usurped the modern left to rail on the white man.

I see it as less of a conspiracy and more of just a way for weak people to feel like they have some kind of power.

What power came out of people complaining about this student?
Black face strudent- "feels good to be a n*"

Being angry feels good, makes you feel strong. So yeah being angry at some nobody doing something stupid, even something that doesn't harm anyone in any physical way, makes people feel powerful.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Food well cooked or prepared from anywhere around the world is tried as far as I am concerned and believe me when I say I will try anything...

From an open minded member.

Warmest

Lags
edit on 22-5-2017 by Lagomorphe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
okay, real quick and simple;

yes, cultural appropriation is a thing. real good example is your rich white girl wearing a headdress at coachella, taking an important and revered item a culture takes seriously and playing dressups with it - no *actual* harm comes of it, but it's incredibly disrespectful, and it perpetuates the notion that non-western cultures are a frivolous thing to put on and discard at will.

cafeteria sushi is not an example of this, nor are restaurants or other cultural exchanges.
the main difference is agency.
in actual cultural exchange, you're being invited in. the practice or clothing or what have you is being shared with you and you'll be taught about appropriate context and respect with it.
it might seem like a small difference but it's kinda important?

other important thing to remember is that a lot of outrageous statements like this come from teenagers on tumblr.
they... mean well, ostensibly, but they're caught up in a huge, ongoing conversation, and there's not a lot of room for nuance in the teenage brain.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

yes, cultural appropriation is a thing. real good example is your rich white girl wearing a headdress at coachella, taking an important and revered item a culture takes seriously and playing dressups with it - no *actual* harm comes of it, but it's incredibly disrespectful, and it perpetuates the notion that non-western cultures are a frivolous thing to put on and discard at will.

cafeteria sushi is not an example of this, nor are restaurants or other cultural exchanges.
in actual cultural exchange, you're being invited in. the practice or clothing or what have you is being shared with you and you'll be taught about appropriate context and respect with it.

other important thing to remember is that a lot of outrageous statements like this come from teenagers on tumblr.
they... mean well, ostensibly, but they're caught up in a huge, ongoing conversation, and there's not a lot of room for nuance in the teenage brain.

So what do you like then continuousThunder?

Care to share your thoughts about what makes you dribble and drool food wise when it comes to culture?

Thankk you

Warmest

Lags

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: continuousThunder

While a clearly a "thing" I feel that it has been overused to the point it has almost lost all meaning.
This is the postmodernist age.
Decontextualised, ambiguous, paradoxical, surreal.
Nothing is absolutely “this” or “that” anymore.
Anything can mean anything or nothing.
Context is so key to the actual appropriating, A headress at Coachella by a vapid teenager, probably yes. But If she actually knows about the culture, wears one that is authentic to a tribe (not a halloween costume, each time the chief, warrior, or other important tribe member committed a brave act, a feather was added)... some how I think she'd never complete one LMAO I really honestly do not see the harm. Is this not a free country? When do you get to stop the angry mob from forcing your hand?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: User1138

Its a joke.
Native Americans invented shampoo.

If the white boy can't have dreads,
Then you can't wash your hair.
Oh and no more PB&J.

Oh and Black's can't have dreads either. Most have 0 % egyptiom and the Ashkenazi Jews only have a right to Dreads.

If you want me to go on I can, but I think we can all agree that if we cant have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that's good enough for a civil war.

Oh yeah, Black's can't eat at McDonalds anymore, or drink Malt liquor, or use white american brand name products, or live in Victorian architecture homes.

But my people invented shampoo. Please visit the nearest reservation and turn in your hair products.

Oh yeah, whites, blacks, and Hispanics can no longer have PANCAKES!
Egyptian Invention.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the goal of all humans should be to take the things that work well for or in other cultures and countries and implement them for themselves.

Why wouldn't you?

As part of my career, I teach martial arts. It has a huge Chinese and Japanese influence. However, I'd be a fool not to implement some of the great Brazilian, Filipino, Thai, Myanmar, and indonesian things I have learned. Or had some of the new great MMA drills and training methods and some of the great wrestling conditioning drills and boxing techniques.

So I ad it all. I appropriate it. It's cultural appropriation for the greater good of mankind!

Except, maybe it's not really appropriation. I am taking other techniques and adding them to my own, even though I'll give credit where credit is due. I don't teach wrestling, but I will tell people that double leg takedown I just taught you is a textbook wrestling move. I took that knife defense and it's part of my curriculum now, but I will say it came from indonesia.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutisticEvo
a reply to: User1138

Its a joke.
Native Americans invented shampoo.

If the white boy can't have dreads,
Then you can't wash your hair.
Oh and no more PB&J.

Oh and Black's can't have dreads either. Most have 0 % egyptiom and the Ashkenazi Jews only have a right to Dreads.

If you want me to go on I can, but I think we can all agree that if we cant have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that's good enough for a civil war.

Oh yeah, Black's can't eat at McDonalds anymore, or drink Malt liquor, or use white american brand name products, or live in Victorian architecture homes.

But my people invented shampoo. Please visit the nearest reservation and turn in your hair products.

Oh yeah, whites, blacks, and Hispanics can no longer have PANCAKES!
Egyptian Invention.

Kinda funny how Native Americans invented something that Actual Indians (From India) are credited with inventing (Shampoo being an Anglicised version of the Hindi word for a head massage).

Anyway, I just appropriated an Italian Pizza and washed it down with some German Pilsner and now I am smoking tobacco. So I am on a damned roll right now!
edit on 03pMon, 22 May 2017 17:27:03 -050020172017-05-22T17:27:03-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: more spelling

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   
So, many of you are in agreement of the hypocrisy of the left in claiming it a "thing" but don't belive this same logic propels many of their arguments? I mean I know it varies case to case, but their logic on this topic is similar across the board.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join