It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you have a pool? can i ask you a few questions?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
so i am thinking about buying one of those cheapo pools from wal mart for the summer. i talked to a guy at work and he said they are very easy to set up and once theyre up they do not take much work to keep them maintained...
so first question would be is that true?

i am thinking about the snap frame or the quick set style. my daughter is only 5 so i dont need something crazy deep. just enough for her to have fun with us and for me to sink into after work.

the quick set style

www.walmart.com...

and the snap style

www.walmart.com...

i dont need something that will last forever. honestly if all i get is this season out of it i will be happy.
of course the quick set looks easier...
what i am concerned with is the ground...
my yard is not flat but it is not sloped either....bumpy i guess.

i thought i would have to get a tiller and dig the # up and then level it out....sounds like a lot of work.

dude at work said just cut the grass real low. rake that area so no rocks or sticks are there and throw down a few bags of play sand and that will do the trick for the bottom.

does that sound right to you?

i appreciate any feedback you can give me.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Dude at work is fibbing to you. Clear the ground, level it and put down sand.

Ours dumped itself like three times before we gave up and had to do it the proper way. Skimming I considered a pain cause every bug under the sun would be in it every AM however the screaming from bug phobic kids was worse. Ours was up about two months before we gave it to another relative (sucker) and went back to going to the lake on weekends.

Some people are cut out for testing water PH and maintaining them, we found it more work than it was worth in enjoyment. YMMV

Forgot to add we had the balloon looking one, not the snap-set.

edit on 21-5-2017 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Some tar paper underneath is a better choice from a construction supply store for the underlay on top of the cut grass. Also call your local fire department regular or volunteer and they will be happy to fill it up for you.(your daughter may enjoy seeing the fire truck as well)

As the pools go? Longer term; Summer Waves. Shorter term; Summer Escape.

Make sure to get some very strong SPF sunblock maybe a small cheap door alarm that leads to the pool for safety(if she is old enough to open and close doors and climb the ladder herself(to prevent drowning))

Most of all?

Have a great summer!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

thats what i was worried about

dude say cut and rake then throw down sand.

he said if i keep it covered it does not take much work and every few days he throws in a chlorine tab.

made it sound real easy

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Talk to more people...the filters with those have issues with being undersized. A cover you'll need definitely. The filter pumps are pretty much junk. Insanely we got a bigger one thinking we'd want to keep messing with the whole deal.

Just cause we pussed out doesn't mean without some planning that you should. We eventually got a large blow up one for times scampering off to the lake was impossible. It wasn't ideal but much less hassle for our circumstances.

Those times I just used the water to take care of the gardens and chalked up the expense to "you only have littles once".
Grins!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Just get one of those blow up pools. They come in different sizes and some can even fit a couple of adults in it. Easy as hell and easy to maintain. They are also cheap as hell.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

CHEAP-GOOD-FAST... you can only pick 2 of the 3 when buying goods. Don't expect GOOD if you are shopping for CHEAP & FAST... it will rarely meet expectations if one expects the 3rd option to fall in line with the decision too.

You already said it yourself... you are looking for something CHEAP & FAST. In that regard, asking our opinions on it here is doing nothing but cutting a day in the pool out before the weather turns.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

We had a quick, fast and cheap blow up pool that lasted for years when my Niece lived here. We had a big one for her Son and we would get to sit and lounge in it too. When no one was home, I would sit by myself, lay my head back on the edge, or sit there reading a book.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I have had an in-ground pool for over 30 years, and though it gave my children a lot of good times in their youth, if I had to do it all over again, I would not have gotten a pool.

For the above the ground pools, all I can share is the tiny information I got from my neighbor that had one. Her spouse placed a lot of time and effort in putting up that pool, and it seems to me he spent more time and money maintaining that pool than I did on my in-ground pool. But Mike is the handyman type, and he can be a bit anal about any job he performs.

Either way. I agree with Caver78. A nice lake or pond would be my choice this go around.
edit on 21-5-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
2nd the cheap blow-up type.

Above ground are nothing but a headache.

Sub-par equipment trying to run corrosive chemicals is a disaster, leaking liners suck, shallow pools will green fast because of their depth, and heat up too fast.

If you do get one, make sure its level, the frames work by taking even pressure, it can collapse on a hill.
And pick up a floating chlorinator and 3" chlorine tablets, to kill off bacteria and algae.

Also, if possible, watch the shadows throughout the day so you can get it partially shaded, it will make the water stay cool.

One and done on pool ownership here. Non stop maintenance weekend takers.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Mow the area real short-get a trailer full of sand, a 16' straight 2x4, a 3' level and a tamper.

Dump sand- move sand around to eyeball level and work with the 2x4. Onece you get it close tamp the sand and move sand to the areas that look shallow.

Get it level or you will have a water over flowing on one side and 12" below the top of the pool wall on the other.

Do the prep work.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have done the small inflatable for the last four years, the maintenance is alot of work and to do it right will cost well over 100$. The filter pumps are way to small and have to change filter every other day. If you go on a vacation or are away for too long it is very difficult to get ph level right again. I also had an uneven surface so I used bags of mulch to reinforce and displace water back to the highside seemed to work pretty well. This year i'm going to get an inflatable water park so I can just fill it up for the weekend and take it down when i'm done.
Banzai Slide and Soak Splash park
Maybe not this exact model but something similar.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
thanks all. im thinking im going to pass.

i wanted to put that bitch up and throw some tablets in and swim.
i dont want to be changing filters every other day and have to worry about Ph levels.

i was stupid i guess and thought it would be like no big deal.
put it up. add some #. swim

thats what i want

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It really isn't that big of deal. Being an owner of several pools, including a 16 ft x 32 ft pool, it takes a little prep and monitoring the pool.

Those blow up pools with a filter are ok. Just once you fill it up, get your ph levels right that the cloride levels should stay fairly constant with an occasional shock treatment.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

They do sell a saltwater chlorinator that makes things easy-but it is another $200.

And I would also get a sand pump-another $200+.

Now the pool with the steel frame can be left up all year even in michigan. But if you have visions of doing 1/2 gainers into a crystal clear pool, it will be close to $600-700 for the super duper equipment.

Look on craigs list for some others who have given up and put together a great pool for cheap.
edit on 21-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

the advice given so far is good. Yes, this pool, will likely only last the season. But put it in right, and keep up with the chemicals. Find a pool supply store and get your supplies from them. If you do that, they can usually test your water and help you keep things just right. You will need a chlorination system and also need to change the paper filters every few weeks. It's not a no maintenance thing, but it's a cheap way to enjoy a pool for the summer. We did it years ago and it was exactly what we needed at the time.

Good luck.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

You don't need a filter for the blow up pools. I forget what chemical we added to the water, but a little skimming and that's it. Ours had a top and bottom plug. If you wanted to, you could empty the pool out easily enough by unplugging the bottom plug and add all fresh water. Hardly cost anything to maintain.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Night Star, did the chemicals kill your grass?

My neighbor here in the country made a little patio with pavers partially around the pool. He didn't want grass anywhere near it so it was okay for him.

edit on 21-5-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
you need to put a lot of sand under an above ground pool because if you don`t the weight of the water will compress the soil under it and cause the liner to stretch and rip.
a gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds, if you figure how many gallons of water the pool holds multiplied by 8 pounds you can then figure out how many pounds per square inch is being applied to the soil under the pool and you can see why the soil will be compacted and sink.

my parents had one of those big above ground pools for many years but they finally got rid of it because the little bit of time that they actually used it wasn`t worth all the time and money it took to maintain it every year.

edit on 21-5-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: Night Star
Night Star, did the chemicals kill your grass?

My neighbor here in the country made a little patio with pavers partially around the pool. He didn't want grass anywhere near it so it was okay for him.

Having the pool there killed the grass. LOL

The backyard didn't have the best lawn in the world to begin with. As long as we had our lovely garden all around the rest of the yard, we were good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join