It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump to Address the Muslim World

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Most of us are well aware that Trump has had nothing but negative things to say about Islam since before he decided to become a politician. He's called for a complete ban on Muslims entering the US as a candidate and has been battling the courts for a partial ban from certain countries as POTUS. Trump has claimed that Islam hates us and ran a good part of his campaign, playing to fear and hatred of all things Islam.

Some partial transcripts of Trumps speech have been released (haven't found text of them yet) and to me, so far... it seems like a really good speech. One line that stuck out was about how acts of radicalism falsely invoke God and don't represent any faith, something I've always believed and stated.

Overall the speech seems like it might be a much, much softer position on Islam than he has ever displayed before and I really hope that fleshes out because he has the power to sway the minds of his supporters.

I do have to wonder though, if he will stay on script...

+30 more 
posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Why do you people always try to play the musim ban card? It was proven time and time again that the travel ban wasn't just only for muslims. Quit lying ffs. The countries with the highest muslim population weren't even included. After the whole fake outrage over the travel ban it took me 5 seconds too research its validity and low and behold the media told the public another lie to rile them up against Trump. Quit spreading this BS.

edit on 21-5-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I found some excerpts of the speech.

“This is not a battle between different faiths, different sects, or different civilizations. This is a battle between barbaric criminals who seek to obliterate human life, and decent people of all religions who seek to protect it,” Trump will say. “This is a battle between good and evil.”

“But we can only overcome this evil if the forces of good are united and strong -- and if everyone in this room does their fair share and fulfills their part of the burden. Terrorism has spread across the world. But the path to peace begins right here, on this ancient soil, in this sacred land,”

I think that part is, in the least, naive. The Muslim world, being the most affected by Islamic extremism and terror does actively fight. They are on the front line.

"Every time a terrorist murders an innocent person, and falsely invokes the name of God, it should be an insult to every person of faith.”

That's the line I referred to in my OP. If people could really mentally digest that concept across the world, we may stop looking at each other so suspiciously.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It's nice to see you look at his words objectively. You should know by now that Trump goes in hard and then softens the blow.

Star and flag Kali.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

Wipe the snot from your nose.

Legally it has been interpreted as I've stated, that's not a lie. You need to learn that disagreeing with someone doesn't them a liar.

I started this thread open minded about the speech Trump is about to deliver, are you capable of putting on your big boy panties and participating?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I guess it was part of the weapon deal he made with the saudies..

+6 more 
posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I agree with Perfectenemy though. You are wrong about the complete Muslim ban.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy

Why do you people always try to play the musim ban card? It was proven time and time again that the travel ban wasn't just only for muslims. Quit lying ffs. The countries with the highest muslim population weren't even included. After the whole fake outrage over the travel ban it took me 5 seconds too research its validity and low and behold the media told the public another lie to rile them up against Trump. Quit spreading this BS.

edit on 21-5-2017 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Not many people would go to Saudi Arabia to speak to the Arab world about terrorism. He's attempting to unite 3 world religions in a common goal. We have Arab leaders saying Trump can pull off the impossible. So we may be looking at a historic moment.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

If he's truly willing to soften on Islam, I think it could do a lot of good and that would make it a lot easier for me to tolerate other aspects of his agenda.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

He did call for a complete Muslim ban during his campaign. His EO was a partial ban from certain countries.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Does anyone know what time he’s scheduled to speak, and whether there will be TV coverage?

I can’t seem to find that out anywhere.

It was supposed to be at lunch today. It’s 4:18pm in Riyadh as I post. Bit of a late lunch.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I hope it goes better than Obamas Cairo initiative where he promised America would no longer intervene in Arab affairs…
Within a year the entire region was de-stabilized and the country in which he gave the address, Egypt, was overthrown by radical sect of Islam…

So short of Trump causing revolution, it should go swimmingly when compared to Obamas.

-Chris

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

I just hope he doesn't say anything stupid.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Overall the speech seems like it might be a much, much softer position on Islam than he has ever displayed before

Do you honestly think he would go to the Middle East and give a speech where he rails on the evils of Islam like he's done when he's at home among his die-hard Islam-hating supporters rallying in front of him?

Even I don't think he's that dumb; and whoever wrote the speech likely knows since he's in their house, he needs to be very careful with his rhetoric.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I have to agree with you. I'm guessing they really tightened up their neutral language in those transcripts, demonize the bad guys, the rest of the world wins.

Not touching the muslim ban issue.

Good thread, S+F.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

No and obviously he didn't write any part of that speech but I'm interested in the effect it has at home.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

My only question is:

Will he make it back ?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Does anyone know what time he’s scheduled to speak, and whether there will be TV coverage?

I can’t seem to find that out anywhere.

It was supposed to be at lunch today. It’s 4:18pm in Riyadh as I post. Bit of a late lunch.

I'm watching CNN, that's the only network I could find and I think it's about to start. Maybe al jazeera?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I think it should be mentioned that Trumps stance was never the racism that plenty of folks seem to shout from the rooftops. It was about putting a halt to terrorism and in turn possibly saving lives.

He has come a long way since his campaign days and I can imagine learned more than any of us will know. Perhaps he's found a better way forward given the vast amounts of intel received.

He was treated with a large amount of respect and that is a good thing. Leaders know how and when to approach a situation, in this case, one from strength as the weapons deal would clearly indicate, however I may have a few qualms with that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join