It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Mountain, Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
On the way from Atlanta to Chattanooga on the interstate you come to Fort Mountain State Park. Inside the park is an 885 foot long stone wall that nobody knows how old it is or who built it. The Cherokee who inhabited the area said that the wall predates them. One would think a stone wall of this size at the top of a mountain could be a last stand type situation for someone but any capable military engineer will tell you that it is built at the wrong place for that. In other words it is not built on the "military crest" of the mountain. My first thread! I wish I could figure out how to post pics. If any of you could post some to get the discussion going I would appreciate it.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: The3murph
You have to first save the pic to your ats account.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Wrong... Little white arrow pointing down>uploads>browse your computer for the pict>upload>click photo and up will be three choices... Pick one for avatar or to put into a thread.

Direction on how to post, links and pics are in ATS in Freshman and Board Forums...
edit on 21-5-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Nice, sounds interesting. I drive through there all the time, I am going to check it out

To upload pics...
just click the check mark at the top of the page on the right, select upload, use the upload function there.
once it shows on your uploads, open it and select the "BBcode for use in post:" and copy it, then paste it right in you r response, click preview to see preview before posting to see if it transferred properly

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
thanks, I've been wondering how to do the pic stuff!!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Very interesting. I wonder what it was built for.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime

Very interesting. I wonder what it was built for.

Nobody knows when or by whom it was built. The Prince Madoc folks tried to co-opt the site like they did with Mobile Bay but their claims have been debunked. As I stated in the OP the Cherokee say that the wall was there when they arrived but have a legend of "The Moon Eyed People" who could not see well in daytime whom they exterminated.

all-that-is-interesting.com...

Deep in the woods of North Carolina once lived a group of occupants mysterious to the indigenous peoples who made contact with them. A small, pale, nocturnal race found in Cherokee tradition, the so-called “Moon-Eyed” people of the Appalachian mountains remain a legend in the area, and one that still drives researchers to learn just who these people may have been.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There is already a precedent for ancient stone structures (cairns, walls, stone mounds, etc) in the US, and particularly in the eastern portion of the US. I see no reason why this particular structure should be any different. Most archaeologists believe cairns such as this were probably ceremonial in nature. Here is an easy to read source on the matter www.stonestructures.org...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JJRichey
There is already a precedent for ancient stone structures (cairns, walls, stone mounds, etc) in the US, and particularly in the eastern portion of the US. I see no reason why this particular structure should be any different. Most archaeologists believe cairns such as this were probably ceremonial in nature. Here is an easy to read source on the matter www.stonestructures.org...

The Cherokee say they didn't build it. They say that it predates their arrival. These were not built by the Cherokee. If they were why would they deny it?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: The3murph

The Cherokee say they didn't build it. They say that it predates their arrival. These were not built by the Cherokee. If they were why would they deny it?

However, there was an older Mound Building culture centered on Cahokia. This might link with them. With time and some money (or a state organization like we have here in Texas) and with permission, digs might be carried out on the site that would answer things. For example, the Texas Archaeological Society does public digs (anyone who pays the fee can come) on state owned lands (such as forts and parks.)

...unless the site has been disturbed by plowing and other activities. Then it's more of a problem.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

originally posted by: The3murph

However, there was an older Mound Building culture centered on Cahokia. This might link with them. With time and some money (or a state organization like we have here in Texas) and with permission, digs might be carried out on the site that would answer things. For example, the Texas Archaeological Society does public digs (anyone who pays the fee can come) on state owned lands (such as forts and parks.)

...unless the site has been disturbed by plowing and other activities. Then it's more of a problem.

Illinois is a LONG way from the mountains of Georgia. I think Fort Mountain is FAR older. With all the study this place has gotten not one artifact has been found that supports your position or any other for that matter.

top topics

join