It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Journalists Drink Too Much, Are Dumber Than Average, Study Finds

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Hmmm... for some reason this doesn't surprise me. Now we have a scientific study to back-up our opinions and suspicions.

www.taraswart.com...

www.zerohedge.com...

A recent scientific study just proved something that viewers of CNN have probably suspected for years: Journalists' brains function at a lower level than the rest of the population.

A study conducted by neuroscientist Tara Swift and the London Press Club determined that "the highest functions of journalists brains were operating at a lower level than the average population, due to dehydration, self-medicating, and fueling their brains with caffeine and high-sugar foods"

Journalists' brains show a lower level of executive function - that is, the ability of the brain to regulate emotions, suppress biases, switch between tasks, solve complex problems and think flexibly and creatively - than the average person

"However, the pressures of the job are not affecting journalists ability to endure and bounce back from adversity in the long term, due to a belief that their work has meaning,"

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I read this article the other day and just for clarification purposes their study was "composed," based off of thirty-one journalists.

I'm no mathematician, but I'm not too positive if thirty-one people can adequately represent each and every individual journalist/reporter (i.e. Ben Swann is a good example).

However, when comparing this study to "journalists," on the mainstream media - well, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

"News anchors," and the talking heads on ALL mainstream media (including the beloved Fox News) are paid actors. They're not reporters, they're actors.

Realize this and it becomes abundantly clear. Not only are they actors, some are former intelligence operatives (Anderson Cooper) who are very well-versed in the processes of neurolinguistic programming and how to evoke certain emotion reactions through the use of buzzwords and body language.

I regularly read gaming news (I'm a huge gamer) and there is incredibly journalism that comes out of that. Sports, as well.

But when it comes to the mainstream media, their "reporters?"

Well, they're actors, not journalists.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Point taken.

I agree that this describes the 'mainstream' journalists very well.

Not all journalists though, because like you said, in terms of sports or gaming or other subcategories we do have some really good journalism going on.

I wonder who the "average population" they are referring to is though?
Because if you asked me, I'd say the average population acts about the same as the journalists whom the study is based on.

In the end I'd have to say the study and the journalist's report on it are both bogus, as the study and the report suggest.
*Hahah yes I did just do that*

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

As someone with that pedigree, I can assure you that drinking excessively helps in making up stories.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I picked the wrong profession.

I drink tons and im not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I wouldve been great drunk on tv spewing a bunch of bs to the world.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Real journalists aren't on TV.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
I read this article the other day and just for clarification purposes their study was "composed," based off of thirty-one journalists.

I'm no mathematician, but I'm not too positive if thirty-one people can adequately represent each and every individual journalist/reporter (i.e. Ben Swann is a good example).

However, when comparing this study to "journalists," on the mainstream media - well, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

"News anchors," and the talking heads on ALL mainstream media (including the beloved Fox News) are paid actors. They're not reporters, they're actors.

Realize this and it becomes abundantly clear. Not only are they actors, some are former intelligence operatives (Anderson Cooper) who are very well-versed in the processes of neurolinguistic programming and how to evoke certain emotion reactions through the use of buzzwords and body language.

I regularly read gaming news (I'm a huge gamer) and there is incredibly journalism that comes out of that. Sports, as well.

But when it comes to the mainstream media, their "reporters?"

Well, they're actors, not journalists.

Those thirty one journalists were the best they had.
They thought they were going to be better than regular people, so they volunteered for the study. Woops.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash
I wonder who the "average population" they are referring to is though?

I suppose they are the people used in the other tests performed by the same doctor in groups of "bankers, traders, telecoms and sales executives".

PS: people should remember the reason for the results, too much alcohol, sugar and caffeine, so I'm sure many ATS members would get similar results.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Haha! I was a journalism major in college (a VERY long time ago), and was advised to switch to English Lit because I was too "wordy". Maybe had I stuck with it I could've been a better fiction writer! I do have the caffeine addiction down pat. Would've had the drinking part down when I was younger.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

I don't watch tv except netflix and other streaming media. I hate watching news of any type from cable, national, and local. If I'm with somebody and a newscast is on I always remind myself that I am just watching actors who are acting as authority figures.

Everything in the presentation is scripted what perception is presented is decided beforehand.
We live in a world where great things are happening simultaneously but media feeds on fear and controversy it can be summed up in the saying "if it bleeds it leads."

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I read the thread title and immediately thought, "Holy ####, I'm a journalist!"

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
Real journalists aren't on TV.

Is that because real journalist end up dead like Michael Hastings?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I doubt that journalist are any more or less intelligent than your average citizen or average ATS poster.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   
It's a high paced, often stressful position, no surprise there's use of caffeine, etc. Also, seems to me the study needs to be more extensive. Also, what group of journalists did they use, MSM?

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Also, what group of journalists did they use, MSM?

They don't say, but you can read more on the full report.

top topics

join