It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Culture War: Get Out Of The Way White Cis Man- American Mathematical Society Article

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have two words for the proposal of that article:
Mental illness

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
She must be a poor mathematician to have to resort to invoking the race card.

Too bad she can't just stand on her own merits.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
2 + 2 = Hate.

Lib-Math is great!!

Any answer to any question is correct, as long as it follows the party line that is.

How far is the Earth from the Sun? The answer is White Guilt.

Correct! Gold star for me!!!

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
She must be a poor mathematician to have to resort to invoking the race card.

Too bad she can't just stand on her own merits.

Precious little snowflake. Got into university because of affirmative action. Now has to compete at grandmaster level competition.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
I really am surprised that mybfellow white men seem to not believe we have any privilege in this society.

Ignoring the fact the whole idea of a "white male" is dumb because we all have complex family trees, I will grant you that "white males" in general do have it better in certain regards... but it's not that simple because minorities often have many privileges too and they have all the same opportunities when you get down to it. In Australia our main "black" community is the aboriginals, and it's quite obvious they have a hard time getting a good education and getting a good job.

But if you actually look it, they receive a great deal of benefits that no one else receives to help them get a good education. I believe all school costs are paid for by the government, they have access to scholarship programs that no one else has access to, and a range of other programs to help them achieve success in life. Yet it's still pretty clear these people represent a less educated and less wealthy sector of society, just by looking at the areas they live in.

The same thing occurs in the U.S., where you have poorer predominately black communities in certain areas. So why is it that they still live in this state if they're given every possible chance to succeed? If you're well educated and well groomed it doesn't really matter what race you are these days, people will hire you if you do the job well. So we cannot conclude no one will hire them because all the business owners are racist rich white guys, that is completely baseless.

Nor is the reason because all black people are stupid and unmotivated. The reason is simple psychology and human tendencies. If you grow up in a poor area with "gangster" friends and the only life style you know is one of hardship then it's very hard to escape and the cycle is perpetuated. You form a world view where you're the forgotten and abused, the discriminated and hated, and everyone with a better standard of living is the over-privileged oppressor.

These sectors of society cannot be so easily erased, throwing money at the problem is not always going to solve the issue if the issue is one of human psychology. You can give a poor man a million dollars but it wont change his life if he lacks ambition and just spends it all on drugs and gambling because that's the life he's always known. If a person wants to succeed in this modern age it doesn't matter what their skin color is, if they have the ambition it will happen.
edit on 20/5/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

These SJW's don't believe or want "equal opportunity". They want "equal or better results".

Opportunity, merit, and skill is irrelevant.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Can't we simply start the first math class in school by saying, "If you have a recipe that calls for three eggs, and you only have two, do your look for a recipe that uses only two eggs or do you ask the neighbor lady for an egg?"

That method of teaching math to females would surely be an effective way to proceed.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

What do they have masters degrees in, or where did they study?

Because all of the non-white women I know with advanced degrees in Medicine, Chemistry, Economics or Finance or Translation from reputable Universities have no problem finding jobs. A Masters in some dodgy Sociology discipline or the University of Arizona online, yeah, I could see why they'd be limited in their options.
edit on 20-5-2017 by Annagramma because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

The point is to look in the mirror and be grateful for your privileges and keep them in mind when making d escisions for others.

I normally can't be bothered to respond to stupid # like this but for some reason this one got to me. You can kindly go get #ed. I'm #ing sick of hearing about all this #ing privilege I'm supposed to have. I've worked my ass off for every #ing scrap of everything I have. I don't have the most glamorous job but I worked my ass off to get it and I work harder than every lazy mother #er they've hired and fired at my shop. I deserve my job because I work hard not because of some #ing privilege. Maybe if other people worked hard they could have good jobs. But from what I can tell most young people are just a bunch of lazy whiny little #s who expect to do nothing and get everything. I can count on one hand the people I've worked with who deserved the jobs they had. So please kindly do go # yourself amd your talk of privilege. The only privilege I have is being motivated enough to understand if I want anything better than # I have to work for it not sit around crying like a little bitch about privilege. # privilege. If someones more #ing privileged than me I see it as a challenge to be better than them despite their supposed privilege.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
i wouldn't use their terminology, it makes indoctrination into this way of thinking easier.

this type of thinking creates tribes.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   
This is a joke. Minority groups are presented fairly, or more than fairly, in the work force. That's what affirmative action was. Sorry, you already took everything we have, there's nothing left to give.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I think this guy is an extremist, white people need to work, too. People shouldn't be fired just because they are straight and white. It is a worse idea than hiring people just because they are black or a woman.

I like affirmative action, but I wouldn't go a step farther than that. This article makes it seem like a cis, white male shouldn't have a job. That's the wrong focus.
edit on 21amSun, 21 May 2017 02:46:46 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Statistically speaking white cis people are the majority .. and as such should have the majority of jobs.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: Antipathy17

I grew up in inner city philly .

should have moved to bel air

Love the comment.

I've been in that school yard where those guys who were up to no good and started makin trouble in my neighborhood.

Not much to see.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I grew up in inner city philly .

should have moved to bel air

Love the comment.

I've been in that school yard where those guys who were up to no good and started makin trouble in my neighborhood.

Not much to see.

i know right?
i got in 1 little fight and my mom got scared

told me i had to move in with my uncle

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Fantastic post. Thanks for the information.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Ugh as a white cis American male let me say this to all the other white did American males.

If you get angry at this article and let it throw you off nalance.. you are part of the problem.

Clearly this article is more artistic than it is an actual declaration. It is more expression than anything and I support it.

The point Is, not to quit your job, etc.

The point is to look in the mirror and be grateful for your privileges and keep them in mind when making d escisions for others.

Use your power for the greater good.
Ugh no, just no. I've worked in anti poverty, community development orgs for a decade. 90% of the people involved are liberal. In these organizations, the claimed loss of opportunity is the opposite. They overcompensate and it's actually hard now days as a younger white male professional to get a good position if they can find anybody not from that category.

I'm way overqualified for my current position, and on a regular basis much younger, less experienced,
objectively less qualified women and people of color are being put on the fast track. Note I'm not saying that all such promotions or hires are under qualified. Seeing the individual, organizational, and ultimately organization mission problems that arise from this is one wake up call I have had about how identity politics has gone overboard.
edit on 21-5-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

White people don't have social privileges that elevate them at the expense of others.

A social class is a group of people demarcated from other groups by law. The privileged classes use laws that benefit them at the expense of other classes, i.e., group A is allowed to engage in behaviors that group B would be punished for.

No such laws exist in the US that benefit white people at the expense of minority groups.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   

I hope you're trolling

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
So OP, before you started foaming at the mouth, you do realize that is entirely an opinion piece right?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join