It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alex Jones apologizes, retracts false stories as part of settlement agreement with Chobani

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
The guys a scumbag. He makes a living off fear mongering and drama. He'll say anything to appeal to ratings and his audience. How many false stories and hoaxes has Alex pushed over the last few years? How many times are his supporters going to give him a pass?

Right-wing radio host Alex Jones apologized and retracted false stories about yogurt company Chobani and some of its refugee workers on Wednesday. That was after the radio host had previously said some Chobani employees' children raped a 5-year-old girl in Twin Falls, Idaho.

The on-air apology was part of a defamation lawsuit settlement Jones and Chobani agreed to. He said, "On behalf of Infowars, I regret that we mischaracterized Chobani, its employees, and the people of Twin Falls, Idaho the way we did."

www.aol.com...

It's one thing to post a one off hoax and fess up to it, it's another thing that you do it over and over again and never learn. This is a business that Alex was falsely attacking with employees that make a living, have families, have lives. How many lives has Alex ruined with his BS? From Pizzagate, Charlie Sheen and now this. Constant BS and he'll continue on so long as his brain dead viewers continue to to tune in.

What if he wasn't sued? Huh? He would've continued this nonsense.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It will quite literally be the first time I've ever heard any right winger admit he was wrong about anything!

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yes. It wasn't a free apology though. It was under threat of being sued for millions plus he settled.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

He makes a living off fear mongering and drama.

So does Al Gore.

OT.

I doubt Alex Jones will learn anything from this.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Alex Jones claimed in court under oath both that he was "entertainment only, playing a character" then also claimed "over 90% of what we say is real news".

Obviously, no, it isn't

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You mean Alex Jones is a fraud?

All those years waiting for #ing martial law were wasted?

Say it an't so Fat Al.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
It will quite literally be the first time I've ever heard any right winger admit he was wrong about anything!

Except for the last time he apologized for Pgate

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

So does Al Gore.

OT.

I doubt Alex Jones will learn anything from this.

So does Glenn Beck

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm fighting a serious defamation suit myself (I'm the plaintiff) so I understand what it's like to have the media say things about you that aren't true and then to just bury you in BS ruining your reputation and life.

It isn't just Alex Jones that reports bogus info without doing diligent research, as far as I can tell the entire Media establishment from the top down has lost sight of what it means to be an honest reporter of facts. Too often they get lost in their personal views and want to push a political agenda so badly they will fabricate and exaggerate and hurt anyone they have to in order to achieve their short-sighted goals.

Like the victims who worked for Chobani I also suffered repeated assaults on my character and it is probably the most hurtful thing that ever happened to me in my whole life - the consequences of which will haunt me forever - and the retractions and apologies and reparations will hardly be a cushion to that inescapable act they mindlessly and heartlessly took part in.

What's done is done. Some things can never be fixed no matter how much you try. So even if those individuals harmed by lies and libel and slander got a million dollars it's only a big band-aid for a wound that may never truly heal.

You know families can break apart because of these types of lies. Children can be hurt and that will affect them for the rest of their lives. The scars can run very deep. I know all about it. Sadly, the children are the real victims in the end.

When a certain reality happens you just gotta deal with it. There's no way to unmake reality. Maybe things will end up good for those of us hurt by the media's unprofessional and maliciously reckless behavior and inability to do even the most basic research? I pray every night for that.

NEVER believe anything you see on TV or in the paper or on websites. Sure, maybe sometimes it's true but usually I bet it's totally bias and skewed towards some persons uninformed opinion. It's gossip and innuendo.

I know people that listen to all of these political pundits and talking heads, watch the tv news, etc, and they actually believe without question most of the stuff they see or hear. They honestly believe in this gibberish. CNN Fox NPR BBC or the alternative stuff like Alex Jones - they pick their favorites and just believe in it like it's unquestionable truth. If you challenge it they either go into cognitive dissonance mode, ignore it, or even attack you personally.

If only people knew....

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Sadly I don't think he'll learn and I don't think his followers will either. Maybe a few will learn but for whatever reason some people need to believe that they are victims, that they are under assault, helpless pawns etc. People like Alex Jones will exploit and worsen such vulnerable people regardless of consequence simply because there is always another sucker.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Amen to every word of that.

Freedom of speech is a fundamental and important right, but every right a person can have, comes with a responsibility. In this case, while a person has a right to say what they will, they also have a responsibility to use that right in a manner which does not infringe upon the rights of others, or cause their rights to be infringed as a knock on effect.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Words can become weapons that damage or destroy a person's reputation.

They say "sticks and stones can break your bones..." but what they fail to add to that is "but words can affect the rest of your life significantly and hurt you in ways you never imagined".

Like the Chobani employee's will now be associated with the idea of "child rapist" despite AJ's retraction.

The people who choose to believe without question anything AJ says will think automatically:

"AJ was right and they are using some corrupt court technicalities to force him to say this, that's what child rapist mafia's do! So let's disregard this retraction because these illegal foreigners who steal our jobs, usurp our judicial system, and rape our children of course will abuse the courts to force our beloved AJ to retract the TRUTH that he speaks against their evil ways!"

Obviously not everyone who worships his show will say that, but there are a large majority of them who will think something along those lines.

What these media pundits really do is brainwash their listeners. Because of their "Trust" for the media outlet, they will not question any of it and just believe it more and more as time passes. After years of listening in day after day their entire outlook in life is molded around what these media demagogues say. Then their mind becomes unbreakable and their belief system is so solid that no facts or evidence or retractions matter at all anymore.

Many of them will come up with 100 reasons why the original Chobani claims were actually true and the retraction was merely an aberration and probably forced on AJ at gunpoint.

That's why I said that getting paid $ is hardly a cushion because these labels and lies haunt you for the rest of your life. People will think "oh this is that Chobani rapist" or whatever. It's sick. Our society is twisted and the average person is so unfair and ignorant.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Having an agenda really is the main reason that these lies are pushed. The one's pushing it don't really know or care what's true or what's fiction. They are so wrapped up into their "narrative" that they just slant everything into those square holes even if the peg's a circle or triangle.

There's a lot of interesting comparisons between my case and all other defamation cases (I of course have to study other defamation cases in order to figure out how the case law works).

I don't know the specifics about the Chobani story, but in my particular case it was all promulgated by a vicious individual who knowingly lied as a result of peer pressure and to protect their earlier lies and save face, and then saw a wonderful opportunity for 15 minutes of fame and couldn't resist the temptation to go on National TV and lie even more and exaggerate even worse.

Of course a media company doesn't care about your petty selfish desires for fame and glory, their agenda is profit and politics.

So in my case, the political agenda was to pass new laws and I just happened to be the "reason why they need new laws". These people portrayed me in the most hurtful and life destroying ways imaginable, and none of it was true.

I have people recognize me and it's in a bad way. I'm talking very bad. I won't go into the details aside of saying I get threats on my life and refused business and it's incredibly hard to get a decent job despite the fact I'm overqualified. There were multiple TV stories done from Hawaii to North Carolina, and the Net articles are obviously international.

The only fact they got right was my name.

There are multiple major media corporations, politicians, and lobbyist organizations involved. None of them care about me or about the truth.

You know what I do? I carry around printed documents of government sourced information PROVING that what they said was a LIE just to show people in case they recognize me or bring it up. I will tell them the .Gov web addresses to go look at that corroborate my documentation.

Even after showing the proof, and even showing the Federal Judge's court orders in my favor in the lawsuit supporting my defamation claims --- they will still fall back on applying those labels on me and characterizing me in these false constructs. Not everyone does of course, but the more simple minded or immature and bigoted ones will.

The problem is that everyone wants to believe in a specific political narrative and everyone else has to fall into that narrative as a character role. That's why AJ characterized and misrepresented the Chobani people, because he didn't even realize or care that he was wrong. He just assumed he's right because everything fits the narrative he tells people.

He has an agenda for X (money fame political power), and so therefore everything he says must follow that agenda. Problem is he gets outta hand and says so much stuff eventually somethings gonna come back and bite him in the rear. Those pesky courts and that pesky tort law will balance the equation at some point.

Think twice about what you say about individuals. Always remember that they have lives, families, friends, and Feelings. Remember that your words can destroy those lives. Marriages can be destroyed, children can be hurt deeply, jobs lost. You could say something that is so powerful it could bring that person to suicide because they see no way out of your lies.

Now that I know first hand how this all works I'm going to be super careful about what kinda gossip might spew outta my mouth. I can only hope others will heed my advice and learn from the mistakes of people like AJ. Journalism simply doesn't have any integrity left these days. Doing a basic fact check is a minimum requirement that apparently isn't very important to a lot of these 'reporters' anymore.

Most of the people here on ATS will disregard your thread and continue listening to their hero unquestioningly. That is the reality here and why defamation is so powerful and long-lasting. In my case people will still watch NBC and CBS nightly news without question and will not care about that little retraction and apology they give me. The hurtful and completely false labels applied to me will last, truth be damned.

The Media is god in our society and the arbiter of truth. That's the painful reality.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Alex had a time when he was an important voice but I think he has lost his way, sadly.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
Alex had a time when he was an important voice but I think he has lost his way, sadly.

I just do not understand such people. If anybody should understand how important it is for a "journalist" to be credible to the public it is Alex Jones. Most certainly if he is reporting about hot patatoes and other government conspiracy subjects.

It is an easy win when switching from absolute credible to a pile of donkey manour. The price is being payed when the people start smelling the donkey sjit. His whole whole carreer can be pushed down the drain because of that easy win and decision to sell BS to the people.

Maybe it was a well thought out decision to sell out and become a bs reporter. That easy win made enough money and attracted new listeners...and made the gamble to predict that those new listeners will stick around no matter what news he is selling. AJ is counting on the stupidity of the US citizens.. They buy anything from their government..so why not from him.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Well if they admitted when they are wrong, they would be speaking every minute and every second of the day

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is the second time Jones apologized over this child rape regarding the pizzagate story.

He also, if you recall, apologized to the pizza parlor over the nut-job who went in there to find child molesters Jones had said were working there.

Jones gets 10 mil a day hits so he spreads poison that can cause much damage.

Alex Jones Apologizes for Promoting ‘Pizzagate’ Hoax

BUSINESS DAY
Alex Jones, a prominent conspiracy theorist and the host of a popular right-wing radio show, has apologized for helping to spread and promote the hoax known as Pizzagate.
The admission on Friday by Mr. Jones, the host of “The Alex Jones Show” and the operator of the website Infowars, was striking. In addition to promoting the Pizzagate conspiracy theory, he has contended that the Sept. 11 attacks were inside jobs carried out by the United States government and that the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., was a hoax concocted by those hostile to the Second Amendment.

Now if you read this it indicates likely Jones’ real job…It is to marginalize serious conspiracy possibilities with his nut-job lies and hoaxes he espouses.

Jones is pure, ignorant and sinister poison

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Did any of the so called "refugees" actually rape a child in Twin Falls, Idaho?

new topics

top topics

join