It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Machete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Last year at that time I decided to clean one bush-overtaken garden. For the purpose however I chose rather strange method. A machete.

Why? Well... at a fencing meeting months before I had got ashamed because of my short sword techniques, so I was about to revenge myself and push that garden as a training. One year later the garden is again in bushes, so I guess I'll have myself another swinging month.

And my love for machetes and other short TOOLS will never get away. Nothing more rewarding in my soul than the feeling that my bushwacker is my best friend in disaster scenario as well(like when the wife cooks something awful)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

I to am a huge fan of the machete. I have a tendency to carry one over a hatchet. Do you have a favorite style?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Piggy315

I to am a huge fan of the machete. I have a tendency to carry one over a hatchet. Do you have a favorite style?

Elk Ridge makes a really nice one. I love them also. Mine has the type of handle like a pirates sword and can protect your hand if you were fighting with one.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Piggy315

The Brazilian straight suits me best, but if its smaller size, rather leaf shaped or just using the Khukri. However, I use the khukri for different things and its too heavy for me to call it machete. I would love to try some different designs as well, like the parang, or the traditional bolo, but that's maybe when I meet a cheap smith forged piece for sale around.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I used to make em kind of as a hobby. Used lawnmower blades and old leaf springs.

Always liked the bolo or kukri myself.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argentbenign
a reply to: Piggy315

The Brazilian straight suits me best, but if its smaller size, rather leaf shaped or just using the Khukri. However, I use the khukri for different things and its too heavy for me to call it machete. I would love to try some different designs as well, like the parang, or the traditional bolo, but that's maybe when I meet a cheap smith forged piece for sale around.

I have a straight blade, but my favorite is the parang. CRKT makes a very nice one. It's on the thick side but I live in the northeast so it suits the predominantly hardwoods it hacks.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I carry a machete in my bug out bag ☺

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nthdimension

I have a couple in my bag, different shapes for different uses. Never know if you'll have to chop weeds or kill zombies.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Piggy315

You have a tendency to carry a machete and a hatchet in Syracuse?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Talibong works well as a machete too. Decent balance. When it starts swinging it wants to go.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ginunting has a nice curve to it and cuts through lighter brush like butter. Missing the weight though the swollen belly of talibong itak has. So not as good as say a kukri where ypu need something to function more like a hatchet.

If you enjoy swinging the short sword or machete i recommend picking up a little pekiti tirsia or kalis illustrissimo. The pekiti has a routine called the 64 attacks. It goes over many core classical short sword techniques from basic attacks and parries to offensive entries. Teaches a lot.

Indonesians have an interesting take with their golok work. They use the goloks cutting edge not only as a sword but a tool for creating lever points to throw an assailant. So takedowns are built right into their initial counter all using just the sword. No trapping etc for the throws. More like how a baton is used in a similar manner.
edit on 19-6-2017 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join