It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intel Core i9 CPU Coming in 2017

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Intel core i9 with 12 processing units and 24 threads. Sooo, my only question is what do you actually need all that fire power for? I know I need it for my Linux Virtual boxes, Server virtual boxes and GN3 labs.

Core i9-7920X (12 Core/24 Thread, 16.5MB L3, 44 PCIe Lanes, 140W, Clock: N/A)

Clearly, Core i9 CPUs would be replacing i7 as the top-tier CPUs. The leaked details further reveal that both Skylake-X would offer support for Quad DDR4-2666 memory and it would be Dual DDR4-2666 in the case of Kaby Lake-X CPUs. All of these CPUs would be running on Intel upcoming LGA2066 socket.

Might want to hold off on that expensive $316 Kabylak processor purchase you have been thinking for either a price drop or potentially equally priced i9.

All of these CPUs would be running on Intel’s upcoming LGA2066 socket, releasing in June, which is also the expected month of release of these processors, according to leaked image. This excludes Core i9-7290X which might hit the stores in August. The details known so far aren’t official and might change before the actual product arrives in the market.

With the higher pin count on the new LGA2066 and 4.5Ghz of overclock speed we are talking some serious firepower.

Anyone want to help me out here and explain how many executions this offers and fill in the gaps?

edit on 19-5-2017 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Faster processors only bring out more gobble happy windows instalations. I bet by the time they get this processor out the old processors will be too slow. My old pentium 120 ran just as fast with my programs back then as this newer computer runs with windows seven. Now I have Windows ten and if I didn't shut off most of the apps I don't ever use, it would be slower than my old one twenty with the original windows I had. Wow, I have been using computers since eighty four. That is thirty three years. That old IBM system thirty two was slow though. The commodore was fun.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The only phrase is sweet jeebus....

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I had a commodore Vic 20.i bought a cassette tape drive and a 5k expansion cartridge.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: buckwhizzle

I had a commodore Vic 20.i bought a cassette tape drive and a 5k expansion cartridge.

Wow, I only had the 128 bit processor, They were the newest power of the time, twice as fast as the 64. That was over fourteen hundred bucks complete with the modem and printer.

That also included quite a few programs, and a free internet access coupon for a month. That month we were on the net, the cost of the long distance was over a hundred bucks. We paid by the minute back then. Our regular complete phone bill was usually about fifteen bucks.
edit on 19-5-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Real time 3D video capture and playback of course. Duh.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I know I gave up gaming in exchange for studying the tech I am gaming on including the network.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

That's I love Linux!

It sucks I still have to have an MS box for office suite and other things having to do with compatibility.

Windows 10 is such poo poo I wish they would release a server like windows os for developers that offers more granular control over the OS so I can strip it down to it's bare bones.

Oh how about build your own MS from the kernel like Linux.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I could use that, to edit and colour 3D film in real time. 3D CGI would be closer to real time monitoring.

A stadium could use that kind of power to record all of it's microphones to one box, with a decent plugin load.

You could become a small telecom wholesaler.

Need to scan and model brainwaves?

Bitcoin mining anyone?.....

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

You can RT any version of windows 7/8/10, to only install the components you want.

My studio workstation has the absolute bare minimum windows services needed to record audio. No networking, file sharing, bloat-a-toria.....

Only takes up 2 gigs space. Linux fast.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Yeah, I had a 64 with the cassette tape storage. You had to get to the prompt, press play on the cassette player, it would read out all of the code to the screen and THEN you typed run...lol

Jaden

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Why? growth, possibilities and removing limitations. I agree with what one guy said, as the machines become more powerful, the software put in them utilizes more power which can make machines feel as fast or slower than older machines. What is ignored is the amount of utility these less efficient programs bring. It's a give and take, some times you just gotta stick with older software that wont bind down your hardware. Many gamers know, you can have a ton of background applications but you are always best running as little as possible. This can be very annoying when trying to monitor performance of a machine, as any software running could slow the hardware down giving less ideal results.

As I said though, growth, possibilities and removing limitations. It sucks that we get the bloatware but I wanna see an old computer run GRW. Even with a new GPU, the CPU is going to be throttling the game.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Yeah, I had a 64 with the cassette tape storage. You had to get to the prompt, press play on the cassette player, it would read out all of the code to the screen and THEN you typed run...lol

Jaden

Best game for it was skips crisps crazy Colin! Collected parts for his bike, but as soon as you got the max speed one off the roller-coaster I just used to scream about

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Intel core i9 with 12 processing units and 24 threads. Sooo, my only question is what do you actually need all that fire power for?

Doesn't matter.

Todays high end is tomorrows minimum requirements.

More memory

Faster speeds between the memory and processor.

And will last a hell of a long time.

I'm still using a core 2 quad.

The only thing that's slows me down is lack of memory capacity.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
It will run faster/better than most people need but to days expense is tomorrows bargain.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

That's I love Linux!

It sucks I still have to have an MS box for office suite and other things having to do with compatibility.

Windows 10 is such poo poo I wish they would release a server like windows os for developers that offers more granular control over the OS so I can strip it down to it's bare bones.

Oh how about build your own MS from the kernel like Linux.

I used to do some programming years ago, I was interested in that stuff back then. I have different interests now, ones that are more important to my friends and family. I am studying medicine and the chemistries of foods now. My goal is to make it so we do not need doctors and if I accept what is being spread in nutrition, I will be sick and so will others who share similar genetic traits. Sometimes I think whomever is creating the nonsense about nutrition works for MSM because there is so much improper interpretation of the evidence being made. Meanwhile I am just interested in Far Northern European genetics.

I used to enjoy tracking down viruses on the computer and shutting them down. It was a challenge. I had a lot of software to do it and knew my way around bios very well. But now, the antiviral software built into the AT&T server actually helps to stop viruses and I just get an occasional virus that my free antivirus catches. I have more of a problem with Window's 10 hijacking me than spyware from the internet now. I use Ccleaner religiously so I don't get a restart before shutting down, that is the most important thing to control viruses. Pharma sites have tracking and steering software, I clear my computer right after visiting them or I only see what they want me to see.

It was easier to learn how they work than to start fighting them. Making sure the spyware does not write to the disk is critical.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden

Jaden

My youngest daughter has my old commodore, she bought some extra parts too. We have a lot of games for it yet, the big floppy disks. She is going to get it running, I should have here bring it here because she is so busy with her business. She just hired seven more people, she is going to be swamped. I keep warning her not to go too big, it is too stressful unless you get someone to be a project manager, but she thinks she can take on sixteen employees and check their work. She has five monitors on her desk, all working at one time. She does have good monitors, they are easy on the eyes. One of those monitors always has facebook on it

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Faster processors only bring out more gobble happy windows instalations. I bet by the time they get this processor out the old processors will be too slow. My old pentium 120 ran just as fast with my programs back then as this newer computer runs with windows seven. Now I have Windows ten and if I didn't shut off most of the apps I don't ever use, it would be slower than my old one twenty with the original windows I had. Wow, I have been using computers since eighty four. That is thirty three years. That old IBM system thirty two was slow though. The commodore was fun.

It depends on what you're doing. For work I routinely gobble up all that processing power. I've got what's basically the fastest desktop computer money can buy, and it's still too slow at times.

originally posted by: shefskitchen
I could use that, to edit and colour 3D film in real time. 3D CGI would be closer to real time monitoring.

You should see the processing power VR takes. It's more video card than CPU, but it requires some pretty hefty hardware.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
The only phrase is sweet jeebus....

If you look at the professional motherboards, there are even faster systems that use dual CPU sockets; Supermicro S10DAX and ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS has two Xeon sockets and four PCI GPU sockets, max 1 Terabyte/512 GBytes of memory. With a couple of E2660, you could have up to 40 cores with 80 threads. On the GPU side, you end up with around 12000 GPU threads.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
High end LGA2066 processors are going to be very expensive. LGA2066 is pointless, if all you do is surf the web and play video games. If only 1% of the user base has 12 cores, what game developer is going to waste time programing the game to take advantage of all the extra cores. If you do video encoding or photo editing professionally, i could see going with LGA2066.

You could build a new system that includes new MOBO, RAM, CPU, GPU and PSU for the cost of Intel high end LGA2066 CPU.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join