It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this space junk or something "else"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: MuonToGluon
a reply to: Outback22

My mistake.

Still no to the meteorite bit, low angle, ballistic trajectory, glowing - it would of air burst, not meteorite.

Whatever else it could be? Dunno.

Does the fact that it appears to have been molten mean anything to you? Must I mention again that the term "meteorite" means that the object has fallen to the earth?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: Outback22

Space junk would be made of lighter or stronger materials than Iron.

but Iron is the most common material found in meteorites.

A common misconception, not true, stony materials are the most common with iron least common.

You are correct, less than 5% of all meteors are iron. I have just seen so many Iron meteorites that i forgot.

In Antarctica, because of the icy ground cover, meteorites are most easily identified and many more stony meteorites are found than in other locations. This would tend to indicate that much less than 5% are Iron.

edit on 19/5/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Here is another fragment of the fireball.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Cheap hammer from Wal Mart

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Are we not seeing the same image and seeing how rusted this scrap metal is? Can you not see this small little problem I am referring to?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PRSpinster
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Maybe he didn't feel like writing a novel again. Why does it even matter?

It matters a great deal because we can maybe...NARROW IT DOWN to what it may or may not be so we don't have to take shots in the dark, maybe?

It's as simple as CTRL + C (And V) to copy and paste, or to highlight and select copy, or hold your finger to your screen and slide over the text on a fone, or ask your digital assistant (Google, Cortana etc) to highlight the text to paste, so please do not give me any of that novel stuff.
edit on 19-5-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Spelling + Addition

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

The story remains the same (with or without the UFO/lights). The fact is something nearly hit my friend and his wife. And I don't no what it is?

edit on 19-5-2017 by Outback22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I'm a metal detector.. Apparently quite common for people to find meteorites.

I found a few suspect items and have researched this a fair bit.

If it is a meteorite it should have no bubbles on the surface, as there is no oxygen in space, a dimpled effect called "thumb prints" is what you look for in metal meteorites.

Yes it should oxidize, so it being rusty cannot be used to say it isn't genuine. Many collectors treat their items with oil to prevent this.

Industrial slag is commonly mistaken for meteorites, been fooled a few times. BUT industrial slag has air bubbles, so this is something you can determine. Just thought I'd mention that, but your piece cannot obviously be I.S. Of coarse.

Someone else mentioned about the magnetism? Yes it's true and should be very magnetic.

Only surefire way to know, is to either send it for analysis, or buy a nickel testing kit. No terrestrial iron contains the amount or ratio of nickel, that meteorites do, so this will seal the deal.

just had a closer look at the object In Question. I can make out "thumb prints" but this would still occur with space junk or any metal. Nickel test is the only way forward, either way it's a unique item! If it's a meteorite? Worth a pretty penny! If it's an unusual piece of space junk? Surely worth a fair bit too, as of the rarity.

I have a suss piece of metal I recovered from a field. I scrubbed it with a wire brush and it came out beautiful! I was convinced it was a space rock. But after research it seems it is industrial slag, it has bubbles, but you never know, same advice I gave to you, you have to do a nickel test! Which I haven't yet.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Here is another piece

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   
SMOKEN

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1   >>