It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PSA. Creepy Website Knows A LOT About You. Delete Your Info

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
Considering I have one creepy stalker from my past (a student) I hate seeing sites like these around. Thanks for the good info. Most that I have seen make it really difficult to erase your private info.

Ugh. Do the designers ever stop to think about the many many reasons people wouldn't want this info so readily available?

Norway was worse. You could do a reverse number lookup on a mobile phone number and it would show the world your front door.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Spokeo has the same stuff and they have had it for years... before spokeo had a paid component I would use it to do people research all the time

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75
a reply to: FauxMulder

I would highly recommend against this. Sites like the one mentioned are actually data mining sites. Most of them will have an ad that says "Go to this site and enter your name, you won't believe what you find!". Then when you go to the site and type in your name, you just gave them a buttload of more information to go with what they already had on you.

Best to just leave it alone.

I agree. Seems like a data mining scheme to me, and why would one have to agree to terms to have records removed? If they are keeping nothing, no agreement would be needed. A site like that I'd be more likely to search for some old acquaintance, than for myself. Why give them my name and location?? Thanks, but no thanks! They could have public data, but who cares? So could many other places. Any non-private phone number will be in records somewhere. Same for addresses. Being unlisted these days, I have no worries there! Anyone who'd want to look for me would either know me, or find nothing current. There are tons of these sites around, too, and ads for them, claiming "you'll be shocked", etc. It's all a scam.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Thanks for this. What worries me is that there are several other sites like this.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I would just use someone else's computer to remove those records. I know you could use a proxy server or whatever, but I don't mess with all that stuff. I'm a developer not a hacker.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Ugh, they got the names of my parents, last 4 cities I've lived in too. They got where I'm currently living wrong though, which seems strange since I own the house and that's public info.

I'm glad I'm boring.
edit on 1820170520171 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:50 AM
link   

All that information is on public record anyway. What are you worried about?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 02:56 AM
link   

It worked just fine.

Sure it did. And now you are on record as a suspicious person, because you asked to have it removed.

Do you think the information has ceased to exist just because it’s no longer online?

All you have done is raise your profile a little more.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Well i learnt that an American friend seems to have moved back to Arizona..weird..i Never thought she'd leave Montana and go back but i think it was the cold and snow in winter that got to her.Good of you to post this so folks who want to,can remove their info.Imagine what they have on us in secret though,especially on Americans

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Ya but i think people realise they cannot remove the info the ABC's have on them.To remove their info from a site like this is to protect them from the "average citizens" like craxy exes and stalkers etc.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I would highly recommend against this. Sites like the one mentioned are actually data mining sites. Most of them will have an ad that says "Go to this site and enter your name, you won't believe what you find!". Then when you go to the site and type in your name, you just gave them a buttload of more information to go with what they already had on you.

Best to just leave it alone.

That was my first thought. No chance I am being tricked into going to a site like that.
I know the OP is trying to help, but they are possibly leading people into troubled waters.

edit on 19-5-2017 by Jefferton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   

a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I would just use someone else's computer to remove those records. I know you could use a proxy server or whatever, but I don't mess with all that stuff. I'm a developer not a hacker.

Yeah, that would work, too!! I don't even bother. If they have data, it's in public records elsewhere, and if it isn't, it's not going to be correct, anyway!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   
My wife had that information from facebook. She was bitching at me because I have another house in Fenton Michigan and am married and have a nicer camper there with my other wife.

Well, she checked her own name and found she is my wife there too, I guess she is getting Alzheimer disease because she can't remember we own a house there too. Oh wait, I can't remember it either, maybe we both got alzheimer disease, but I guess that is all right, my daughter has alzheimer disease too because she is supposed to be there with us and she can't even remember it....best way to get rid of the problem is to erase the information, but it only erases it from one site, the one you are looking at, the rest are not effected by the removal, my wife did it on the other site and it is still here, same info.

So now that she got rid of her name at the other site, she can go back there again and accuse me of having another wife at the other house with the nicer camper in the yard.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join