It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little something that everyone should know concerning classified information

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I will make this short and sweet....

Let you guys/gals chew on it for a while.

I have seen nothing but time after time that "we have information that is classified, that if the American people knew, they would change their minds.

Classified Information is currently covered under Executive Order 13526 of December 29, 2009.

It specifically states, and I quote:

Sec. 1.7.

Classification Prohibitions and Limitations.

(a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:

(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;

(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;

(3) restrain competition; or

(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security.

All the news recently is talking about crimes committed but can't be discussed because it is classified.

This directly contradicts the Executive Order.

Link: www.gpo.gov...

Think about that and discuss.

I have nothing else to add at this point other than this is not about partisanship, it is about what the EC specifically states and the excuses being made why certain classified information that points to criminal acts is being shoved down the throats of viewers of American main stream media.
edit on R122017-05-18T09:12:20-05:00k125Vam by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

This is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

edit on Thu May 18 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Remember when we were kids, we didn't have any actual grounds for our opinions, so we called them secret.

I can't tell you (Why or How), cause its a secret.

Oh okay, I'll just believe it then.
edit on 18-5-2017 by intrptr because: additional

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
All I can say for certain is that there is a whole lot of criminals running our government, and they're working together to cover their asses while milking we the people for their over inflated salaries.

For the last 20+ years, they've all been sitting comfortably with corrupt, lawless bosses that they didn't have to worry about. They all came together, and legalized propaganda so they could use the media to get their messiah in the big chair... and they lost. Their very lives are at stake, now- they're no longer protected from the top, and they'll be turning on eachother and giving up their criminal friends soon enough to buy themselves a little more time... but they were never prepared for this.

Lots of criminals... Some only corrupt, many far worse. And soon they'll all be ousted for what they are.
Can't wait.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

So any classified info that may be covering up sometime illegal isn't supposed to be classified any longer?

We should have warehouses of documents being released by the government on everything if this EO was actually followed.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The thing is everything you have said in your OP is very subjective. Everything is open to interpretation. Nothing is clear cut. Invariably two people can read the same facts and come to completely different conclusions based on ideology. Your OP makes it sound like it's all clear cut. It's not.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

So any classified info that may be covering up sometime illegal isn't supposed to be classified any longer?

We should have warehouses of documents being released by the government on everything if this EO was actually followed.

Yeah massive logic fail I'd say

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

originally posted by: underwerks

Yeah massive logic fail I'd say

Explain it to me.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
I will make this short and sweet....

Let you guys/gals chew on it for a while.

I have seen nothing but time after time that "we have information that is classified, that if the American people knew, they would change their minds.

Classified Information is currently covered under Executive Order 13526 of December 29, 2009.

It specifically states, and I quote:

Sec. 1.7.

Classification Prohibitions and Limitations.

(a) In no case shall information be classified, continue to be maintained as classified, or fail to be declassified in order to:

(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;

(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;

(3) restrain competition; or

(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security.

All the news recently is talking about crimes committed but can't be discussed because it is classified.

This directly contradicts the Executive Order.

Link: www.gpo.gov...

Think about that and discuss.

I have nothing else to add at this point other than this is not about partisanship, it is about what the EC specifically states and the excuses being made why certain classified information that points to criminal acts is being shoved down the throats of viewers of American main stream media.

Yeap. Nothing new here, Thanks for the refresher. I already knew this though, but hey. Ignorance is bliss.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Just because something that is classified might have elements that pertain to a criminal investigation does mean that it is the reason for the classification--there may be other elements that need to remain classified.

If your implication is that many of these things are classified solely to avoid public disclosure BECAUSE it talks about potentially criminal activity, I think that you're connecting dots that may not necessarily be there.

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen, but I'm saying that, with the limited details as to which classified documents you're referring, it's hard to intelligently think about this and discuss it, like you're wanting us to do.

You claim that reasons that some unspecified things are classified are "excuses," yet provide no details and have no way to prove it. What's to discuss?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   

any scenario that would cause the indigenous population to commence lamp post stringage would fall under national security...regardless

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The biggest thing that most people do not realize is that the vast majority of information that is classified has nothing to do with the information itself but rather the collection methods. If the information were to be declassified, then our sources could be revealed. That in itself is the truest danger. And yes, it is the same way for almost every intelligence agency. We may all (all nations) have cool tech now like satellites, spy planes, and drones, but none is as reliable as good old human intelligence (or HUMINT).

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Forget 1, 2, 3 it's number 4 That will and does supersede the first 3. It's a get out of jail card.
It all comes down to national security, which could be interpreted as anything, because just who decides it's a threat to national security. Whoops, you've guessed it, the very people that classifies the documents. Job done.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
All I can say for certain is that there is a whole lot of criminals running our government, and they're working together to cover their asses while milking we the people for their over inflated salaries.

For the last 20+ years, they've all been sitting comfortably with corrupt, lawless bosses that they didn't have to worry about. They all came together, and legalized propaganda so they could use the media to get their messiah in the big chair... and they lost. Their very lives are at stake, now- they're no longer protected from the top, and they'll be turning on eachother and giving up their criminal friends soon enough to buy themselves a little more time... but they were never prepared for this.

Lots of criminals... Some only corrupt, many far worse. And soon they'll all be ousted for what they are.
Can't wait.

I think we only see the tip of the iceberg....

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

This is NO LONGER in the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Ah, that's the "fun" part, though, isn't it? If something remains classified, they can claim other reasons, and stonewall. You have to see the information to know if they are breaking the rules.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Just because the law says classification can't be used to cover certain things up, doesn't mean that those who blow the whistle will get good treatment. Our previous President was the worst we've had in the nations history on whistleblower rights, and the guy before him wasn't too good either.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The thing is everything you have said in your OP is very subjective. Everything is open to interpretation. Nothing is clear cut. Invariably two people can read the same facts and come to completely different conclusions based on ideology. Your OP makes it sound like it's all clear cut. It's not.

In theory it is supposed to be clear cut but you are right, it's subjective. It's subjective to those who control the information.

As JDeLattre89 posted above, the information itself might not be classified-worthy but rather the methods to obtain that information in the first place.

I think a question about this is worth discussing: How is that particular EO to be enforced without bias? What if an AI could somehow deliver? Yet again, the EO could be overturned yes? By successive Presidents?

new topics

top topics

join