It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1985 Jeep CJ7 issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Hello ATS .
I have a question for some of the older members whom are familiar with Older Jeeps. I'm not to automotively inclined so any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I have an 85 CJ7- automatic, inline 6, 4.2 l. With Part time 4x4, with 58,000. Km. On it.

First question:
I have noticed an issue taking place when I hit a larger bump, the transmission pops out of drive and goes into second. I haven't noticed anything specific, although it does happen when I'm traveling at hiway speeds and hit a pothole. Then I hear the engine revving high and look at my shifter and sure enough it's in second.
So I quickly have to shift it back into drive.
All fluids are good, tranny fluid specifically.

2nd issue - stalling.
Just recently the jeep has started stalling. It's also idling rough.
It will sometimes stall when at a red light on an incline, as well when slowly making a turn, even sometimes immediately after starting it, I'll jump out to let it warm up for a minute and as soon as I take my foot off the gas it will sputter and die.
But as long as I keep my foot on the gas while doing any of the above, it won't stall out.
One thing I remember thinking was that it happens more often when it's wet/damp out.
The past week or so - it has been rainy here.
Hence why I noticed this happening a lot more than it had in the past.

Any ideas for any of the issues ?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Sign up to this forum and ask the questions there. You will get tons of help. Ask on the CJ forum. This is the premier Jeep forum.

www.jeepforum.com...
edit on 17-5-2017 by Starbuck799 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Starbuck799

Awesome, thanks a lot!

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Your tranny problem sounds like some really sloppy tranny mount and maybe motor mounts, when its jarred enough it tugs on the linkage.

As far as your other problem, there is a long list of stuff that will do that so your gonna have to go through your fuel system/carb. could be intake/vacuum leak maybe.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Your tranny problem may be this. Read the whole thread. This happens a lot to old CJs. I know it's not stuck, but it may be the same problem with some worn parts causing the truck to pop into another gear.

www.jeepforum.com...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Hello ATS .
I have a question for some of the older members whom are familiar with Older Jeeps. I'm not to automotively inclined so any suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I have an 85 CJ7- automatic, inline 6, 4.2 l. With Part time 4x4, with 58,000. Km. On it.

First question:
I have noticed an issue taking place when I hit a larger bump, the transmission pops out of drive and goes into second. I haven't noticed anything specific, although it does happen when I'm traveling at hiway speeds and hit a pothole. Then I hear the engine revving high and look at my shifter and sure enough it's in second.
So I quickly have to shift it back into drive.
All fluids are good, tranny fluid specifically.
2nd issue - stalling.
Just recently the jeep has started stalling. It's also idling rough.
It will sometimes stall when at a red light on an incline, as well when slowly making a turn, even sometimes immediately after starting it, I'll jump out to let it warm up for a minute and as soon as I take my foot off the gas it will sputter and die.
But as long as I keep my foot on the gas while doing any of the above, it won't stall out.
One thing I remember thinking was that it happens more often when it's wet/damp out.
The past week or so - it has been rainy here.
Hence why I noticed this happening a lot more than it had in the past.

Any ideas for any of the issues ?

The stalling sounds like the automatic choke. The gear jumping was also an issue, best idea is to look up a forum with a simple search phrase.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

keep your hand on the shaker next time you are cruising and see if it feels like it wants to pop into second.
im with shooter on this one. makes sense

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

edit on 1720170520171 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I'm only 26 so this jeep was made before I was born, however I've owned 26 jeeps thus far including a hand full of Cj's.

Issue one sounds like either a worn linkage issue or a issue with the transmission mount that causes the shifter to hit something.

Issue number two definitely sounds like a float in the carb is stuck slightly. Does it stall under heavy load accelerating or sputter at all?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Transmission is probably loose/worn linkage.

Do the other problems occur all the time or only when the fuel tank is around 1/4 tank or less?
If regardless of fuel level it is likely caused by a fuel filter or a leak somewhere where its sucking too much air into the system.
edit on 17-5-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2017 by KEACHI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Chromium51
If I'm giving it even the slightest bit of gas it will not stall.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: KEACHI

Well the other day I was at 1/8 of a tank. it kept stalling, so I thought maybe the fuel needle was stuck.
So I went and filled the tank.Same deal

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hard to diagnose remotely.

I'd check a few things.

If you pop hood, look through gap on hood at the motor, put ito gear and torque motor by pressing gas and brakes at same time. A small amnt of movement is normal, if motor mnts or tranny mounts are bad, it will twist a couple of inches, or even clank if rubber bushings are shot.
A buddy can help look under jeep for excess movemnt around tranny, just don't run him over.

Check out:vacum leaks, fuel filter,plugs/wires/cap, fuel pump for idle issues.

If it is not a loose mount, then have a tranny shop check it out, it may be something simple like a clogged filter in the pan.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I can offer this. Stalling on an incline is usually fuel related.
I have a 98 jeep. Grand Cherokee that I just love driving. I have a 2009 Lincoln town care that practally kisses my hinny when I sit down and automatically adjusts the seat, and mirrors to my exact specifications and surely smells better but there's just something about the jeep.
We bought it for the beach. Fishing gear, umbrellas, nets and camp chairs and coolers of ice one for fish one for drinks. Lots of spills lots of fabreeze lol. Still love it.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Lol I'm the same way with my jeep, I have a brand new Ford Fusion that has all the bells and whistles, which cost me over $30,000 ( really regret getting the 18 inch rim package, each tire is $300 )
Yet I'd rather bounce around in my old jeep that doesn't even have a radio in it....and stalls and drops out of gear lol

new topics

top topics

join