It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pistachio.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wait...what? Seriously a thread about pistachios?

That's right my good buddy!

Why tho?

Two reasons.

1) They are got damn delicious!
2) I wanted to break up the 3,452.33333(repeating of course) threads about a certain political figure today.

How can you not love these salty pieces of heaven?

I don't know whats better, sucking on the shells or getting to that great seed on the inside. (keep your minds out of the gutter folks)

Where do they come from?

A tree of course!

Can I have a pistachio tree of my own? Those damn things are expensive.

Absolutely but you'll have to put a lot of time and work in.

Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 8 through 11. Pistachios are a commercial crop primarily in California, but also in New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Texas and Utah. Trees are usually grown as grafts on rootstock from other species of Pistacia that furnish disease resistance and more vigorous growth. Fruit is borne only on female trees, but the male is necessary for pollination.

These suckers make you wait for them:

The trees are planted in orchards, and take approximately seven to ten years to reach significant production. Production is alternate-bearing or biennial-bearing, meaning the harvest is heavier in alternate years. Peak production is reached around 20 years. Trees are usually pruned to size to make the harvest easier. One male tree produces enough pollen for eight to 12 drupe-bearing females

Check this map to see if you are in the correct zone.

I think I'll stick to paying for them.

But are they good for me???

You bet your sweet patootie! Among other health benefits, here are a few:

Healthy Heart: One of the biggest health benefits of pistachios is that they are heart-friendly nuts. Research suggests that regular pistachio consumption can decrease the levels of bad LDL cholesterol in the body. The antioxidants, phytosterols, unsaturated fatty acids (both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids) are great for promoting a healthy heart.

Weight Management: Pistachios are also the first choice for people who are dieting. Evidence suggests that pistachios, with their lower calories, high protein, low saturated fat, and high unsaturated fats, are an ideal contender as compared to other nuts and dried fruits for ideal weight management.

Reduced Risk of Age-Related Macular Disease or (AMD): Pistachios contain carotenoid antioxidants such as lutein and zeaxanthin. These antioxidants help in reducing the risk of contracting age-related macular disease in the elderly, according to the research conducted by Chen CYO and Blumberg JB from Tufts University, Boston, USA. They can be included, along with vegetables, for an increased supply of lutein and zeaxanthin.

BUT WAIT! I must warn you of their dark side

If you get one like this prepare for some frustration:

Pistachios are also know for their great humor. Exhibit A:

Now I'm off to probably add to the political madness again. Take it away Ricky!

edit on 17-5-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Remember when it was really easy to find pistachio ice cream? It was a pretty common flavor.

Went looking for it recently. No longer so common. It exists. But it's hard to find.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Amazon you can buy just about anything from them.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   
They are nice i'll give you that.

Might buy some tomorrow

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

I make a paste with pistachios, honey and herbs d provence(make sure theres plenty of lavender buds) and coat the inside of pounded chicken breast...add shoestringed jalepeno, red pepper, yellow pepper green pepper bacon and goat cheese....roll it up skewer and smoke off flame for an hour and a half...amazing.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I like Pistachio's but I'm much more fond of the Cashew, except you can't eat them raw as you'll likely die, although I wonder who the first guinea pigs were for eating raw Cashews

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I did not know that! Part of the poison ivy family. That's crazy. I also love cashews.

a reply to: BlueJacket

That sounds amazing! I would love to try that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Great thread! gotta have me some pistachios.

also same as you, think I will just keep buying them, seems the convenient route

edit on 5/17/2017 by ware2010 because: Pistachios

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Yeah I only learnt it myself a month ago when I was curious as to just why Cashews are so expensive and it's due to them taking long to produce like the Pistachio and the processing required to make them edible, even though they're native in Brazil, Vietnam are the largest producers.

It's related to the Pistachio too as well as the Mango

Anacardiaceae

The genus Pistacia (which includes the pistachio and mastic tree) is now included, but was previously placed in its own family, the Pistaciaceae

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I can eat a pound at a setting. All the better with Modello beer

Same could be said about boiled peanuts...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

I'm with you on the beer and a pound of em but I have to part ways when the boiled peanuts come out! I think its a texture thing for me. I like honey roasted peanuts.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

When I was a little girl I would wet the red dyed ones and rub them on my lips so it looked like I had lipstick.

I was always a diva.
edit on 5172017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   

You and me both. Peanuts should crunch not squish.

Love the salty good crunch of pistachios but funny enough I do not like pistachio ice cream. Weird huh?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Haha! That sounds like something my daughter would do.

#nosquishynuts

edit on 17-5-2017 by FauxMulder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Moresby

Friendlys ice cream shops have it. I'm not a fan myself.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Ut oh. Better buy stock in Ulta then. (A makeup and beauty mega store)

#nosquishynuts
edit on 5172017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I can eat a pound at a setting. All the better with Modello beer

Same could be said about boiled peanuts...

you must be from florida/georgia area....am i right?

i grew up in florida and boiled peanuts are a staple down there. i love them. i live in ohio now and they cant be found and that pre canned # at the store does not count.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Suffolk Virginia is the peanut capitol of the world. We even have a festival for them.
Peanuts in every form raw, roasted, boiled, cookies and as butter . Even peanut flavored beer.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I like pistachios, just not in my ice cream, and I like them almost as much as the Leroy Jenkins reference.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

the Leroy Jenkins reference.

YES! I was wondering if anyone would catch that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join