It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Stock Market Takes a Beating Today - DOW Down 350... FamCore's Analysis of the Larger Situation

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
US households may hold more debt, but it's more student loan debt. Other types of debt are actually less for families than they were before the '08 crash.

So, I would expect that stock correction might be less damaging to the family than anticipated for that reason. I know we do have 2 credit cards, but we carry low enough balances on them that we could pay them down relatively painlessly. We learned that lesson.

The big question would be how much damage would ripple through the larger economy to damage families from that direction.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: RisenMessiah

The interesting thing with regards to silver, is that suffocates nasty bacteria, One guy I saw rubs his toothbrush with some toothpaste on a silver dollar, he claims that removes enough silver atoms to clean him up. Just thought i'd mention it as colloidal silver is expensive and needs a few clues to make. Just as an anecdote a friend came down with a really serious cold, which was cleared up with colloidal silver overnight.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'll be the first to admit that the stock market is long overdue for a major correction. However, there is an old Wall Street saying "Sell in May and go away." A decent sized sell off is by no means uncommon this time of year as many players take extended summer vacations and don't want to have to watch investments while travelling or spending time with the kids on Summer Break. So, a single days trading does not entail a trend change. It could very well be the annual May selloff before Summer.

That being said everyone who remembers me from the 07-09 time frame should remember I'm generally inclined to be bearish. The market is massively overvalued and to be honest, it wouldn't shock or surprise me for the DOW, S&P, or Nasdaq to lose a third or more of their value on short order. Looking into how to make money off of stocks going down is fun. I'll probably kick myself in the ass till the day I die for not buying more Bear Sterns puts than I did in early 08.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RisenMessiah
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I should have said fake gold. Most of the gold we buy today in retail is only 24 K. It's useless.

Do you know the difference between 10k, 14k, 22k, and 24k? 24K is the purest gold you can get. Perhaps you meant gold-plated retail items?

Here is a guide to gold purity for your reference

www.mygoldguide.in...

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I should have said fake gold. Most of the gold we buy today in retail is only 24 K. It's useless.

Do you know the difference between 10k, 14k, 22k, and 24k? 24K is the purest gold you can get. Perhaps you meant gold-plated retail items?

www.mygoldguide.in...

Sorry but overseas most gold dealers laugh at gold purchased in America and other western countries. Real gold is soft and 24K is hard for a reason.. Not Picking on you or those who want to say 24k is pure, just most of the non-western world says BS on 24k. The wedding ring I wear if removed and if I were to bite down would be dented; it is 99.9??% pure gold.. Also real pure gold does not have the color of the 24k stuff.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

www.mygoldguide.in...

Sorry but overseas most gold dealers laugh at gold purchased in America and other western countries. Real gold is soft and 24K is hard for a reason.. Not Picking on you or those who want to say 24k is pure, just most of the non-western world says BS on 24k. The wedding ring I wear if removed and if I were to bite down would be dented; it is 99.9??% pure gold.. Also real pure gold does not have the color of the 24k stuff.

24 k gold is soft not sure what your talking about. 24k gold is pure gold oh and if your wedding ring isn't gold colored than its probably fake. This happens a lot on non western countries where bronze alloys are sold as gold.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

You're right silver is good for many things. Smart guy. But with buying colloidal silver, there is only one i trust. People claim a lot of things but they never ever deliver.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

hey thanks I will take a look at that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Your a bit off the mark. Gold bullion is as close to 24k anybody will get, and will usually have triple or quad nines purity. Pure gold is very very malleable and soft. If you have a gold ring that was pure, it would easily give to the pressure applied from squeezing it with only moderate force. That is why in jewelry, especially in America where people don't care for a damn thing, usually the average purity is 10-14k . You can find 18k in America as well, but most jewelers will not stock as much because it is more delicate and know the American market is rather reckless with their property and customers prefer a more stronger alloy.

Outside of America though, the average jeweler stocks more of 18, 20, and 22k even. It is not often you will find someone selling 24k jewelry anywhere, mostly because it is so delicate and easy to damage even unintentionally.

But forget jewelry, that is literally the most expensive way to buy gold, and you will usually never get back what you paid for it unless you sell to an interested private buyer. No matter how good condition your jewelry is, second hand commercial buyers will almost always try to offer you junk gold price on it, or simply pass.

What everyone should be into is bullion, particularly government minted. I acquire all of my holdings of gold and silver in government minted bullion. 100oz bars I go RCM, 1 ouncers I stick to Eagles or Maples, and fractional I just go with pre-65 usa currency coins. I do find that private mint has better premiums sometimes on their fractional sizes, but usually only under a quarter ounce.

Regardless, back OT, this drop today is not one isolated incident. As I mentioned on page one, there are many warning signs popping up that we have been reporting all year. They just get overshadowed with the daily two minutes hate of Trump, which really has become a 24/7 operation by not only the MSM, but in all social media and alt forums as well.

The world wants everybody to focus on Trump for a very specific reason, and it has virtually nothing to do with alleged Russian collusion or how #ty he may be as a person.

Its to distract from primarily the shifting of the world reserve currency away from the dollar that has been unfolding for the last couple years, and gone full steam ahead starting this year. By the time October comes around, the markets will be #, and anyone who is still surprised by it is pretty much a buffoon themselves at this point.

Anybody with a slight concern for their portfolios and retirement funds has already figured out the typical crash pattern and learned to adjust accordingly to actually profit from the next serious crash. Those who clown us for it will still be completely perplexed as to why they continue to be surprised by these events.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

There is plenty of people selling 24k gold.

What are you talking about?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

When you start to pitch your 24K Gold, please p.m. me. I''l be glad to come and get it.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
In the past stocks would reach unrealistic highs based on projected growth. If that growth materialized the stock continued to grow. If that growth did not materialize the stock would crash, or at least pull back to realistic levels. Many stocks today are experiencing unrealistic highs based on huge cash reserves, not projected growth or volume. This has the singular fault of being tied directly to the value of the currency. Without the promise of government the currency is paper and nothing more. There is no tangible value or asset to promote its viability other than the idea that there will continue to be a demand for it in the future.

We've known for a long time now that our current financial system is untenable. Its basically nothing more than a giant ponzi scheme. You simply cannot solve a credit crisis with more credit. The future is going to be very different from the past in one significant way - the world economy will not continue to grow.

The economy has been propped up with more and more credit, and some slight of hand. Eventually the debt will be called in. That will be the moment of insolvency. I believe we will witness events in the US similar to those in Weimar, Germany in WWII. The dollar will be replaced with something else, effectively correcting the value deficit of the currency - at the expense of the general population.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
If you are in America, go to your nearest jewelry store, dealer and ask to see their 24k offerings. Then ask them how much of their stock jewelry of that purity is held in relation to the alloyed durable types. Unless you go to one of those big money renowned dealers, its doubtful you will find any at all. But many of them do sell that purity in bullion form.
I promise you, the majority and highest purity actual jewelry you are going to find at your local American jeweler is 18k.

Here, this company is one of the biggest in my town. They specialize in diamonds, but the highest grade jewelry you can get them in is 18k gold.

a reply to: FamCore
I just decided to check today considering how stinky Wall Street just dove, and lo and behold, my portfolio actually went up!! Only marginally, but my hunch was right on last week. Friday night I logged in and sold off most of my positions in equity funds that are available through the 401k which I self direct. I then put them in a real assets fund, which is the fund offered that invests in physical assets such as metals, real estate, other commodities and utility companies.

I was seeing how the equity funds were gaining good numbers, and saw how metals tanked, knew it would not stay that way, and made a swap. Log story short, I actually profited from this small market correction. I feel a bit more confident that my studying and research of the last few years is paying off, and am more than ready to make money from the impending market crash likely happening this fall.
edit on 5-17-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
350 drop isn't that unusual for a day, lets see what tomorrow brings. The turmoil the liberals and MSM are making in Washington will probably cause it's collapse, I hope all the MSM networks crash bad. It will teach these people to stop screwing with our government. Of course, MSM will try to pin it on Trump.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 03:29 AM
link   

The gold we buy is 99.9% pure guarantied ( I honestly don't care if it is or not as long as they pay me market rates). Even the one ounce bars have a stamp and are weighted as 99.9% pure. No argument either way from me I just know how the gold dealers react when you bring something in from the states to sell. The market price for gold on any given day is what we receive for our foreign/incountry gold by weight no questions asked.

When the market reached over 1800USD we sold a bunch and waited. Then went back in at a little over 1100USD.. still waiting for it to peak again and I will unload again or live off the earnings depending on how the world turns...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
See your talking bullion, and that make sense. triple and quad nines is pretty much the same as 24k/23.9999. It sounded to me like you were referring to jewelry earlier, and in the states most jewelry is 18k or lower. Jewelry is an unwise way to get gold as an investment was really the main point I was trying to drive home though.

Are you in Singapore by chance, and what coins does your government mint put out for sale, if applicable??

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
See your talking bullion, and that make sense. triple and quad nines is pretty much the same as 24k/23.9999. It sounded to me like you were referring to jewelry earlier, and in the states most jewelry is 18k or lower. Jewelry is an unwise way to get gold as an investment was really the main point I was trying to drive home though.

Are you in Singapore by chance, and what coins does your government mint put out for sale, if applicable??

No I bounce between Thailand and other garden spots in Asia. The gold we buy is either in jewelry (I have a wife) or the one ounce bars... There is a gold dealer on just about every corner in any city in S.E. Asia.... If you are selling Jewelry you usually will lose the 30 to 60$ (depending on how large, the original cost, and how detailed the piece of jewelry is) you have to pay for the original manufacturing process which ain't bad considering the labor is so cheap.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Fantastic explanation. Could you please elaborate on what you meant by "I believe we will witness events in the US similar to those in Weimar, Germany in WWII"? What specifically do you think might happen when the debt is called in? Other than chaos and painful economic times?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Fantastic explanation. Could you please elaborate on what you meant by "I believe we will witness events in the US similar to those in Weimar, Germany in WWII"? What specifically do you think might happen when the debt is called in? Other than chaos and painful economic times?

Thank you. :-)

Weimar experienced a bout of hyperinflation. It was literally a wheelbarrow full of cash for a loaf of bread kind of thing. The solution was to cancel the standing currency and exchange it, at a severely discounted rate, for the new currency effectively ending the hyperinflation.

With so much unsupported paper in the system its just a matter of time. When the debt is called in, by whomever, the paper they are offered as currency may not be an acceptable form of payment. Remember, at this point the US is basically insolvent so our currency is extremely devalued. The solution is to replace the US dollar with something else. The problem is that people will go to bed one night with $100,000 dollars in the bank and wake up with $10,000 America bucks (or whatever name they come up with). This is not a new idea, but the conditions for it to happen have never been better.

There will be chaos. The initial shock and subsequent fear will be intense. But people will survive. In the long run it will work out. Its just that first few months that will be the big period of adjustment that will hurt the most. I can't remember the name, but there was a guy who did a rather thorough study on this including "subjective wellness". He noted that people in Indonesia for example, make pennies on the dollar compared to the US but on a subjective wellness scale they were just as happy in their daily lives as we were. In other words, people can live with less. Its just a matter of getting used to it. The abundance of everything, something America is famous for, will be no more.

Initially it will be much like the great depression. From Black Tuesday 1929 to the mid 1930s the stock market lost 90% of its value. That left people with real fear of whether they would have basic necessities, food and water, on a daily basis. Roughly 1/3 of the US population lived in a family in which no one had a job. In today's world that equates to around 115,000,000 people. That is one long soup line...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

A star for that fantastic explanation. Thanks for spreading the knowledge...

If the average american only knew what you just explained, this whole country would be in flames within the hour.

Hopefully I can exchange my cash for land in the near future. The only thing they're not making more of.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join