It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiverse: have astronomers found evidence of parallel universes?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

They call it the multiverse. It’s a cosmos in which there are multiple universes. And by multiple, I mean an infinite number. These uncountable realms sit side by side in higher dimensions that our senses are incapable of perceiving directly.

Yet increasingly astronomers and cosmologists seem to be invoking the multiverse to explain puzzling observations.

It sounds bonkers but the latest piece of evidence that could favour a multiverse comes from the UK’s Royal Astronomical Society. They recently published a study on the so-called ‘cold spot’. This is a particularly cool patch of space seen in the radiation produced by the formation of the Universe more than 13 billion years ago.

The cold spot was first glimpsed by NASA’s WMAP satellite in 2004, and then confirmed by ESA’s Planck mission in 2013. It is supremely puzzling. Most astronomers and cosmologists believe that it is highly unlikely to have been produced by the birth of the universe as it is mathematically difficult for the leading theory – which is called inflation – to explain.
www.theguardian.com...

Very heady story, but there is a "cold spot" in the universe ( first seen by NASA’s WMAP satellite in 2004) and one theory is it is from a collision between our universe and a bubble universe. Every combination of every possible outcomes is a daunting thought, and this is what the multi universe means.
Of course there are people who do not agree and Paul Steinhardt, Princeton University disagrees with the multi theory even though he helped to write the original theory.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
They are only say "it could be" because they have no idea yet.

But it's not evidence of multiple universes anymore than the "Mandela effect" is.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
They are only say "it could be" because they have no idea yet.

But it's not evidence of multiple universes anymore than the "Mandela effect" is.

Equating the evidence provided in the cold spot theory to the Mandela effect is asinine.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

When and how are they ever going to prove this?

I can't imagine what the equations look like that are used to try to prove this, and what is proof going to look like?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
originally posted by: seasonal

... This is a particularly cool patch of space seen in the radiation produced by the formation of the Universe more than 13 billion years ago.
...Most astronomers and cosmologists believe that it is highly unlikely to have been produced by the birth of the universe as it is mathematically difficult for the leading theory – which is called inflation – to explain.

Unless there was something that got in the way of the expanding universe and it created the cold spot because the expanding universe never filled that bit.

Meaning..."dun-dun-daaaaa!"....something was there BEFORE the big bang.

edit on 17/5/2017 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
If true..
I would ask what is beyond the multiverse
Where does it end, and if it ends some place with a wall
whats behind it.. and so and so..

Drives me insane..
The word infinite is infinite puzzling to the human mind

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Worry not friend, our wetware can not grasp the concept even if we wanted to.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The more we learn, the less we know.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

Honestly I get lost in the weeds with this kind of subject matter.

And I am reluctant to dive too deep, there are other things that I am still nuts for-right now is JFK and just last night was Kodak and film developing (faking) night at my house.
edit on 17-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I always like to speculate dreams are a part of going somewhere that exists, but perhaps somewhere else we can't technically call there? At least this one I had that was pretty fun and fairly real likes me to believe so.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

Isn't there a theory that when people use hallucinogenic drugs they maybe connecting with other 'universes'?

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
If true..
I would ask what is beyond the multiverse
Where does it end, and if it ends some place with a wall
whats behind it.. and so and so..

Drives me insane..
The word infinite is infinite puzzling to the human mind

Yup.

I see it something like an ant in a tree wondering what's off in the distance on the other side of the tree. Little does it know the tree is in a forest on the edge of a town in a region in a country on a continent on a planet in a solar system in a galaxy in a universe etc etc etc...

Unless we sort things out on this ball of dirt to ensure we can exist long enough, I see the search for answers way out in space as kind of futile. If anything, we should explore the oceans on our own doorstep more.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Some have suggested that there may be some problems with the reliability of red shift. And that could explain anomalies like this or dark matter.

Of course, that idea remains pretty fringe at this point. But even the big bang theory was fringe not that long ago.

But, again, fascinating stuff.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The cosmic inflation controversy.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I was thinking the other night What if our Universe has a center/stem being fed by a black hole type and is symmetrical in a Orbit within the multiverse? Every thing we see is symmetrical why not the universe what if our universe has some sort/type of atmosphere and we are orbiting some Sun/power source within the multiverse?
edit on 5/17/2017 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Cool, so they found the gateway to Heaven and/or Hell.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Would be fascinating if the cold spot was an ultra massive, super low density black hole.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

A Crude diagram of what I was thinking .. I know I'm Nutz

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

It can be perplexing if you think about it.

If there are indeed different universes is there different physics. Different non carbon based living beings? It can literally go on and on.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I've always kind of went with the theory that the multiverse is like a lot of bubbles side by side where the edges touch but the "walls" of the bubbles prevent interaction between universes. Wormholes in theory could be gateways between universes, and maybe this cold spot is where our universes "wall" touches another universes "wall", although I would 'assume' that with that interaction of walls there would be heat from friction of the walls touching, this is assuming that both universes are in an expanding state as our is to be said to be doing.

Here is an interesting paper on multiverses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join