It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IBM Inches Closer To Quantum Supremacy With 16- And 17-Qubit Quantum Computers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The future will be radically different in 20-30 years. These things are accelerating because of the explosion of big data.

IBM Inches Closer To Quantum Supremacy With 16- And 17-Qubit Quantum Computers

IBM announced that it has built two new quantum computers, which number 16 and 17 qubits, respectively. The 16-qubit computer will be available to developers and researchers at no cost through the IBM Cloud service. The 17-qubit quantum computer will be sold as a prototype commercial product to other companies.

The 16-qubit quantum computer will allow more complex experimentation than its previous five-qubit system, according to IBM. It will be freely accessible to developers, programmers, and researchers who want to run quantum algorithms, work with individual qubits, or explore tutorials and simulations. Beta access is available through the IBM Quantum Experience program, and a new software development kit (SDK) is available on GitHub.

IBM and Google believe that “quantum supremacy,” or the moment when quantum computers will solve at least some problems faster than the fastest supercomputers on Earth, will be achieved when we can build a quantum computer with around 50 qubits. Both companies plan to have such a computer ready in the next few years.

Over the next few years, IBM plans to increase the quantum volume of its qubits even more aggressively by improving all aspects of its quantum processors, including increasing their qubit number to 50 or more.

www.tomshardware.com...

Remember, Google and IBM are talking about universal quantum computers. Their already up to 17 qubits. They estimate 50 qubits will reach quantum supremacy.

We're building a future world that will be free of organic humans.

Organic humans will first become partially than fully digital.

Eventually we will accept that we're living in a quantum simulation. When you look at the 1st video, he talks about simulating nature. the simple question will be asked. If we can simulate the universe on a quantum computer down to the smallest detail, why aren't we living in a quantum simulation?

Many people are asking these questions now and they should be. It's the only thing that makes sense when you look at current scientific understanding.

It wasn't blind materialism somehow magically creating a universe where information increased. Information increased because of something we know can increase it and that's computation.

This also tells us that there's way more advanced universes out there than our. The quantum universe would have calculated our universe and trillions of other universes but the quantum universe would no longer calculate universes that aren't more advanced than ours. That's not the way quantum computation works.

We could be a calculation in a quantum universe.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

D-wave had 1000 qbits back in 2015.

In the process of 2000 qbits now.

D-wave

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

D-wave is important but it's not a universal quantum computer.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Now I have to research the difference, thanks for pointing that out.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I found this article that makes sense to me.
Google moves closer to a universal quantum computer

So what IBM and Google have come up with is basically a quantum computer that can be used for multiple tasks?

And the D-wave, with all its Q-bits is designed specifically for 1 task?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Still trying to wrap my meager brain around this technology.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Quantum computing is good for some things but not others, some sort of hybrid design probably where you can switch depending on need but they need to make the Q systems more usable in normal environments as all the cryo gas and other stuff to maintain it won't be of much interest to the average business that needs a bit more pew pew and probably order entry/sales processing/billing etc won't at the moment be worth spending that much money on something that runs at a lot lower processing time with a much higher operating cost than a few racks in a secure area with some A/C etc.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I get that solving NP problems in P time is useful for decryption/spying but with the speed of normal computers I do not see this as a really big break thru for computing.

It will push the entanglement communication further so that people teleport information so that no one can look at the data.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleByLittle

...I think you're vastly under estimating the value of quantum computing. Classical computing isn't going away and quantum is the bridge to further advance that.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What it should be thought of as post ww2 computing where there was all sorts of theories and ideas but after a bit of time we picked certain tech and thus we're where we are today, no one is running machines with mercury delay tubes other than in a historical context etc.

Got to admit when I read some of the quantum stuff in the late 1990's the maths while do able was shall we say very eye opening and lets just say not really for the graduate level as it would of been more for the maths side than comp-sci

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

It's stuff like that that makes me have no worries at all about who is running our government. One day our tech is going to make governments obsolete.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   

This is all very well and technological relevant to humanity broaching the singularity within the next 50-100 years.

But what i want to know is that given that there is now a distinct possibility that we do indeed exist within a quantum universe. A simulation, or far more probable, a simulation of a simulation, when will we, or will we ever attain the ability to alter the code that must, to a degree or fashion shape our reality?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
double post
edit on 18-5-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Good question and the answer might be never.

I have been thinking about this for awhile and I think the code might be protected in a way that we can never get to it. Here's a talk by John Preskill that asks is spacetime an error correcting code.

The importance of entanglement is growing and it's connected to everything from the Holographic universe to gravity.

Here's another article:

How spacetime is built by quantum entanglement

A collaboration of physicists and a mathematician has made a significant step toward unifying general relativity and quantum mechanics by explaining how spacetime emerges from quantum entanglement in a more fundamental theory. The paper announcing the discovery by Hirosi Ooguri, a Principal Investigator at the University of Tokyo's Kavli IPMU, with Caltech mathematician Matilde Marcolli and graduate students Jennifer Lin and Bogdan Stoica, will be published in Physical Review Letters as an Editors' Suggestion "for the potential interest in the results presented and on the success of the paper in communicating its message, in particular to readers from other fields."

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon whereby quantum states such as spin or polarization of particles at different locations cannot be described independently. Measuring (and hence acting on) one particle must also act on the other, something that Einstein called "spooky action at distance." The work of Ooguri and collaborators shows that this quantum entanglement generates the extra dimensions of the gravitational theory.

phys.org...

This is important because quantum entanglement is tied to quantum error correction. So quantum entanglement would be protecting the qubits or quantum information that code our universe.

So we don't know how protected the code is. Whoever put it there may have added some virus that reboots the system if we try to hack into the code. So everything would collapse back into an apparent singularity or we may fall into a true vacuum.

On the other hand, we might be able to manipulate certain features of the universe without knowing the logical qubits that code the universe but just the error correcting code.

It's like certain folders on your computer. Some are well protected and before you open them, you're warned that if you change anything you may ruin your entire system.

So you can see why certain features of the universe may be very well protected.

There could also be parts that allow for more fluctuations between parallel universes in the simulation. So small things can fluctuate between universes and we call those things coincidences.

We just explain everything away.

I remember one night going to sleep and putting my keys next to my bed. When I woke up, my keys were on the TV stand. Classical common sense says, I made a mistake and I really set my keys on the TV stand. Quantum common sense might say I went to sleep in a universe where I put my keys next to my bed but I woke up in a universe where I put my keys on my TV stand.

So these small fluctuations may occur because they will always be explained away as coincidence. A much larger fluctuation can't occur though like waking up and Trump isn't President or Obama wasn't the President for the last 8 years.

This could occur because certain parts of the code could be well preserved while others are open to more variations and fluctuations.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Maybe if we ever attain the ability to edit or manipulate this alleged underlying source code that shapes our reality and existence we will decide to create our own simulation.

Hence perpetuate a never ending cycle of universe. Such a concept may even explain or at least address what happened pre big bang/singularity.

All thought from our perspective it would still remain unobservable, just like 95% of the rest of the universe.

Possibly the ability to edit or change such parameters may even allow one to create divergent timelines, or even your very own pocket universe, certainly adds some spin to the multiverse theory of a sorts.

new topics

top topics

join